A Message/Warning to n00bs, Rookies, and Wanna-be's

Discussion in 'Just Shootin' The Breeze' started by Delta784, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Dear n00b/rookie,

I was you once. A long time ago, I once held the foolishly altruistic belief that I could actually help people and make a difference. The sad fact is that in your 32-year career, you're going to be able to count the number of people you actually, really helped on one hand, with fingers to spare.

We (police) are a band-aid for situations that usually requires major surgery. When I first became a cop, I envisioned myself as the guy who captures the criminal in the act, like Adam-12. The reality is that almost never happens.....we're usually expected to just clean-up the aftermath of an armed robbery, and keep the scene secure until the detectives arrive.

The calls we *do* arrive at that are in-progress are usually non-sexy things like bar fights, domestic violence incidents, and drunk bums who we have to PC in order to make sure they don't freeze to death/aren't victimized themselves. No matter how you handle those types of calls, you're always going to be the bad guy. I was placing a drunk bum into protective custody one night when the air temperature was about 5-degrees Fahrenheit, and I still got snide remarks from the public about "picking on the homeless".....never mind that he would have frozen to death if I didn't take him into custody. The police are ALWAYS in the wrong, especially in the media and public perception. Get used to it.

I used to have quite a few friends who were not cops, but they faded away pretty quickly. If they didn't understand my outrage about the rampant abuse of the welfare/nanny-state system, or the mindset it took to look on without emotion while a paramedic pronounced a gang member being dead from a drive-by shooting, then I really didn't want to be friends with them, anyway.

I don't care if you work in the Boston housing projects (as I did for my first 6 years), Podunk, MA, or anything in-between. You're eventually going to get to the hostility stage, which is where I am right now. I'll bet that no one on this board wanted/wants to be a police officer more than me; I realized it on my 5th birthday, and everything else I did in my life was geared towards attaining that goal.

So.....24 years later, I achieved my goal, but now I hate it with every fiber of my being. On the days I have to work, I start checking the clock at 2pm, and shake my head as it gets closer to 3pm, when I have to start getting ready for work. It literally ruins the day for me.

Why?

While this job is necessary, it's also pointless. When you make a great arrest and it's dismissed/CWOF'ed by the DA, it wears you down. When you make a great arrest and it's dismissed/CWOF'ed because the PD doesn't want to pay court overtime, while they would rather award sneaky, non-competitive OT to lieutenants instead of having patrol officers attend court to prosecute criminals, or staff patrol units, it wears you down quite a bit.

So.....what do I do now? I respond to my radio calls, and back-up my fellow officers as fast as I possibly can. What do I do in-between those radio calls and calls for help?

No comment.

N00bs/wanna-bes....this is you in about 15-20 years.

RANT <OFF>

2. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Is there something different you could see yourself doing that would give you some satisfaction like investigations, swat, something pro-active, another agency, etc? (Dept politics aside of course)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

3. Herrdoktor

Herrdoktor MassCops Member

The worst is when your brain and body know you have to work that night so you feel like complete ass all day.

Also don't forget to tell the newbs about how you can feel your body breaking down, especially if you work out a lot during your work week.

Oscar8 likes this.
  4. frapmpd24

frapmpd24 Senior Member

For you N00b's/Rookies who don 't know what that is, I've seen it described as years 5-10, but that must be based on a 20 year retirement. Here in lovely Mass we do get 80% of our best three years for a pension, but that is after a 32 year sentence. Since its much longer than the 20 years elsewhere, you have to adjust the hostility stage, (the point at which you have seen pretty much every type of call and are sick of the BS internal and external). Add in the long winters, liberal lawmakers and judges, and criminal friendly laws, it compounds things, making the hostility stage more like years 5 through 30, with the last two years winding down accrued time with little or no buyback to zilch. Just from my observation.

Yeah, retiring! That countdown clock keeps ticking louder Delta, hang in there. With your education and experience you'll soon qualify to be one of those highly paid expert witnesses. That will make court much easier to take ($$$) while others are flapping their arms for three times less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delta784 and USMCMP5811 like this.
  5. sdb29

sdb29 MassCops Member

Back when I was all new and squeaky clean there was a guy on my platoon who felt this way. I hated him for breathing and taking up a car that I wanted.
    One night he said to me " Kid, I've been where you're going."
    31 1/2 years later, after all the gore, the nightmares,the disappointments, the marriages, the time spent doing nothing altruistic, I see what he meant. You were right Donald, you were right.
    Bruce, hang in there. The Bermuda shorts and socks with sandals will be here soon. When you get below 10 to go it flies, it flies.

