2015 civil service test ALL POSTS

Discussion in 'Civil Service' started by Rob720, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Enforcer508

Enforcer508 New Member

I got a 95 on the cs exam but I am not a resident. I talked to HR and she said the only way I will get looked at is if a city goes through their whole list and decide to go into the "all" list. Does anyone know what the odds are the I even get looked at? Seems like I just wasted money and time.

2. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Depends on how many the agency is looking to hire and how many people are above you. Are you a vet or a disabled vet? If not, you probably don't have much of a chance because you aren't a resident.

3. dol75

dol75 New Member

Not necessarily. Boston went through over 500 people to fill the two academies on the last list. With the new scoring the only way to really compare to the old list is by looking at the number of people ahead of you rather than what score grade you are actually in.

Hush likes this.
  4. Jamescosta

Jamescosta MassCops Member

I was a government major as well, since our degrees aren't closely related to psychology or criminal justice, I had the same question you did. It took a lot of reading but there is plenty of research papers on the different characteristics that the mmpi is looking for. For example:
    http://www.theiacp.org/Portals/0/documents/pdfs/PSYCH2014_MMPI-2-RF.pdf
    Understanding the psychological profile that is scored higher is important because the personality section of the cs test is derived from the mmpi. When I was going through the process, I didn't want to focus on every aspect of improving my odds of getting hired, and then neglect a significant portion of the cs test (especially considering the recent changes to the scoring).
    For example, questions like "do you have a healthy appetite?" And "are you easily awoken?" are considered to be related to your anxiety level or ability to deal with stress. The logic being that a more anxious person would have a weaker appetite and not sleep as soundly. If you do enough research, every one of the questions in that section become more clear as to what it is trying to determine.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    Rogergoodwin, Paulyboy978 and Goose like this.
  5. Jamescosta

Jamescosta MassCops Member

Rank is how you compare to everyone in the state.

6. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Let me rephrase that... 2000 or greater. Phrasing on this can sound either way. Like, 2001, 2002 etc. That make more sense now? Those people are in rougher shape.

If you're between 1-1999, your odds are better.

7. goodguy23

goodguy23 MassCops Member

What time do they host most civil service exams? I would the midnight shift and am curious to if I need to find someone to work

8. Pvt. Cowboy

Well the good news is you have 2 years to find someone to swap shifts with...

And it's around 10am IIRC.

militia_man, Goose and JD02124 like this.
  9. goodguy23

goodguy23 MassCops Member

10. WirePro_Joe

WirePro_Joe MassCops Member

I'm currently ranked #20 tied with 5 other people in my city. All of us are non vets and no emt status. What are my chances and how would this work? Would all six of us be called in at the same time, evaluated and then selected based on their impression? Should I get an emt cert in order to stand out?

11. baconator

baconator MassCops Member

Just join the national guard or reserves.

12. Rogergoodwin

Rogergoodwin MassCops Member

Depends on how many recruits they need, so not great if your in a small city. If anyone that's tied with you gets a card, you'll get one too.
    As far as the EMT cert goes, it will be one more thing to add to your resume, but won't make a difference as far as your position on the certification. Anything you can do to improve/separate yourself from the pack is good, so getting an emt cert would be one more thing you could mention in an interview, but it won't make a huge difference. Now if you were to become an emt, that would go much further. Experience from a job looks much better to hiring panels than academic achievements.

13. WirePro_Joe

WirePro_Joe MassCops Member

Thanks that's helpful.

14. blueline22

blueline22 MassCops Member

Are the state police going off the All List?

15. JD02124

JD02124 Supporting Member

Nope just city/town and transit I believe.

16. jrkeenan36

jrkeenan36 MassCops Member

Whats the first step in the process? I took the Boston exam, and haven't heard anything. Do I just wait for something in the mail, or do I get a call, etc?

17. Kenny

Kenny MassCops Member

The State Police have their own list that was established in 2013. They didn't participate in the 2015 civil service exam, so if you didn't take the exam in 2013 you wont be eligible for hire with them.

Goose and blueline22 like this.
  18. jrkeenan36

Kenny, are you familiar with the civil service process? How are people generally notified if they have been selected? For example, I took Boston and got a 97%- I haven't heard anything but I am not sure what to expect going forward.

19. Pvt. Cowboy

Hurry up and wait.

If they get to your number, they'll get ahold of you.

Goose and Kenny like this.
  20. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Working for the clampdown

Don't call us, we'll call you. Or something like that.

Goose likes this.
  21. fedtostate

fedtostate New Member

Anyone hear anything? I'm not really expecting a call but I wanted to see if anyone received any good news.

22. jrkeenan36

Nothing yet. I think the current academy is over in June, and I spoke with someone on the force and said likely fall/early winter for the next academy. I'm not sure how far down the list they make it per academy though.

23. wrangler

wrangler MassCops Member

Waiting for calls that you hope and pray for just sucks.

24. fedtostate

fedtostate New Member

Thanks man. I scored in the low 90's plus i'm not a veteran so I don't think i'm getting a call this year no matter how many they're hiring. Any idea for what range the next set of letter/calls would be if the next academy would be in the fall?

25. Kenny

Kenny MassCops Member

Not to burst you bubble but they probably wont get passed the 97s for this next class, maybe to the 96s if the candidates are that bad.

In regards to waiting for a call you might never get trust me I've been there when it comes to civil service. I'm sure many of the people on the forum will be able to attest to that. I played the civil service game for just 3 years before I realized that it's a game you might never win. If you're really that ambitious about becoming an officer in MA do some networking and meet with some chiefs who might be willing to sponsor you. It took me a few months but after talking with as many people as I could I ended up finding a chief who was willing to sponsor me. At the very least try for the Reserve academy but if you have the assets go for the full time academy. I kid you not that I had multiple chiefs tell me that the full time academy is basically your "Golden Ticket" to getting on a non civil service department. As long as your background is squared away of course. Good luck.

Joel98 likes this.