2015 civil service test ALL POSTS

Discussion in 'Civil Service' started by Rob720, Aug 1, 2014.

1. SouthShoreBrother

SouthShoreBrother MassCops Member

To be fair to that department, just because they chose someone else, doesn't mean there was nepotism involved. It actually makes sense to choose a qualified candidate from that community because there is significantly less of a chance he's only using that department as a stepping stone (something they must see from the majority of mass applicants).
    Same thing with Londonderry, the test was easy so a lot of people crushed it and the PT is pass fail.

This is a huge issue in Law enforcement. The problem isn't necessarily the prevalence of nepotism in the hiring process, its the perception of nepotism in the process. Policing is one of those fields that just happens to run in families. If a relative of yours is a cop, at some point in your life, you're going to seriously consider being a cop. Unlike most other fields, a high percentage of candidates come from LE families, which is no wonder a significant amount of new hires have a connection. Also, growing up with that role model, they're also probably more prepared for the process.

Definitely not saying "hookups" don't happen, but I feel as if it's the exception, and not the rule.

Jamescosta likes this.
  2. DFG212

DFG212 MassCops Member

Thanks alot buddy, I'll give them a call tomorrow! Gotcha, so do you know how Methuen specifically works in terms of getting hired reserve? It is the same process through the Eligibility List getting plucked out and picked or am I able to apply for that directly?

3. DFG212

DFG212 MassCops Member

Update: So I just got my results and I got a 75...unbelievable. But apparently according to this thread that might even be an average score compared to all the 80s people have received.. I swear there's no way I got any of the scenario questions wrong, even double checked everything after I finished through. For the lifestyle questionnaire I went through every single question and back to make sure I was exactly consistent with the questions asking a similar thing. Is there anyway I could dispute that, if so what do I even say?

There goes any hope for the next two years

By the way, I had this attached at the bottom of my e-mail. What does it mean?

"Chapter 31 section 22 of M.G.L General Laws provides that you may submit in writing a request for a review of the scoring of your employment and experience by sending an email to civilservice@state.ma.us"

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  4. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Did you not read the thread? Go back a few pages...

5. SouthShoreBrother

scores this time were low, but not nearly low enough for a 75 to be average. But if your argument is "I swear I answered the questions right", you don't really have much of an appeal. No one left thinking they answered most of them incorrectly. People need to stop blaming the test/nepotism. Accept you scored poorly and figure out what you need to do to increase your score on the next test.

Tomj1501 likes this.
  6. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Don't be that guy, bro.

There's NO study guide available that people can utilize for the test. The personality section is complete bullshit, and everyone knows it.

There's no way to "increase your score" if you don't know how the test is scored.

7. SouthShoreBrother

Then learn how the test is scored. A lot of people have increased their score by choosing strongly agree/strongly disagree. That's just one tip, but there are plenty of tricks to doing better on tests. I just think it's better to look at yourself and figure out how you can improve your own situation, instead of claiming the test was scored incorrectly. A lot of people score in the high 90's every time, so the test is beatable.

8. felony

felony MassCops Member

You're talking out both sides of your mouth. If you're going by strictly the score, I scored higher, I was the best candidate on paper. Every department can bypass for whatever reason they choose. You have no right of appeal. The definition of nepotism was what I just posted. I had family in the area, so saying I wasn't taking the test on a whim.
    Having a hook definitely helps. You're out of your mind if you think it doesn't. I have seen kids get hired simply by word of mouth. This isn't my first day, I took tests for several years before getting OTJ, like many other members here.

9. SouthShoreBrother

How did you know you scored higher? They don't release their list. But more importantly, a high test score alone does not mean you'll be the best candidate. They simply had a test to determine who to interview and then they chose the best candidate (in their opinion) out of the people who scored highest. I'm not saying nepotism doesn't happen, but you can't claim that every time you don't get a job. And maybe those kids that got hired by word of mouth were great candidates. Who knows, I don't know them.

10. SouthShoreBrother

And most of that is anecdotal. I know about 8 guys that got on in my city. No hooks, no military. They just got jobs in corrections/sheriffs department/hospital security and made themselves more appealing to departments. My main point is, there are a lot of young guys on here that are still looking to get on. Far too often people are discouraging by blaming the departments/civil service. I'm saying the opposite. Take responsibility, improve yourself, and make it more difficult for a department to bypass you.

Jamescosta and Rob720 like this.
  11. JD02124

JD02124 Supporting Member

I've been turned down from just about every LEO job I've ever applied to other than the Rangers… on the plus side I did get picked up by Boston Public School PD a few days ago with that being said I got a 93 on the test and even with that and my history and the BPD officers and academy staff I know I still am not placing all my chips on getting on Boston.

