12 hour shifts?

Discussion in 'New England Area Law Enforcement' started by **Sox Appeal**, Sep 8, 2012.

1. **Sox Appeal**

**Sox Appeal** MassCops Member

I work for a sheriff's office in South Carolina and 12hr shifts are the primary shifts worked in my area. Can anyone please tell me any departments in NH, VT, RI or ME that work 12hrs?

2. mtc

mtc High Priestess Staff Member

3. Harley387

Harley387 MassCops Member

I work 12's on a Pittman schedule. What information are you looking for?

4. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

RISP does 12hr shifts I believe

5. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

FUUUUUUCK THAT STUPID SHIT!!!!!!! My guys answer 10 to 30 calls in an 8 hour shift, they don't need 4 more hours to add to that total!!!

6. **Sox Appeal**

I'll bust my ass for 12 hours to have every other Fri, Sat and Sun off compared to having a Fri and Sat off every six weeks :)

I'm just looking for depts that work 12hrs so I can check them out and see if it is somewhere I would want to work. I've worked 12hrs for 10+ years now and don't really want to work anything else because I love the schedule so much.

Hush, lofu and frank like this.
  7. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Three days off one week and four days off the next week...what's not to love? Studies have shown that cops need more than two days off in a week to decompress.

Lots of firefighters only work two days a week. When is the last time you heard of a nozzle dragger having burn-out issues?

Joel98, lofu and adroitcuffs like this.
  8. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

I've found the only bad thing about working 12 shifts is the overtime. My guys routinely work 14 and 15 hours shifts because of it. The lack of sleep during the three working days certainly doesn't help. However, they all love having four days off a week.

adroitcuffs, Joel98 and lofu like this.
  9. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

I'm willing to guess there are departments who's officers answer as many if not more during 12 hour shifts. See LACopper for details...

Joel98, Mr Scribbles and LA Copper like this.
  10. 263FPD

263FPD Administrator Staff Member

I work five 8 hour and 40 minute shifts per week with three days off. I think I'll stay with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. 263FPD

I have to say that after looking at your profile, I am quite impressed. To have "10+ years" at the age of 28 is astounding. How did you manage to land a LE job at the age of not quite 18?

Unless you purposely lied about your DOB, by BS radar went in to overdrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMCMP5811, fra444 and mpd61 like this.
  12. **Sox Appeal**

HAHAHAAH 5 years dispatch. 5 years patrol = 10+yrs.

13. Deuce

Deuce screw you...

I'd much rather work a 5 off and 2 on, 8 hr shift sched.. Anyone know of a dept that works that schedule please let me know....

14. Deuce

Deuce screw you...

Well duuuhh... And NO nights or weekends or holidays...

15. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

Citizens police academy and police explorers count right ?

16. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

Ya GMASS, my buddy on RISP was doing nights and he seemed to like it last I spoke to him.

17. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

I'm pretty certain most Campus PD's and the VA Cops do the 5/2 x 8 hour thing.
    ;)
    The 12 hour shifts that go like 4/3 and 3/4 days works AWESOME!!!! But some agency's do the 12 hours by the "Panama Schedule" Stoopid.

Inspector71 likes this.
  18. **Sox Appeal**

HAHAHAHHA 5 years Dispatch, 5 years patrol = 10+yrs.
    I NEVER specified that it was all 10yrs patrol. There ya go assuming.

19. Deuce

Deuce screw you...

I'm thinking more like Tue/Thu..

20. 263FPD

I don't assume anything. You implied it. I also am aware that it is not often a civilian dispatcher is made to work 12 hours straight. 12 hours in front of a computer screen can make you fuck up. And if you fuck up after 12 hours, I could get FUCKED up after 12 hours on the road. You said
    So I made an informed and educated guess. If I am wrong, then I am wrong. Yet I still err on the side of caution. We have many people coming on this forum and claiming to b something they are not.

USMCMP5811, zm88 and fra444 like this.
  21. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

Here we go again! How many times do I have to friggen tell you? I AM Batman!

Mr Scribbles likes this.
  22. niteowl1970

I tell people I'm in emergency communications not law enforcement... Just sayin.

zm88 likes this.
  23. mtc

mtc High Priestess Staff Member

Pfft !! I tell them I'm the cleaning lady !!

adroitcuffs, frank and niteowl1970 like this.
  24. niteowl1970

LOL !

25. BlueknightLA

BlueknightLA New Member

Just signed up and this is my first post. Hello everyone. Im a Mass native and Los Angeles Police Officer for last 11 years. We work the 3/12's shift and also a 4/10 hour shift. Its a great to have the extra days off and truthfully, I've never had a hard time staying alert during the shifts. Of course a little caffeine always helps.