12 hour shifts?

Discussion in 'New England Area Law Enforcement' started by **Sox Appeal**, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Mr Scribbles

Mr Scribbles Mr Scribbles44.blogspot.com

I used to tell citizens I ran a cigar shop, but my true job eventually found its way into the conversation (usually under the influence of truth serum a/k/a BOOZE)
    As far as 12 hours, it would be restful, my Dept's so short staffed, if you don't pull a detail or Court (16hrs/day) you're getting ORDERED for an extra shift.BTW most civilans can't grasp the concept ofordered OT...

USMCMP5811 and mpd61 like this.
  2. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Hi there,

Welcome to the mix. I wonder if we know each other?

3. BlueknightLA

BlueknightLA New Member

LA Copper, Im sure we've passed each other somewhere. Im in HOBK right now but have worked all over Cent and South Bureaus.

4. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

When is the last time you knew a buckethead actually working regularly?! Going in to work and hanging with the boys isn't work. Plus bucketheads also work 24 hour shifts, are you saying we could hump calls 24 hours straight on a regular basis?
    I don't need to see LA for details, I couldn't care less. The guys I work with work 1 man cars and are often wondering if they CAN GET backup. 8 hours is long enough for me.

5. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

I'm not saying that the professions are similar...as Bruce would say - we would be comparing apples to moonrocks.

However, if they put in the effort while they are sitting on their asses to figure out what might work best for them, it's worth thinking about how that could be tweaked for police work.

Granted, it may not work in your community, but given that something is broken, when you are high enough on the totem pole that you may have some impact - I feel it is definitely worth brainstorming about.

fra444 likes this.
  6. mtc

mtc High Priestess Staff Member

LOVE those days off !!

7. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

If I would of had Tue/Wed off I could of spent more time at Occupy Wall Street. :confused:

fra444 likes this.
  8. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

I love 3/12's or even 4/10's......my last dept worked 4/10's and I loved having the 3 days off.

adroitcuffs likes this.
  9. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

I just know I see guys coming in burnt and tired after 8 and have a hard time envisioning 10 or 12 hr shifts every night.

10. Goose

I'm not doubting it and I have worked both sides of the coin. My view was that two hours really isn't that much longer once you are already at work and you get an extra day off for it. It doesn't feel any longer psychologically.

If you get the opportunity, I highly recommend trying it out.

Sent from my POS using Tapatalk 2

Joel98 likes this.
  11. 263FPD

263FPD Administrator Staff Member

Hey!!! Who makes that phone? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMCMP5811, frank and LawMan3 like this.
  12. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

The Trial Court may be hiring in October :cool:

13. niteowl1970

yeah and they get to tell sworn police officers that they can't carry their firearms inside the building.

14. Goose

Samsung. :D

USMCMP5811 and 263FPD like this.
  15. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

[​IMG]

16. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

Not at their turnover rate Yuk, Yuk!!!:p

17. adroitcuffs

adroitcuffs Subscribing Member

FWIW, my first year was in dispatch and we worked 12 hour shifts. What really sucked was when my relief was on restricted hours due to her pregnancy & I ended up working 14-15 hours for my 4 days. At the time, I only lived about a mile from the dept, otherwise I don't know how I would've survived.

As for patrol, I've worked 8's, 10's, and 12's over my career. The 12-hour shifts were great (4 days on, 3 off, 3 on, 4 off) - you can do a lot with 4 days off without burning vacation time (It made me bi-coastal, lol.). Downside was working nights & having court during the day, especially if court was an hour away. I can't tell you how many times I worked 18 hour shifts though. Countless times, if a night guy called in sick, someone would volunteer for the first half & I'd take the 2nd half, which meant working midnight to 1800. Of course, we didn't have details so the ot was mostly welcomed!

USMCMP5811 and Joel98 like this.
  18. robodope

robodope MassCops Member

4 ten hour days on 4 off..love it

19. mtc

We "cleaning ladies" work 4/2 8 hour shifts... though our relief is far less than reliable and we are often held to the next shift for a 16 hour screwing, then drive home for 45 minutes with the assholes that can't drive, while fighting to stay awake.

Then add the office politics and life sucking personalities and blatant favoritism...it's a suck situation.

I've slept about 20 hours in the last 24.... put my head down "for a minute" 6 hours ago...

Sufficed to say, I've crashed, and don't really give a flying one for the rest of the week - only for the fact we're training a new dispatcher, and with ZAXXON deliberately trying to overwhelm her, she needs all the interference run for her she can get.

fra444 likes this.
  20. niteowl1970

USMCMP5811, USM C-4, frank and 2 others like this.
  21. mtc

LMAO !!!

22. LawMan3

LawMan3 Moderator Staff Member

That's like calling yourself an astronaut because you did a Wikipedia search of the big dipper. LMFAO!

fra444 and mtc like this.
  23. **Sox Appeal**

**Sox Appeal** MassCops Member

Not often but possible.

24. Inspector71

Inspector71 Duke of Campus Police

True since like 1989...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. USM C-4

USM C-4 MassCops Member

Loved it!