2015 civil service test ALL POSTS

Discussion in 'Civil Service' started by Rob720, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Rufus Teague

Rufus Teague MassCops Member

There's about a dozen names that happen to be on every towns list and top 5 in their own community. Could easily happen to a few of those people

2. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

I don't doubt it. If you're a Veteran with a good score, the hiring picture looks pretty good right now.
    Non-Vet, less than great score and no residency preference? Like me... I'd move to West Bumfuck if it meant a shot at a full time municipal PO position

Goose and pahapoika like this.
  3. Rufus Teague

It's def a better temporary solution then working in a southern shithole making 30 grand a year and realistically being poorer than your daily clientele.

4. Rufus Teague

It could become a permanent solution just like a lot of other jobs you can fall into

5. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

If you're in the CS system you can try and lateral to something closer to Boston, or you can go for MSP. But I don't doubt that some ppl are in the 413 and having difficulty coming back east.

6. Rufus Teague

What's really not helping things is that the federal government really hasn't hired any new people for 8 years across the board and if you've ever gone through their hiring process you can get dicked around and jump thru hoops for consideration to be like a border agent in ND to have them turn around and DQ you for no reason and then put the job back online and bitch about lack of candidates. Then you can reapply again and make it farther along to have a different dumb reason to fail you out of process and then say 90% of candidates aren't qualified

Goose likes this.
  7. Clydon94

Clydon94 MassCops Member

this will be my second time taking the CS, any tips? Rumor has it this past test was strictly corrected. Mostly, everyone I talked to scored lower than last time they tested.

8. Rufus Teague

I only dropped a few points on the last one but some people did drop like 15 points. UMass Amherst test was definitely ten times harder somehow.

If you take them enough times you should get mid 90s to High 90s but it really depends on the community you live in as in how many vets and how many people want that type of job. Such as Lexington and Brookline having small lists

pahapoika and Clydon94 like this.
  9. Patr8726

Patr8726 MassCops Member

Huh? I've been through several fed processes and am in more now. FLETC has been at record capacity for quite some time now, they've been doing extensive hiring for many different agencies. Even the ones that hadn't hired in sometime have opened up some major announcements. FLETC has agencies fighting over class space as we speak for both basic and advanced programs, with something like 3,000 students at Glynco alone at any given time. USSS recently paid massive amounts of $ to rush through 6 classes of their own at a FLETC campus they don't normally use.

10. jlang209309

jlang209309 New Member

Any idea if Transit will be putting on another academy from the 2015 test? I heard that they just put an academy on so I was assuming that may be the last one. I'm #24 out of the non-vets on the list (scored a 98, no res preference) so I'm guessing I wouldn't even get a card but just curious.

Thanks

11. Mgc001

Mgc001 New Member

Hi, I'm looking for some advice. I am a non-veteran with high hopes of becoming a Mass PO. I'm looking at the 2015 ranking lists, and most towns have anywhere from 5-50 veterans at the top of the list. I'm going to take the exam regardless, but I was wondering if it was reasonable to hope that with a good score I could get an opportunity? Thanks for the help!

12. Rufus Teague

Secret service hired 300 out of 22,000 people when they needed about 1,500 to 2,000

CBP is hiring 1 out of 146 and hasn't been able to fill the 2000 jobs they were given to fill as of 2014 or 2015 and have been subject to congressional inquiries on how 90 percent of their applicants can't pass their background check

If you want to be a BOP guard making 35 grand living in CT then ya you might be able to get hired

13. Rufus Teague

pahapoika likes this.
  14. Rufus Teague

A mailman pays better than BOP

15. Rufus Teague

Did you get hired by any of them? Congrats if you did but FLETC does in service training and even trains building maintenance safety inspectors.

Some of the agencies that have been hiring have money to hire and literally will have the same undesirable locations listed.

USCP had a job fair in 2015 where they invited everyone down to attend then cancelled it and then two months later reinforced everyone to attend and redo it even if they passed the initial screening.

