A Message/Warning to n00bs, Rookies, and Wanna-be's

Discussion in 'Just Shootin' The Breeze' started by Delta784, Feb 11, 2012.

1. stm4710

stm4710 Subscribing Member

Great post delta. This should be a waiver on top of the civil service test.

Delta784 likes this.
  2. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

And I'm not even on your department! Thanks!

SinePari's 3 Golden Rules:

1. Show up.
    2. Shut up.
    3. Get paid.

It's not my goat fuck, I'm just here to hold the horns. So somewhere in between I'd like to get about 8 hours of entertainment per day, either from customers or coworkers. An old Army buddy who had a similar upbringing as I did and retired from New Bedford PD a few years back told me, "You and me are the same. We have more in common with the people in the back seat than those riding in the front seat."

3. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

So many aspects of this job will grind ya into jelly. Let's not forget how much $$$ and glory one recieves for being the union warrior. Target on your back and still a few morons you're fighting for asking "why are you stirring up crap?" In the end it's 90% administration. I was fortunate enough to "move on" when the last job blew up, lost details and ruined a couple guys lives. New job was great, the LT's ran their shifts and so the Adminstrators had time to deal with the "city hall" types and fight the good fight. Then you guessed it...new bosses in and out the door, and suddenly we had all done it wrong, Stop doing this, you shouldn't do that, that's a liability. Hey that schedule that works for the last dozen years, it's gotta change! Poor fools can't figure out why the folk's are giving up being cops for DOC, Bureau of Prisons, private security and even volunteering to deploy again...Seven years and counting WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! pigwee.jpg

4. Usa8235

Usa8235 MassCops Member

Hang in there Delta...you rant is so familiar, on so many levels. Things so change when you retire, so keep your integrity, your honor and know that doing what you do does make a difference. Keep counting those days to retirement

Delta784 likes this.
  5. 263FPD

263FPD Administrator Staff Member

Delta, nothing that you do, is pointless. Frustrating? Perhaps... Pointle? No!!!

I have half your time on the job, though we are pretty close in age. You are a bit older;)
    I have had a very shitty year, on the job and off. I am frustrated with my administration, but not my job at least not the job in it's entirety. I am blessed with working among a great bunch of people, some of whom are rank, but most of who are grunts just like me. Many years ago, a female cop told me "This Job sucks at best..." I dont agree with her to this day. I agree with you that after my 15 years, I can only think of a small handful of people that I have raeally helped. Those that I am speaking of, still keep in touch.

All I am saying here, I would still rather do nothing else but this. I may have made some other choices as to where or on what level I'd be doing this, but for must part I am pretty content. Where ever you go, there you are.

Delta784 likes this.
  6. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Who's feeling sorry for themself? I couldn't make the last union meeting, and had to blow off some steam.

As for looking in the mirror, I don't have any problem with what I see, and never have. Additionally, if my son ever follows in my footsteps, he won't have to worry about what his older co-workers say about me as a cop. Maybe they didn't like me personally or the way I ran the union, but I couldn't care less about that, and neither will he.

As you noted V, I have almost twice the amount of time on the job as you do.

I'm ready for something else.

263FPD likes this.
  7. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

Bruce, you once made this post:
    Agreed. Generally, it's hard to have empathy for people who create their own issues.

By and large however, none of what happens on the street causes nearly as much stress than what comes from the second floor of a police department. The street stuff is easy. It's dealing with the admin that's hard.

8. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

In 24 years, I've attended almost every union meeting, at least for some of the time (if I was working I had to leave in the middle sometimes), but of all the hours I've spent in police patrolmen union meetings, many of which devolved into "Eff you!", "No, Eff YOU!!" matches, I have yet to hear something.....not even once;

Anyone ever complain about having to deal with crime and violence.

What they (and I) complain about is the department command staff's reaction to that crime and violence; things like inadequate staffing in patrol due to packing the specialty positions with politically connected people and suckasses, inadequate equipment (toilet cruisers, bad radios), inadequate/non-existent training, overly aggressive/biased internal affairs investigations (where the complainant, even if he/she is the biggest scumbag ever, is given instant credibility) when cops do their jobs, personal vendettas against aggressive cops when the biased internal affairs complaint falls short, and a myriad of other things that have absolutely nothing to do with going out there and actually confronting/catching criminals.

9. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

It's like I wrote this post!

I freely admit that where I work we don't deal with the volume that Delta deals with, or about 60% of the members currently working, but we deal with the same BS. Where I work the University spends money like a drunken sailor on the most ABSURD bullshit, but when it comes to the employees, "Sorry, we're broke." Our fleet is divided into marked and unmarked. The majority of the unmarked are less than 5 years old and are used for commuting. The marked patrol fleet (after three cars simply vanished due to budget cuts) are falling apart and used for responding to emergencies as well as simple patrol. Justice? NOPE!

