83rd RTT Thread

Discussion in 'State Police' started by Goose, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Rufus Teague

Rufus Teague MassCops Member

It does seem like whenever they have a list that goes on for a while they seem to go way down the list for the final class. A lot of people get really old/out of shape in 3 or 4 years and/or can't afford to leave their job for a possible chance at getting on

2. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Huh?

That list was active for 7 years. There was a total number of 2000 or so who had scored a 95 or better, so they didn't go "really far" down the list. I was 22 when I took it, and 30 when it expired. I don't consider 30 "really old." My track times at my heaviest were still in the 11:30's. I would have taken that pay cut because it didn't matter to me. The juice was absolutely worth the squeeze.

3. Rufus Teague

That's great that "you" were able to keep up with your fitness over all those years however the vast majority of people that take these tests aren't 22 and the older you get your financial situation changes where they can't risk leaving a job making say 75 grand and pay their bills with the academy pay of several hundred a week.

4. Rufus Teague

I'm not saying the list will keep dropping but it has happened in the past where they contact another batch

5. SPA4thPlt

SPA4thPlt MassCops Member

Outstanding, Pvt. Cowboy!!! A lot of people give up and don't land on their feet. Good for you, brother. If you have a chance and gained all the experience, think about making the jump when it presents itself.

6. SPA4thPlt

SPA4thPlt MassCops Member

Hahaha....I hope you get in, so that an "old/out of shape" candidate shows you how it gets done...if you even make it past the first week. Do your homework, hard-charger.

Pvt. Cowboy likes this.
  7. Rogergoodwin

Rogergoodwin MassCops Member

I've got 2 kids and a mortgage, but given the opportunity I'd easily take the pay cut. Take out a loan if you have too. I can't imagine turning down the msp for only 75k. Most people just use the $ issue as an excuse

8. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

Sorry kids.

Backlash as Gov. Baker cuts $98M from state budget

Gov. Charlie Baker today slashed $98 million in spending to help balance the state's porous budget, his office said, slicing from 140 state agencies in a move that is immediately drawing rebukes from legislative leaders.

The cuts, which Baker can do without legislative approval, actually add up to more than $118 million, before revenues offset them, according to the administration, and are intended to fill a $98 million budget shortfall

Backlash as Gov. Baker cuts $98M from state budget

"while State Police had $6.4 million in cuts."

9. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

Does that essentially kill the 83RTT. MSPField?

10. MA12Local

MA12Local MassCops Member

Funding for the 83rd was not in this year's budget. The class was contingent upon funding in next fiscal year's (FY18) budget. The 6.4 million was cut from the MSP operating budget for this current fiscal year. Maybe it takes a bite out of the Standards and Training dollars currently being used to vet candidates, but this doesn't kill the 83rd for FY18 (yet anyway)...

HuskyH-2 likes this.
  11. visible25

visible25 MassCops Member

Based on the upcoming CS test and push from all agencies for that, it seems as though it still might take some time for a class to officially start

12. Rogergoodwin

Rogergoodwin MassCops Member

The test is always held every 2 years.

13. Bloodhound

Not for State Police. They skipped the last one.

mtc, MSPField, felony and 1 other person like this.
  14. MSPField

MSPField MassCops Member

Excuse the slow reply. MA12Local is right, the 83rd isn't in this fiscal year budget so the class is still being eyeballed for summer 17. The vetting is still ongoing. The budget cuts hit us in other areas.

MA12Local and visible25 like this.
  15. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Geez, they keep you janitors really busy up there...

mtc, Goose and MSPField like this.
  16. MSPField

MSPField MassCops Member

The Governor filed House 1. 83rd funded for 130. Of course it still must pass several hurdles, stay tuned.

HuskyH-2, MrCapias, mtc and 1 other person like this.
  17. unexpo

unexpo MassCops Member

What crossfit gym are you going to that costs $200 for 6 classes? Every one I've been to has been $140/month +/- for unlimited class sessions

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  18. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Crossfit is so stupid and a waste of money. Just do push-ups, sit-ups and run like crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

felony, Herrdoktor and pahapoika like this.
  19. MrCapias

MrCapias MassCops Member

At what stage do the actual background investigations begin now that it seems to be a go? I'm pretty high on the list.

Also, I'm told that prior to start of the academy they will give you a list of items/supplies you will need. Very important question here - do they dictate the type of underwear you have to use? I'm a huge fan of my boxer briefs and if I have to get used to running in tighty whities, I want to get a head start on it

20. TRN

TRN MassCops Member

Looks like you just barely missed the cut. Better luck next time.

21. MrCapias

MrCapias MassCops Member

Mind elaborating a bit?

22. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Working for the clampdown

Go commando. Problem solved.

23. MrCapias

MrCapias MassCops Member

Update to my own question: Background investigators are just starting to be assigned to files this week, phone calls for medical appointments/meetings with investigators going out soon. Good luck all.

24. mtc

mtc High Priestess Staff Member

I saw a few of them... freakin' AMAZING that some people think they're qualified !

TRN likes this.
  25. Bloodhound

For some reason I will answer your weird question. Yes you are instructed on what underwear you will wear. However running (at least during PT) you wear compression shorts under your PT gear (shorts or sweatpants).