Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
101 - 120 of 252 Posts
That's great that "you" were able to keep up with your fitness over all those years however the vast majority of people that take these tests aren't 22 and the older you get your financial situation changes where they can't risk leaving a job making say 75 grand and pay their bills with the academy pay of several hundred a week.
I've got 2 kids and a mortgage, but given the opportunity I'd easily take the pay cut. Take out a loan if you have too. I can't imagine turning down the msp for only 75k. Most people just use the $ issue as an excuse

Sorry kids.

Backlash as Gov. Baker cuts $98M from state budget

Gov. Charlie Baker today slashed $98 million in spending to help balance the state's porous budget, his office said, slicing from 140 state agencies in a move that is immediately drawing rebukes from legislative leaders.

The cuts, which Baker can do without legislative approval, actually add up to more than $118 million, before revenues offset them, according to the administration, and are intended to fill a $98 million budget shortfall

"while State Police had $6.4 million in cuts."

Sorry kids.

Gov. Charlie Baker today slashed $98 million in spending to help balance the state's porous budget, his office said, slicing from 140 state agencies in a move that is immediately drawing rebukes from legislative leaders.

The cuts, which Baker can do without legislative approval, actually add up to more than $118 million, before revenues offset them, according to the administration, and are intended to fill a $98 million budget shortfall

Does that essentially kill the 83RTT. MSPField?

Sorry kids.

Funding for the 83rd was not in this year's budget. The class was contingent upon funding in next fiscal year's (FY18) budget. The 6.4 million was cut from the MSP operating budget for this current fiscal year. Maybe it takes a bite out of the Standards and Training dollars currently being used to vet candidates, but this doesn't kill the 83rd for FY18 (yet anyway)...

Based on the upcoming CS test and push from all agencies for that, it seems as though it still might take some time for a class to officially start

Cross fit is nothing more then a fad. I tried it and was not impressed. Its basically military style calisthenics with cleans and seated rows. Not worth the $200 for 6 classes, if your disciplined, buy a military PT guide and follow that.
What crossfit gym are you going to that costs $200 for 6 classes? Every one I've been to has been $140/month +/- for unlimited class sessions

At what stage do the actual background investigations begin now that it seems to be a go? I'm pretty high on the list.

Also, I'm told that prior to start of the academy they will give you a list of items/supplies you will need. Very important question here - do they dictate the type of underwear you have to use? I'm a huge fan of my boxer briefs and if I have to get used to running in tighty whities, I want to get a head start on it

At what stage do the actual background investigations begin now that it seems to be a go? I'm pretty high on the list.

Also, I'm told that prior to start of the academy they will give you a list of items/supplies you will need. Very important question here - do they dictate the type of underwear you have to use? I'm a huge fan of my boxer briefs and if I have to get used to running in tighty whities, I want to get a head start on it
Looks like you just barely missed the cut. Better luck next time.

Go commando. Problem solved.

For some reason I will answer your weird question. Yes you are instructed on what underwear you will wear. However running (at least during PT) you wear compression shorts under your PT gear (shorts or sweatpants).

Few things... Only some people get a packing list, so hopefully you're one of the lucky ones. Second, sometimes, the underwear is worn on your head, so try a few runs out like that to get used to it. Lastly, DEFINITELY post your status updates here to keep us posted. Good luck!

101 - 120 of 252 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.