83rd RTT Thread

Discussion in 'State Police' started by Goose, Oct 12, 2015.

1. MSPField

MSPField MassCops Member

The current environment is definitely impacting the response ...
    ADDITIONAL CANDIDATES BEING INVITED TO COMPETE FOR AN APPOINTMENT TO THE 83RD RTT

The Massachusetts State Police has begun processing candidates for appointment to the 83rd Recruit Training Troop (RTT) Academy Class. On October 7, 2016, candidates with written examination scores of 97.90 or greater were invited to compete for an appointment to the 83rd RTT and the assessment of this group of candidates is presently underway. The Department of State Police has decided to supplement the current pool of candidates with additional candidates. Accordingly, all candidates with a written examination score between 97.40 and 97.89 will soon be mailed a letter inviting them to participate in the selection process.

Click on the link below for more information about the 83rd RTT-

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/msp/83rd-rtt.html

mtc and HuskyH-2 like this.
  2. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

Pretty crazy

3. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Well well well... our friendly local janitor has come to visit!

What Intel can you bequeath upon us?

And for the record, MSPField did say at one point that my math was pretty damn close.

mtc likes this.
  4. Mr Scribbles

Mr Scribbles Mr Scribbles44.blogspot.com

Scribbles' Pencil #3 currently serving here, got a letter for 83RTT. His probation will be over by the time it starts...

5. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

If you have a leave of absence it shows that you're not fully committed and might have some difficulty at the SPA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

Best of luck to everyone who receives an opportunity for the MSP...

pahapoika likes this.
  7. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

I wonder if our friend James Costa got a card for MSP. Because, you know, he only went through the BPD process for "practice" and really wanted to be a Trooper. Or if he ever graduated from the Hyde Park Hilton. That kid was such an arrogant windbag, he'll probably have Yankee in his callsign by the time he's off probation.

Should I take it?

8. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

I agree and disagree. The paradox in that^ is this: I did not ask for a leave of absence from my previous employer out of any uncertainty of commitment, I asked for that leave to protect my family should I suffer a disqualifying injury during training (not from lack of preparation either, but the shit bad luck kind that we all hope doesn't happen, but know can).

So when I requested my leave my boss said; "I would gladly take you back in a heartbeat, but I cannot grant you the leave of absence you are looking for, because that would be the equivalent of me basically giving you and everyone else who works here a security blanket while trying for other jobs ". Hence, no leave of absence for me.

Now, I knew previous administrations had granted LOA's in the past, but I chose not to push the legal issue. However, his
    "No Leave Policy" only guaranteed my "No Chance Policy" that I was ever going to quit the academy or crawl back to him and beg for my old job back. I decided someone was going to have to bag me and tag me for me NOT to graduate.

Bottom line... Departments understandably don't like it when their people (who they hired and trained) decide to move on to greener pastures, but what they always seem to forget is that the grass is always greener where you water it.

Ask for the leave of absence and make them say no to your face, and when they do, SMILE...
    Then leave the wading pool they tried to keep you in and set sail out to the open ocean anyway.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    Mr Scribbles, j809, patrol22 and 5 others like this.
  9. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

It really is amazing what one little word can bring about. If the word "no" is the final answer and it's enough to make someone roll over and accept their fate; then, maybe they're not cut out for whatever it was they were trying to achieve. If the word "no" is just the beginning and it motivates someone; there, is little doubt they will succeed. A friend of ours once told us, "there is no other word, so small, that can bring on such great change."

Before anyone takes it the wrong way. I would argue that you folks that heard the word "no" so many times that you changed course and embarked on a new adventure fall into the second category of people. You may have heard no, but rather than sit around in misery playing the "if only" game you took control of your futures and found a better path.

Mr Scribbles and GARDA like this.
  10. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

BULLSEYE HH. That little word has defined personal and professional pathways for me and I'm sure many others.
    And just because I'm a fair guy, whenever I've been told 'no' I counterattack with equally small, yet powerful words:
    "Uh ok... so if it is to be, it is up to me!" :D

Mr Scribbles and HistoryHound like this.
  11. Treehouse413

Treehouse413 MassCops Member

Oh I wanna see this on Monday

pahapoika likes this.
  12. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

If your in the process and reading this, basketball isn't the prep PT you need to be doing. The guys who barely made the run, usually dropped from being physically unprepared. That time isn't that fast and running is the easiest thing you do for PT.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  13. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Good Grief !
    Sorry, couldn't watch that whole thing , but this kid wants advice ?
    Start running !
    More running, less whiny YouTube videos. :rolleyes:

14. TRN

TRN MassCops Member

Guy will get slayed by day 2 if he gets a letter.

15. Kenny

Kenny MassCops Member

Any chance I can PM someone who would have some insight into specific types of PT prep one should be doing to prepare for an RTT? Thanks!

16. Pvt. Cowboy

Well, I see that fat body's video is making the rounds. Had that one sent to me the other day...

Love how he complains about the allotted times for the run.

LGriffin and pahapoika like this.
  17. TRN

TRN MassCops Member

Attached Files:

mtc, pahapoika and Kenny like this.
  18. WaterPistola

WaterPistola Subscribing Member

How were the numbers on Friday?

19. Treehouse413

Treehouse413 MassCops Member

Don't worry the academy staff is aware of it and will be waiting for him. Maybe instead of the run he could do a pick up game of B-ball.

Goose, pahapoika and Pvt. Cowboy like this.
  20. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Working for the clampdown

RUN

Mr Scribbles and pahapoika like this.
  21. Pvt. Cowboy

Similar to the ones all week. 25-30 shows per group. Each group had 125 called, 2 groups per day.

WaterPistola and Mr Scribbles like this.
  22. MA12Local

MA12Local MassCops Member

Make sure you are in the best shape of your life. It's pretty simple. They run a lot at the beginning, so make sure your shins and ankles can stand the pounding. They transition to Crossfit (like it or not) very quickly, so be prepared for that. You don't have to do Crossfit before the academy to be able to handle Crossfit, but make sure you're in GREAT shape because the workouts are demanding. My suggestion would be to be able to run 3-4 miles, 4 days a week BEFORE you start the academy. Make sure you can do A LOT of body weight exercises, like push-ups and a lot of air aquats (hint, make sure your weight is down) as well. At a minimum, this class has 9 more months to get in shape (probably longer) before day 1, which is plenty of time even if you're currently out of shape, but don't wait until next year to start.

There is no secret method of graduating the SPA. Be in fantastic shape, make sure you are mentally ready to be uncomfortable at ALL TIMES, and never give up, no matter how bad it gets.

pahapoika, Kenny and Danusmc0321 like this.
  23. Pvt. Cowboy

If people, at this point, don't know what they need to do to be able to survive an RTT, with the PAGES of RTT info that's available here...

pahapoika and Danusmc0321 like this.
  24. BIG IRISH

BIG IRISH MassCops Member

You forgot to say remain anonymous while here or at the SPA just like the kid that showed up last week in an UBER for the PT test!! You just can't make this shit up!! Stay safe

40thMPOC#309, mtc, Herrdoktor and 2 others like this.
  25. visible25

visible25 MassCops Member

If they really need applicants, I'm more than willing to take a quick test... if they catch my drift... *cough* I'm ready to go *cough* someone from MSP HR see this post *cough*

pahapoika likes this.