FAPD and Goose like this.
  12. SouthShoreBrother

Congrats on the new job

JD02124 likes this.
  13. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

I'll be very unhappy if you don't get on. From the sound of things that 93 sounds like a pretty good mark. Congrats on the school gig. It's a start. At least your on the city payroll. ;)

Good luck with BPD !

JD02124 likes this.
  14. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

vet status & a 93 = you'll be in the first class off the new list. The first classes from the 2011 & 2013 CS exams had civilians in them meaning they went through all of the veterans.

pahapoika likes this.
  15. Pvt. Cowboy

That's your answer? Learn how the test is scored? Are you fuckin serious? Like there's some fuckin hotline you call to find out the scoring criteria for a personality/work styles profile. Right.

I guarantee that I crushed the entire section of the test that was skill based, every time. Know how I know? Because I crushed other similar tests... EVERY TIME. Scored in the top 5 for one particular department, twice, on a non-CS test. It's not hard.

Add in arbitrary questions about whether you like to "close your office door at work" or whether you've had a "verbal argument with a co-worker" and score that? That's BULLSHIT.

PS- EVERYBODY knows the strongly agree/strongly disagree trick. Looks like CS caught on this time.

felony, DFG212 and Goose like this.
  16. SouthShoreBrother

Umm... This is awkward. You do realize that the field of psychology was not created by civil service, right? Certain psychological profiles are a better for for law enforcement, that's all. All you have to do is determine what that profile is and answer accordingly. How are people getting 99's and 100's everytime? Think about that. But they didn't change the strongly agree section. If you call civil service (aka the hotline) they would tell you that lifestyles/personality section was weighted higher this time, which is where most mistakes are made. Not too difficult to figure out.
    But you have to realize that not everyone is fit for law enforcement. Some people just never want to admit that, so they blame cs/the department.

17. Hank Moody

Hank Moody Duder Staff Member

If anyone knows why I continue to poke in here and read this ABORTION of a thread, please PM me so I can unfuck myself. Jesus Christ already !!!

USAF286, FAPD, felony and 4 others like this.
  18. Pvt. Cowboy

Right... CS is the epitome of helpful, and gives away the logic behind their rationale in scoring. It's not like they just this year decided to change the scoring criteria or anything...

But sure, somehow find out the secret recipe for how CS wants to grade and weight their psych section this time, and answer appropriately.

felony likes this.
  19. SouthShoreBrother

I just told you they changed the weight of a couple sections, what's so confusing about that? Some people need to stop trying to "beat" the personality part, and just accept they shouldn't be in policing.

And FYI, the correct answer was clearly "leave your office door open". What kind of psycho would answer differently?

20. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Working for the clampdown

You and me both. It's the proverbial train wreck. Just can't help myself.

Hank Moody likes this.
  21. DFG212

DFG212 MassCops Member

Honestly I have no clue what I did wrong. If there were any way to know I'd feel atleast at ease, and for a $100 dollar test that takes 6 months to grade i'd expect that, at the least. In terms of an appeal, do I just send them an e-mail back? I'm confused about that work history portion in the e-mail.

Yes, read through the whole thing. Didn't see anything specific.

22. Roadhouse69

Roadhouse69 MassCops Member

If you want to appeal your employment points just send them an email (that being points you receive for previous police experience). Otherwise I don't think there's much of an appeal process. They only give you a copy of your answer sheet and not the questions. And I think they mentioned that you can't appeal whether or not you completely filled in the bubbles 100%. Basically a test appeal is pointless unless you remembered all the questions in order.

23. Roadhouse69

Roadhouse69 MassCops Member

We went over the MMPI when I was getting my cj degree. It's basically just giving answers that go along with the personality profile that would make a good cop. After a little research it was relatively easy. Haven't got less than a 98 yet. Not that it really mattered because of all the vets on the list now.

24. DFG212

DFG212 MassCops Member

Ah, I see, thanks alot. Guess I'm assed out for the time being. Being as how I breezed through the first portion of the test i'm going to assume it's the work style questionnaire/personality questions that got me. Still pretty disappointed at the 75 though, I don't even know what to do from here on out.

25. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

After reading all these comments about "personality profile" stuff on the Civil Service test, I can't help but wonder.... shouldn't that type of thing be done by a background investigator who actually interviews a candidate and not leave it up to something so subjective as questions on a written test? There's got to be a better way.

(I took two Civil Service tests back in the 80s and they didn't have the personality stuff on the tests back then, at least not that I remember.)

felony, DFG212, Goose and 2 others like this.