We're treated by the university administration as a bunch of kids, the kids like either the gestapo or a joke (though we do have some sincere supporters, I do have to acknowlege that) and by our own administration as prank monkeys. It's very easy, when you don't have to do something even slightly degrading, frustrating or simply stupid, to tell someone ELSE to do it. The "You don't like it, LEAVE" mentality. You make good money and have good benefits, STFU and eat the shit we give you and LIKE IT!

A police station that is located on the seventh floor and basement of an office building? REALLY? Being told that you can no longer buy t-shirts and socks with your clothing allowance? REALLY? Petty BS.

I do find myself angry a lot of the time. It's not all work related, but the PETTY BS at work tends to filter over and stuff I could probably just ignore or only get slightly miffed over suddenly becomes a big deal.

The police work stuff that makes me mad, well, like I said, where I work we don't deal with AS MUCH as Delta, but that stuff I could handle with a bit more ease if not for the crap that is generated needlessly by the powers that be.

What scares me most though is, though there are other types of jobs I'd LOVE to give a try to, if I left before my time, I know I'd miss it. When I'm on vacation or the few times I've been out injured, I tend to miss the job and the people I work WITH. How depressing is THAT?!?!?!

Wow, that felt good. Thanks for starting this thread Delta. I could go on for hours, but I'll stop here and take a breather.

10. Usa8235

Usa8235 MassCops Member

My husband worked 30 years nights to avoid all the Brass B/S as much as possible and to do what he called real police work. He was part of Union Representation too and used to say the same things, Delta about the in-fighting. He's been off 5 years now, but unlike your Dad, he hasn't forgotten all the BS yet..said the job has changed so,so much from what it used to be......you sure aren't the only one going what you are going through from what i hear from friends still on the job..not that makes you feel any better!

11. 263FPD

You know, I hear it a lot. When I came on, the guy training me told me that the job has changed. I look back to my first day in September of 1997, and I say to myself, this job changed. The guys I train now, will say it in a few years and on and in it will go. I think the simple reasons for it are just that, simple. The bosses come and go, but they are bigger gaping assholes then the ones they replaced. The town/city government won't stop screwing us. The legislature, passes new laws tying our hands even tighter. Did I miss anything? Please feel free to add what else has changed since each and everyone of you came on. As stated before, love my job, hate the politics. I hate ass kissing bastards even more. People who walk in to a job, and find themselves in a Cush assignment within weeks. This BS never stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LGriffin and USMCMP5811 like this.
  12. Usa8235

Usa8235 MassCops Member

You nailed it 263FPD..same in all Dept's eh!
    The public is worse than ever, with no end in sight
    The media is more out of control than ever
    Justice system a big, fat joke with common sense nowhere in sight

13. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

At least these days we all know we have an excellent shot at being YouTube stars! That's something to stive for.:eek:

mpd61 likes this.
  14. mtc

mtc High Priestess Staff Member

Administration's knee jerk responses to media disdain...

15. lofu

lofu Subscribing Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again, one of the best things an admin could do for the rank and file would be to tell the press (esp the useless local rags that want nothing more than the "gotcha" police headline) to fuck off. Make them jump through hoops and file FOIA requests for every little piece of information they want. If the press wants an "us against them" by either directly or indirectly (through allowing comments on certain stories but not on others) lets give it to them.

Delta784, mtc, Usa8235 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Usa8235

Usa8235 MassCops Member

Media creates so much unnecessary havoc with their "need to know" , make mountains out of mole hills...ridiculous

Kilvinsky and cc3915 like this.
  17. 263FPD

I would know nothing about that. (sarcasm inserted here) they have made me a freaking martyr in my own right. Fuckers

Kilvinsky, Usa8235 and mtc like this.
  18. mtc

Don't forget trying to creep through medians to "get a shot of the body" on the highways!

Usa8235 and 263FPD like this.
  19. 263FPD

Is it wrong to hope that some 18-wheeler careens toward them when they attempt to do that?

Kilvinsky, Usa8235 and mtc like this.
  20. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Bingo.

The media would initially react with glee, thinking "We're ONTO something!!!" when told to file a public records request. After the first few times that the requested information comes 10 days after the fact, when it's no longer "news", and it's nothing of consequence anyway, maybe the media might take the hint.

Kilvinsky, Usa8235 and lofu like this.
  21. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

A reporter that used to work for TV22 in Springfield put in for a FOI request in regards to a drug bust in town. She came back two days later asking about the report. She was told that it took up to 10 days. She then demanded the document and threatened to bring a camera crew in. Chief called her boss and we never heard from her again and that report was never picked up. So you see sometimes the good guys win.

Kilvinsky, Usa8235, Delta784 and 3 others like this.
  22. mtc

What's needed - is more chiefs with stones to tell them to pound it.

23. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

He followed the policy and that report was available after 3 days. She took it upon herself to act like a fool. . She worked for the station for about a year after that so I doubt the incident hurt her employment.

Kilvinsky and mtc like this.
  24. mtc

That's too bad...

25. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

Cheer up, lads. Direct deposit comes in tonight...