BxDetSgt, Usa8235, fra444 and 6 others like this.
  6. topcop14

topcop14 Subscribing Member

Delta hang in there. I too find myself being hostile at times. Funny thing is its mostly the Admin that causes my hostility. I tell people I love my job but hate my employer. Unfortnatly it effects my work too. My father is retired from the job and now that he has been retired a while he has lost all hostility that he had toward the job and only seams to remember the good times he had.

Kilvinsky, Killjoy, Delta784 and 3 others like this.
  7. LGriffin

LGriffin Supporting Member

Delta,

You speak for all of us, buddy, but didn't you know that you can make non-sexy things like bar fights sexy simply by wearing velcro pants? Jeez, throw in a little effort and give the people what they really want;)

The most screwed up thing is that it consumes you and about five years after you're gone, you'll actually miss it. Not so much the dopes, but the brotherhood.

Kilvinsky, Delta784 and USMCMP5811 like this.
  8. USM C-4

USM C-4 MassCops Member

So, I wasn't happy at my job. Got promoted up until all I did was push paper and go to meetings. Didn't enjoy going to work. 32 years and 80% was a LONG way off.

So, fuck it. Life is too short to stay. Quit, retire, transfer, whatever. I was suffering mentally and physically from the stress of not enjoying what I did. Liked the people, not the office work. No matter what your suck is, get it out of your life.

I bought back 5 years of part-time work and pulled the pin on my 45th birthday. Took my 23% pension, moved south and found work. A year later found even better work, and after 4 years got promoted to a job that I love...

If things suck that bad, you *NEED* to make a change.

OfficerObie59, frank and LECSniper like this.
  9. OCKS

OCKS Subscribing Member

Delta you got to bid out of that car and take an "easier" post for a few years. It does seem like we are shoveling shit against the tide, but in baby steps you/we are helping people. Example; you arrest a drunk driver, get him off the road, who's to say that ten minutes later he wouldn't of crashed and killed an innocent family. The court lets the shithead go but if he hurts somebody, you could sleep guilt free because you did your job. Hang in there brother.

10. gargoyle

gargoyle MassCops Member

"Quid tu es, ego fui, quod ego sum, tu eris"

Which loosely translated means:

"That which you are, I once was, that which I am, you will become"

11. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Wooooo sahhhhh....

I remember my old man turning the same way. Started to loathe the job... Seems like a natural progression of things in this state.

Delta784 likes this.
  12. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

I've started my response to this thread several times and erased it because I don't think I have the eloquence to pull off a response that doesn't make me out to be a complete hairball. I've been and continue to be at the hostility stage, and it all starts and seems to end with the administrators (at this point). I continue to march, to do this shitty job the best way I can, to collect evidence and try and put these motherfuckers behind bars. I've gotten a few medals for things I've managed to do right, but I refuse to wear my devices because I just don't give a fuck anymore.

I've got Limp Bizkit's "Break Stuff" on my Ipod, it gives me perfect mood music for being at work and for the stage most of us are at.

"Break Stuff"

Its just one of those days
    When you don't wanna wake up
    Everything is fucked
    Everybody sux
    You don't really know why
    But you want justify
    Rippin' someone's head off
    No human contact
    And if you interact
    Your life is on contract
    Your best bet is to stay away motherfucker
    It's just one of those days!!

[chorus]
    Its all about the he says she says bullshit
    I think you better quit
    Lettin' shit slip
    Or you'll be leavin with a fat lip
    Its all about the he says she says bullshit
    I think you better quit talkin that shit
    (Punk, so come and get it)
    Its just one of those days
    Feelin' like a freight train
    First one to complain
    Leaves with a blood stain
    Damn right I'm a maniac
    You better watch your back
    Cuz I'm fuckin' up your program
    And if your stuck up
    You just lucked up
    Next in line to get fucked up
    Your best bet is to stay away motherfucker
    Its just one of those days!!

