2015 civil service test ALL POSTS

Discussion in 'Civil Service' started by Rob720, Aug 1, 2014.

1. OneRe-TiredMarine

OneRe-TiredMarine MassCops Member

Is safe to say that if you are 1337 and you score a 96%, the individuals that are in 1200 scored a 97%, those in 1124 scored a 98%, those in 1107 scored a 99% and those in 1101 scored 100%.

I scored a 96%, but I have veterans preference and I'm one of the 354 and 4th in my town with only Disable Vets in front. I had a brief conversation with my town HRD and was told that the Mayor is looking to hired 12-16 new officers and about double will be called in. What are some things that I need to know? Since being discharged I have not fully shaved, but I'm assuming I must shave prior to a sit down interview?

2. DucatiGuy

DucatiGuy MassCops Member

Anyone know how to get something updated? I am an EMT, but it does not say so next to my name.

6th on my town list, 1824 is my rank.

3. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

Being a cop is mostly common sense stuff. Like should I wear pants today....or is it a good idea to door kick this hippy who is video tapping me.. Should you shave for an interview... Come on devil... That should be a no brainer.

Contact HR for the cert.

4. OneRe-TiredMarine

Ha, that was a stupid question. LOL
    I already knew the answer, but my point/question was/is the do's and don'ts for the job interview.

I know I'm going to have my resume, HS and College transcripts, reference, social, etc ready, but what else should I have prepare? In addition, the military is all I known so I'm not accustom to job interviews or questions that relate to the job. Was asking for small insights on stuff that I should know to impress and have an advantage.

5. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

They will let you know what paperwork they want from you and should give you enough time to get it to them. Every interview is different with different questions. But I would expect the "why do you want to be a police officer, why this town" and the "what qualities do you bring to the table" . Stay in shape, appearances are important, along with not sucking physically if you get to the academy.

pahapoika likes this.
  6. mlramos

mlramos New Member

I got a 95 and ranked 1556 but have no residency. :( I just had to move smh.

7. Shosh328

Shosh328 MassCops Member

anyone know if these lists are complete as of now? i know they will be adding in some vets as they take make up tests. the reason i ask is there is only one vet on my towns list currently which seems weird as there is usually 10-15. i am acutally one spot higher on my towns list than i was on the 2013 list. in 2013 i scored 99 and 2015 i scored 86

8. Shosh328

Shosh328 MassCops Member

guys who scored in the mid to upper 90's, did you only choose strongly agree/strongly disagree on the personality section or did you choose freely?

9. Umder24

Umder24 New Member

Chose freely and got a 95

10. DucatiGuy

Got a 94. Strongly agree/strongly disagree for me.

11. SeanGibbons

SeanGibbons New Member

Does anyone know how Out of Town Civil Service works, once a town burns through it's list, can they select anyone from the list to interview or do they have to go down the All list in order. I work for a town that has 4 people on its list now but am not a resident, wondering if they will be able to reach me.

12. Tomj1501

Tomj1501 New Member

What happens if your residency is in a non CS town?

13. JDBR26

JDBR26 New Member

I scored low (mid 80's) and I answered strongly agree/strongly disagree. CS must of caught on since the last CS exam, there were hundreds of high 90 scores. and felt like I nailed all the other questions...even had time to double check the 4 that I was pretty sure were correct.
    On another note, my town does not have any female PO's and myself and one other female are on eligibility list. Think this will increase my odd's of getting a shot?

14. tallwill88

tallwill88 MassCops Member

strongly agree/disagree and got a 94

15. Hank Moody

Hank Moody Duder Staff Member

I used mostly "not sure" but I snuck in a #3 pencil, so I got a 100.

pahapoika, HuskyH-2, mtc and 4 others like this.
  16. OneRe-TiredMarine

On general, how long does it take for the entire hiring process?

There should be an academy between Feb and May and wanted to see how soon they will start calling potential candidates.

17. USAF286

USAF286 MassCops Member

Departments vary, but on average I believe it is a couple months. I think the longest portion is the background investigation and how thorough the investigator is. Then there is the PAT, the interview, paperwork..etc. I was contacted in December and was in an academy in February.

18. jmack55

jmack55 New Member

ive read this entire thread and the more i read the more confused i get lol. Is getting on a city department have the same requirements as getting on the state police? Or is this a city only thread?

19. DucatiGuy

Two different organization, two different requirements. State Police have their own exam every couple of years but have recently been picking off last cycles CS exam.

20. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

They haven't had their own exam in 13 years.

21. OneRe-TiredMarine

To all our vets, hope you guys had a great day, enjoyed the free food and received the thanks you guys deserve. THANK YOU!

I had a couple of questions, can you be on the top of the list and not be called in??? In other words, can the township skip you and hire someone lower on the list because of their relationships?

Also, are PAT courses avail to the general public or candidates???? I wanted to see my time and practice/train for it? BTW, Im on westernmass.

PS Where can I find information about age and passing times for each PAT event?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    militia_man likes this.
  22. militia_man

militia_man MassCops Member

The town cannot skip you without cause. If they try to pass you by for someone else, you will certainly find out about it. One of the positives of civil service.

PAT courses are not available to the public. It is a piece of cake, not to worry. Unless things have changed, you will have a practice opportunity and then a week later you will take the actual test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. bok

bok MassCops Member

Mass. has CITIES & TOWNS...FYI.

24. suffolk85

suffolk85 New Member

roadhouse69 where can I get this info on the mmpi and good cop profile, I majored in government.

25. dewey9

dewey9 New Member

any idea of how many they are going to put on off this list?