16. Rufus Teague

Money to interview'*. Not hire

17. Geronimo425

Geronimo425 New Member

The 39th MPOC is starting at the end of this month. Each academy lasts for just over 6 months. So if you're looking at being picked up by Transit then you'll be waiting another 4 months or so.

18. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 Supporting Member

I shouldn't comment but I will. I played the game in the late 80s and 90s when it was significantly harder than it is now. I ended up getting hired when I was 33. It took me until I was about 30 before I began to figure it out. I somehow believed that as a white, non-vet, no preference male I was going to get hired on Boston PD. I did not want federal because I did not want to move (big mistake). I won't go into all of the reasons why no matter how good I did on CS exams I never got close. I eventually realized that I needed to expand my search or change career paths.

Don't be afraid of the large numbers of people the feds weed out. A large portion of those people have deal-breaking baggage. If you don't get a certain Fed job, immediately try for another. The Fed prison system and Border Patrol are the exception. If you don't want those jobs, don't apply. You very well might find that getting another fed job from these agencies isn't easy because the other agencies don't want to steal from them. I hear you have a better chance coming from the outside than transferring from these couple of agencies.

As far as Mass policing goes, if you don't have a preference in CS, expand your search. You may find yourself in your early 30s changing careers or realizing you have to expand your search and getting on a PD you never thought of and wondering why you didn't do it 10 years earlier. For example, Western Mass has a few non-cs towns that are always hiring. Northampton, Amherst, and UMASS are a few. They are all very busy. There are several good PDs around them that will take you after you get an academy. The cost of living is much cheaper and the pay gets you more than the Boston area. CT is also always hiring and generally pays very well. The PDs in CT are squared away and professional. You would probably be working less than 2 hours from the Boston area.

Goose and pahapoika like this.
  19. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Not to sound like a broken record kids, but like Edmizer I too tried getting on back in the late 80's / early 90's.

Despite lifelong residency in Boston, perfect or near-perfect marks never made it.
    If you're a white male, non-vet with little or no political juice your prospects are slim.

Cast a wider net and look at some of the other New England states. These are your prime earning years, saving and building credit for a home, , working on promotions and starting that pension.

The years go quickly . Don't let Civil Service rob you of your time.

20. Edmizer1

Once I realized that it was futile and expanded the search, everything was fine. Missing the prime earning years and the promotion clock really hurts like Pahapoika said. Not only do you miss the early earning years, you miss out on the pension years later while you could also be working a second career after police retirement. If you start too late, it is much harder to promote. No matter what anyone or the law says, agencies just don't want to promote older officers. If you have 12 years on and you are 45 years old competing for a promotion with a similar candidate who has 12 years on and is 33, there is a huge tendency to go with the younger person. Most of the guys I work with started their municipal careers about 10 years earlier than me. Their opportunity clock is so much different than mine.

visible25, Goose and pahapoika like this.
  21. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

I know it seems like the odds are stacked but just remember when taking these tests there is hope you will get a job!

I took 2 CS tests and one out of state test and got the job and/or offers for all three. I got lucky with the the timing but if you do well on the tests you never know what might come of it.

White male, Vet, no language or EMT pref. FYI, 98s on both CS tests

Edmizer1 and HuskyH-2 like this.
  22. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

I lucked out big time and got hired off my first CS exam. W/M, didn't have vet status at the time, 100. It definitely can be done. Word is Boston is in to the low 90's for the next academy. Also heard the number of Boston residents signed up for the 2017 exam is extremely low.

23. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

Listen, I know a shitload of W/M/NV getting on the job. They all scored high and had clean backgrounds

24. Edmizer1

I have been out of the game for 20 years and it looks like things have loosened up. When I was trying to break in, The were CS tests where Boston would not get close to hiring a non-preference candidate.

pahapoika likes this.
  25. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Body cameras, gps in cruisers, lack of support from public/department, no rifles, no training, getting ordered all the time, 10 year residency requirement, the list goes on lol.

DeltaTango27 and Goose like this.