[chorus]

I feel like shit
    My suggestion is to keep your distance cuz right now im dangerous
    We've all felt like shit
    And been treated like shit
    All those motherfuckers that want to step up
    I hope you know I pack a chain saw
    I'll skin your ass raw
    And if my day keeps goin' this way I just might break somethin' tonight...
    I'll skin your ass raw
    And if my day keeps goin' this way I just might break somethin' tonight...
    I'll skin your ass raw
    And if my day keeps goin' this way I just might break your fuckin' face tonight!!
    Give me somethin' to break
    Give me somethin' to break
    Just give me somethin' to break
    How bout your fuckin' face
    I hope you know I pack a chain saw, what!!...
    A chain saw, what!!...
    A motherfucking chain saw, what!!...
    So come and get it

GARDA, Delta784 and USMCMP5811 like this.
  13. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Administrator Staff Member

Stickied for prosperity

Delta784 and cc3915 like this.
  14. Marks72

Marks72 Appreciative Member

Hey Delta. Of course I can in no way know what you and everyone else in LE go through not being LE myself, so I won't pretend I can. But I've read a great many of your posts and you come across as both professional and well edjucated, but more importantly... a guy with common sense. Now, that said, I have the answer for ya bud...... Quick, file your paperwork for either the Republican or Independant nomination for President of the United States!!!!!! Got my vote.....

Kilvinsky, cousteau, Delta784 and 2 others like this.
  15. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

9 years, 5 months, and 5 days to go. Not that I'm counting, mind you.

I'd take my 50% and move tomorrow, but my wife has family in MA, so that's not an option right now.

I'm bidding inside in 2013, but I have to stay in A Group to have the holidays off, and I don't have enough seniority to get the A Group inside position.

sdb29 likes this.
  16. cousteau

cousteau MassCops Member

It is discouraging. Some administrators seem to hate the good cops. If it is jealousy, envy, or that the cops do a better job than the brass ever did, I don't know. On my shift, I work for some really good bosses, in my opinion, for the most part. Very different from each other, but good guys that just expect you to do your job, and they treat you like a human. But, there are brass there I wouldn't want to work directly under, and I don't. Have I become cynical? Yes, to an expected level, I think. But not to where I hate the job. At least not yet. In 12+ years I can count on one hand how many "bad" days I have had. But "bad" has different meanings to different people. I really put forth an effort mentally, to find something to, if not like, at least relate about each guy I work for or with. Its a long career. Unfortunately some are just too self-centered if not outright malicious, to connect with at any level. Or, just too plain f'n ignorant. Seeing the amount of ass-kissing and what it gets people drives me nuts. Not that I'm looking for anything there; its the complete lack of self-respect and integrity some of these people have. Personally, I am laughing at some of these people inside. I can look at myself in the mirror, and while I see more wrinkles, I don't see shit on my nose or sack hairs on my chin. I have realized I am not going to make a noticeable difference in the world. You couldn't convince me of that my first 5-6 months though. So, I won't stress myself over it for reasons mentioned by Delta; i.e. CWOFs, dismissals, screwing patrolmen out of court time, etc. I will try to continue on, for as long as I can, to put the effort out there only to make myself think things are good enough to make me think I don't hate the job yet. I'll keep you guys informed along the journey and let you know how my plan is going.

Rock and OCKS like this.
  17. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

Some days you get the job, other days the job "gets you".

I've been on long enough to see people I came on with or shortly after get promoted. It seems as soon as someone gets a promotion, they forget where they come from. I can tell you there are precious few supervisors who still care for "their guys". It used to be if you fucked up, you got an ass reaming and that was the end. No letter in your file, no hard feelings in a few days. Just a man to man and that was it.

Now most supervisors take a petty bullshit complaint and turn it into a major investigation, for some reason either real or perceived, to "get" the subject of the complaint. As my shift's union steward, I've made the comment to the supervisors, which has been unfortunately self-fulfilling, that this insanity takes good cops and flushes them down the toilet.

In the 20 years I've been on, we just now hired over 100 people below me. That's more than a turnover of 5+ officers per year. And these dickheads think it's because of money, or to be closer to family, or something else. They don't realize it's them, even more than the public. I'm a big believer in the Peter Principle, I should be because I see it nearly every day.

18. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

For the most part, my immediate bosses (sergeants, lieutenants, and even the captain) are good.....when I first started at QPD, I did something pretty stupid; the shift commander (lieutenant) called me in his office, pinned my ears back for a few minutes, then said "The chief wanted me to chew your ass, so I chewed your ass". I apologized & thanked him, we shook hands, and it was never mentioned again.

