2013 Civil Service Exam thread (all discussions belong here; no need for new threads)

Discussion in 'Civil Service' started by johnjohn, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't not like it, I appreciate hearing all points of view even though I don't always have to agree. Thanks for the input kw, you have given me a lot of good information in the past.

2. Beargrylls

Beargrylls MassCops Member

Just wondering if anyone has any idea about the two scores? Got a 97 for the police test then an email today saying I got a 96.76 for the state police test. Does the first score contain my vet points? The state test says to add two points to the score because it's not included. Just wondering why two diff scores for the same test. Also wondering if the score the trooper test would be rounded up for the purpose of getting a letter or are they really going to be taking the scores down to the .25 percentage. Therefore a candidate could miss out based on .25 a point. Anyone have any info on anything feel free to post it. Thanks guys

3. Biggie862005

Biggie862005 MassCops Member

How exactly does residency work, out of curiosity? For example would someone with residency preference in a town scoring a 95 get a call before someone without residency scoring higher? If so, without residency, are you completely screwed? I ask because at the time of this test I lived in a non civil service town, and could not claim residency :( Thanks in advance

My understanding, as Ive been told, is that a resident scoring say a 70 will get a call before a non resident scoring say a 90. This cant be true, can it??

4. questions like this and many others I have read today should be common knowledge for anyone seriously interested in a LE career in MA, and even if its not common knowledge for some....all of these questions can be answered by simply doing some research. I'm not in LE yet and not an active user on here but I can definitely see where the hostility of some of the masscops veterans come fromo_O

5. Biggie862005

Thanks for the response. I tried doing a little searching around here and came up with nothing, also looked on mass gov and couldnt find what I was looking for. I appologize for this not being common knowledge to me.

6. you dont know the simplest questions in regards to residency preference....you did not do any searching. A simple google of "MA civil service residency preference" would have got you plenty of info

7. MA12Local

MA12Local MassCops Member

Here's how I understand it...

CS Depts:
    402a (parent LEO)
    402b (parent LEO)
    Disabled Vet with residency
    Vet with residency
    Civilian with residency
    Disabled Vet no res
    Vet no res
    Civilian no res

State Police:
    402a (parent a trooper)
    402b (parent a trooper)
    Vet/Disabled Vet + 2 points, but no absolute preference over civilians

Massachusetts law (G.L. Chapter 31, Sec. 58) permits cities and towns to ask that residents be placed on entry-level police and firefighter eligible lists before nonresidents. A "resident" is a person who has lived in the same city or town for the full year before the date of the examination. For example, if you took an examination on April 27, 1996, .you would have to live in a single city or town from April 27, 1995, to April 26, 1996, to claim residency.

USAF88 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. for how it technically works....mass.gov, or what the above poster just pasted. for the theory of how it works, you will get 100 different answers. From personal experience, I have seen vets hired over non vets, non residents over resident vets/non vets, 92's hired over 99's, etc etc....depends on many factors during the process. your best chance is to have residency and score very high, but if you cant pass a background check of a fitness test why even bother taking the test

9. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

This question has been asked and answers numerous times in the six years I've been on this board, by me on a couple occasions. Use your Google-fu and do some digging.

That said, I think guys need to take a chill pill. Hell, I have eight years civil service with a municipality job, I'm like a kid in a candy store with the prospect of a good MSP score.

We should all remember when we wanted it so bad we could taste it. Keeps ya humble.

Dan Stark likes this.
  10. 9C1Impala

9C1Impala MassCops Member

It does seem odd that people who are attempting to gain employment in such a competitive field like law enforcement in MA haven't yet researched what type of process they need to overcome to reach their goal and how that process works.

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk

1911shooter123 likes this.
  11. ok this may be a dumb question, I haven't been able to find an answer for regarding the PAT.

I know what the state police PAT consist of per mass.gov prep guide, but I cant figure out if its the same for municipal depts.? From what I have seen the municipal only consist of 1 ob course, trigger pull, separation. NO 1.5 run for municipal depts.?

12. RTC#306

RTC#306 MassCops Member

I too have this same question.

I have a 99 for the Municipal/MBTA list and a 98.99 for the MSP list? o_O

I apologize in advance if i missed anything in the fine print, but I have read it over and over until I was cross eyed...

13. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

Anyone getting 3 scores? This is crazy!!! HRD must be getting lots of calls today. Good thing My dad is good friends with Ed Markey so this test is just a formality for me.

pahapoika, grn3charlie, mtc and 6 others like this.
  14. Biggie862005

Thanks! This was how I understood it as well. Shooter also touched on my confusion. Impala, i am aware of the process, thanks for your concern. I guess I should be more specific. I know a vet gets preference over civ, resident over non res etc. My confusion lies in the test numbers. Its hard to put into words what I'm asking, but do they do this process for each number score? As in, vets with 95-residents with 95- non res 95 before moving down to individuals with a 94? Or do they seeks vets first regardless of score, followed by residents regardless of score, and lastly non res? Hopefully that is a little more clear. Thanks again gentlemen.

15. Soap

Soap MassCops Member

I have a friend of mine who scored a 94, and she just got another score of 93.99

16. I think your over thinking this, and I think your question was answered above? It depends on who is hiring and how many spots are open but I canT imagine why someone would send a card to joe some from Idaho with a 95 when there are 10 other residents...vet or not with 95s

17. RTC#306

RTC#306 MassCops Member

Hmm

Interesting! Hope HRD provides some clarification on this soon. This has peaked my curiosity as to how they actually calculate the results.

18. I have a friend who theoretically should have scored well but got an email saying he failed....guess he should dig a little deeper into it

19. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

One is probably a raw score, the other is either rounded up or down. The score with a decimal and two numbers in the tenths and hundredths is likely to assist the MSP in ranking each individual test taker more accurately and help them in sending out cards. This isn't a hard fact, merely an educated guess. Don't PM me with any questions because I don't have the answers, just trying to help everyone possibly understand why there are two scores.

20. TopCop24

TopCop24 Working in the land of misfit toys

I got a 96 for the state test...what are my chances of getting on?

mtc, Bloodhound and niteowl1970 like this.
  21. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

You're screwed. World needs plenty of bahtendahs, kid.

;)

TopCop24, mtc and LawMan3 like this.
  22. Beargrylls

Beargrylls MassCops Member

Seems like the question of the day is..... Do they round up the state police score when they make the list or is the list going to be made from the score with the decimal.

23. uspresident1

uspresident1 MassCops Member

PM sent. :)

24. Duff112

Duff112 MassCops Member

FIFY... :D

frank likes this.
  25. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Enjoy your vacation. ;)

Just kidding.

uspresident1 likes this.