Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
41 - 60 of 252 Posts
If anyone is on the fence about it.... it's still the best gig goin. I convinced a buddy to jump ship at a good job, and go through the process to be hired with the last class. He calls me once a week to tell me how much he likes it, and how he's glad he listened to me.

I agree great gig especially if your young or single meaning no wife and kid. If you have those two and jump ship the possibility of injury is always there and if you can't get the old job back it's a difficult decision .
Very true. For anyone who is planning on making the jump and has a supportive department try asking for a leave of absence. That way you have a good shot of getting your old position back if an injury washes you out.

If anyone is on the fence about it.... it's still the best gig goin. I convinced a buddy to jump ship at a good job, and go through the process to be hired with the last class. He calls me once a week to tell me how much he likes it, and how he's glad he listened to me.
Yep. He's living the life now. Got days at his home barracks.

The current environment is definitely impacting the response ...
ADDITIONAL CANDIDATES BEING INVITED TO COMPETE FOR AN APPOINTMENT TO THE 83RD RTT

The Massachusetts State Police has begun processing candidates for appointment to the 83rd Recruit Training Troop (RTT) Academy Class. On October 7, 2016, candidates with written examination scores of 97.90 or greater were invited to compete for an appointment to the 83rd RTT and the assessment of this group of candidates is presently underway. The Department of State Police has decided to supplement the current pool of candidates with additional candidates. Accordingly, all candidates with a written examination score between 97.40 and 97.89 will soon be mailed a letter inviting them to participate in the selection process.

Click on the link below for more information about the 83rd RTT-

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/msp/83rd-rtt.html

The current environment is definitely impacting the response ...
ADDITIONAL CANDIDATES BEING INVITED TO COMPETE FOR AN APPOINTMENT TO THE 83RD RTT

The Massachusetts State Police has begun processing candidates for appointment to the 83rd Recruit Training Troop (RTT) Academy Class. On October 7, 2016, candidates with written examination scores of 97.90 or greater were invited to compete for an appointment to the 83rd RTT and the assessment of this group of candidates is presently underway. The Department of State Police has decided to supplement the current pool of candidates with additional candidates. Accordingly, all candidates with a written examination score between 97.40 and 97.89 will soon be mailed a letter inviting them to participate in the selection process.

Click on the link below for more information about the 83rd RTT-

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/msp/83rd-rtt.html
Well well well... our friendly local janitor has come to visit!

What Intel can you bequeath upon us?

And for the record, MSPField did say at one point that my math was pretty damn close. [emoji6]

Scribbles' Pencil #3 currently serving here, got a letter for 83RTT. His probation will be over by the time it starts...

If you have a leave of absence it shows that you're not fully committed and might have some difficulty at the SPA.
I agree and disagree. The paradox in that^ is this: I did not ask for a leave of absence from my previous employer out of any uncertainty of commitment, I asked for that leave to protect my family should I suffer a disqualifying injury during training (not from lack of preparation either, but the shit bad luck kind that we all hope doesn't happen, but know can).

So when I requested my leave my boss said; "I would gladly take you back in a heartbeat, but I cannot grant you the leave of absence you are looking for, because that would be the equivalent of me basically giving you and everyone else who works here a security blanket while trying for other jobs ". Hence, no leave of absence for me.

Now, I knew previous administrations had granted LOA's in the past, but I chose not to push the legal issue. However, his
"No Leave Policy" only guaranteed my "No Chance Policy" that I was ever going to quit the academy or crawl back to him and beg for my old job back. I decided someone was going to have to bag me and tag me for me NOT to graduate.

Bottom line... Departments understandably don't like it when their people (who they hired and trained) decide to move on to greener pastures, but what they always seem to forget is that the grass is always greener where you water it.

Ask for the leave of absence and make them say no to your face, and when they do, SMILE...
Then leave the wading pool they tried to keep you in and set sail out to the open ocean anyway.

Now, I knew previous administrations had granted LOA's in the past, but I chose not to push the legal issue. However, his
"No Leave Policy" only guaranteed my "No Chance Policy" that I was ever going to quit the academy or crawl back to him and beg for my old job back. I decided someone was going to have to bag me and tag me for me NOT to graduate.
It really is amazing what one little word can bring about. If the word "no" is the final answer and it's enough to make someone roll over and accept their fate; then, maybe they're not cut out for whatever it was they were trying to achieve. If the word "no" is just the beginning and it motivates someone; there, is little doubt they will succeed. A friend of ours once told us, "there is no other word, so small, that can bring on such great change."

Before anyone takes it the wrong way. I would argue that you folks that heard the word "no" so many times that you changed course and embarked on a new adventure fall into the second category of people. You may have heard no, but rather than sit around in misery playing the "if only" game you took control of your futures and found a better path.

It really is amazing what one little word can bring about. If the word "no" is the final answer and it's enough to make someone roll over and accept their fate; then, maybe they're not cut out for whatever it was they were trying to achieve. If the word "no" is just the beginning and it motivates someone; there, is little doubt they will succeed. A friend of ours once told us, "there is no other word, so small, that can bring on such great change."

Before anyone takes it the wrong way. I would argue that you folks that heard the word "no" so many times that you changed course and embarked on a new adventure fall into the second category of people. You may have heard no, but rather than sit around in misery playing the "if only" game you took control of your futures and found a better path.
BULLSEYE HH. That little word has defined personal and professional pathways for me and I'm sure many others.
And just because I'm a fair guy, whenever I've been told 'no' I counterattack with equally small, yet powerful words:
"Uh ok... so if it is to be, it is up to me!" :D

41 - 60 of 252 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.