2017 Civil Service ALL POSTS !!!!!

Discussion in 'Civil Service' started by 43225, Feb 15, 2017.

1. 43225

43225 New Member

New to Masscops just have a couple questions regarding this upcoming Civil Service exam.

I interned with Mass State Police VFAS in college in 2015 and they basically told me although I had NH residency to just take the 2015 test to see what its like. I ended up scoring a 98 but obviously that doesn't much matter knowing that I had no residency preference.

Long story short I ended up moving to Boston (because I like it out here, not strictly for police work) and working over at Mass General. A lot of the veteran BPD officers coming into MGH are telling me that this is the year to have Boston residency, claiming a bunch of them are retiring before they "hook me up with those stupid body cameras". Any word on if there is any truth to Boston supposedly hiring a lot of new officers this year?

Also, does having EMT Basic actually add points to your score or just give you "preference" compared to somebody without it?

Any info on really anything in regards to Boston hiring is appreciated, thanks.

2. Todd

Todd MassCops Member

I can't say for sure, last time I took the test was a while ago but I remember it said you can get some points for your years of part time sworn officer service and EMT. I don't think this has changed but I believe residential preference is only good if you've lived in the city or town at least a year before taking the test.

3. Rogergoodwin

Rogergoodwin MassCops Member

No points, no preference, just a leg up on your application.

4. felony

felony MassCops Member

You do get points for full time sworn experience. Your Chief must write a letter to HRD. They give you 100th of a point per year or something like that. I never bothered my Chief when I was taking CS to have him write the letter.

Joel98 likes this.
  5. the jeff

the jeff MassCops Member

Is there a dress requirement for the exam? I've only taken RI tests where suits are required.

6. Sgt Jack

Sgt Jack Subscribing Member

Although its been many years since I've taken a Civil Service Exam I'm pretty sure the short answer is still no. Now I would't suggest rolling in looking like a ragamuffin but a clean pair of jeans/pants and polo shirt and you should be fine. Now if your eventually lucky enough down the road to get a card for a department or you look out of state then I would certainly dress to impress.

Joel98 and Kenny like this.
  7. CapeSpecial

CapeSpecial MassCops Member

Nope. You can show up in sweatpants and a dirty t shirt and it won't make any difference. Now, a department giving their own exam is another story.

Joel98 likes this.
  8. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Dress comfortably especially in the warmer weather.

Not sure what they do now , but in the past the test sites have been held in the older public schools, read No A/C

Joel98 likes this.
  9. sf1530

sf1530 MassCops Member

I had a couple questions about the upcoming exam I can't seem to find the answers to. How is the exam scored? Are all three parts weighed the same? It seems that the work styles questionnaire might be messing people up.

10. Fuzzywuzzy

Fuzzywuzzy MassCops Member

You guys know that plumbers and mechanics get paid alot more and rarely get shot at right?
    Just sayin'.

Joel98, Johnny Law, pahapoika and 2 others like this.
  11. MassM123

MassM123 New Member

The way I read it on the Civil Service website was, your prior municipal time only counts toward the municipal list, and doesn't count towards the MSP list, which is kind of BS.

12. Jrod6

Jrod6 MassCops Member

Good luck to everyone taking the exam tomorrow. I've been reading the study guide for the past month front to back, back to front. Hopefully this was enough. I will be at the Lynn location good luck to anyone who's there as welll

pahapoika likes this.
  13. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

Best of luck!!

14. unexpo

unexpo MassCops Member

Good luck! I'll be taking it in Worcester

15. sf1530

sf1530 MassCops Member

Good luck everyone! See ya in Quincy lol.

16. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

I'm pretty sure they don't recommend working OT till 0400 the morning of the test lol. But the OT will help to pay the mortgage in Boston so I can have residency for the 2019 testo_O

Joel98 and pahapoika like this.
  17. Jrod6

Jrod6 MassCops Member

Yo
    Youre working until 4am and taking the test at 9am?

18. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

Yessir. Special assignment OT- basically we hire 1-2 extra bodies on weekend nights from 11-4 to cover the increased call volume and nightclub let out. Normally it's easy $ and I take it whenever I can, last night I obviously shouldn't have.
    But we had a lot of holes due to the CS test today, the Chief is really good about making sure that anyone taking the test gets the shift off, and one of the first half bosses took one for the team and stayed till 0700, so I figured I'd at least help out until 4.

Joel98 and visible25 like this.
  19. visible25

visible25 MassCops Member

Peers Described as "moody" :cool::rolleyes:

woodyd and unexpo like this.
  20. Jrod6

Jrod6 MassCops Member

Think it went well, I don't want to get too deep into the questions since you agree not to discuss what questions were on the test by signature. Anyone know when the scores are released? Also with a passing grade does veterans preference add 2 points to your final score?

Lastly, can someone please tell me what constitutes as "disabled veterans preference"? I know I don't qualify because I sustained no injury while serving but someone whos "disabled" how would they preform on the job as a police officer or MSP? It just sounds odd to me.

thanks for any answers,

21. jgraham11

jgraham11 New Member

Hi, I'm a new poster here but I recently took the civil service exam today. I felt pretty good overall about how I did, but my question was more of a what if?
    I'd be surprised if I got 3 wrong on the exam, but for the sake of argument let's say I did. I'm just curious what that would leave my score at exactly? I know it's a 100 point scale with the 2 bonus points for vets (which I am not). And I'm only talking about the written/scenario question aspect of the LEAB test. So ultimately I'm just asking if I got 3 questions wrong am I screwed? Basically just asking how many wrong answers is too many? I have a family member in the Staties who said he got a 97 back in like 02 maybe. This guy is thick as shit too so I'm having a hard time figuring how the scoring system works. I mean 48 questions you'd think each would be worth 2 points roughly, meaning 2 wrong puts you at 96?

I've heard guys saying before anything below a 96 and you should just forget about it so..

Thanks in advance for the responses

22. HighwayJanitor

HighwayJanitor New Member

Naturally the night before the exam I have the overnight (tow truck) and wouldn't you believe it was busy? Three crashes two OUI and two revoked registrations. That's alright though. I NAILED IT on the test

23. visible25

visible25 MassCops Member

Yeah, definitely don't go into detail about the questions- civil service have hired agents to track down people who talk/post about it. That's why they made a big deal out of it this year.

As for the scores, I got mine emailed around 8pm so check your inbox.

'Disabled' vets is a thing the state introduced as a feel good for people, rest assured they all get bounced at the medical.

ShmitDiesel, pahapoika, kenzo and 2 others like this.
  24. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

Veterans preference is 2 points for MSP, absolute preference for municipal and Transit.
    Disabled Veteran is a different preference, ranked higher than Veteran. You qualify if you have a percentage disability rating from the VA. The VA and HRD apparently have different standards, thus it is possible for the VA to consider you disabled and HRD to consider you medically qualified.

25. kenzo

kenzo MassCops Member

I believe the other 2 sections of the exam gets weighted out to your overall score as well but now sure how they place a numerical value to opinionated questions. It says if you score lower than 70% on the Ability test, you fail the exam.

as for the 96, it all depends on your residency and the municipality. I know a few people who got hired who were in the upper 80's because there weren't a lot of candidates to being with.