My problem is with the upper management; there is no more middle class on my department anymore. If you're one of the mega-rich Golden Boys, you do whatever you want, get sneaky non-competitive OT, leave an hour or more before the end of shift because you answer to no one (and no one knows what you actually do when you are at "work"), you get "days due" out the ass for performing petty tasks that may take 2 hours (8 hours off for 2 hours "work"....not bad), which means you never have to use your vacation time, which you can then sell back for even more $$$, and God forbid you take a radio call. Of course, if you're actually still around when it happens (rare enough in and of itself), you magically appear whenever the words "gun" or "knife" come over the air, leaving us mega-poor to say to ourselves "Are they working right now?" because it's the first we've seen of them all night. Not to mention, they get every official (Christmas, Thanksgiving) holiday and non-official (Superbowl Sunday, Christmas Eve) holiday off, using their bullshit "days due", no doubt. And whenever there may be something fun/interesting/different to do (assisting another agency with an arrest), they once again magically appear, leaving us mega-poor in patrol to deal with the drunks who shit themselves, or applying for yet another emergency protective order.

In the meantime, the mega-poor in patrol can't get a weekday night off, because the vacation book has been carpet-bombed by "days due" which are such bullshit, the book practically smells like a herd of steer. Forget about getting a Friday or Saturday night off, unless you want to call-in sick, which triggers the chief's office to demand a detailed sick note from your physician, which violates federal law. Never mind the Golden Boys who come to work about half their scheduled time thanks to "days due"...."nothing to see here folks, move along.....now, where is that detailed sick note from Patrolman Snuffy?"

I don't even want to know what my blood pressure is right now.

19. LGriffin

LGriffin Supporting Member

The Teflon fair-haired rats are everywhere. Their mission in life is to blow the Chief and maintain availability for every ass-kissing tournament etc. so they can continue on the easy road. Everyone knows who they are and no one respects them.

Unfortunately, all of the introspection will eat you alive. The guys on my PD that let shit get to them never fared very well. I tried to changed some things when I was steward but no one wanted to rock the boat so I said, "fuck it!" All you can do is your best and when the rest don't want to fall in, fuck it.

Enjoy your days off when you can get them and make the best of them until you retire or die, whichever comes first.

Kilvinsky, 263FPD, Usa8235 and 2 others like this.
  20. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I think one of the reasons it galls me is because they truly believe that no one knows their racket, and that they're fooling everyone.

Kilvinsky and Killjoy like this.
  21. mtc

mtc High Priestess Staff Member

Management doesn't like the workers because they create too much work for management.

See that everywhere.

I still stand on - the media shouldn't get so much as a police log without going to court to get it - till they stop the all out war against police.

Fuck'em and their judges too.

22. Deuce

Deuce screw you...

It is what it is.. It's the worst job you'll never quit...

Fuck the pogues and posers. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, go out there, kick ass and do it in a way so you can keep looking at yourself in the mirror...

I'm more than halfway through my sentence. Here's my insight for the noobs/rooks/boots: Be careful who you trust. The "hood", TBL, whatever, is ethereal. I work in a dept of over 300 of "brothers" and "sisters". I trust 2...

Sentinel, Kilvinsky and topcop14 like this.
  23. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

My only comment is take a vaca Delta, yes the rubbish will still need to be taken out when you get back, the rubbish is always going to be taken out.

24. BIG IRISH

BIG IRISH MassCops Member

Delta, I dealt with all of that teflon bullshit when I was a CO at the DOC. We had golden boys/girls aka "SUCKPUMPS". We never knew what they did but they always seemed to be on secret squirel missions and getting OT for doing it , then they always mysteriously had ALL of the holidays off (even when being Jr in seniority). I also deal with it here at the MSP but what I do when I walk down the hall at AHQ is be very fucking loud, sing foolish songs like John Denver/Glenn Campbell etc when I check the mailboxes (this song is on their mind the whole shift) and kill them with smiles/kindness. It drives them crazy. I "ALWAYS" have some Capt/Lt come out in the hallway to see whats up!!!! Really funny shit in my opinion. Stay safe!!!

Kilvinsky, Delta784 and LGriffin like this.
  25. cc3915

cc3915 Masscops Angel Staff Member

I see you've hit that proverbial "wall". Believe me, a change in assignment will do you good. Hang in there my friend.

Delta784 likes this.