A Message/Warning to n00bs, Rookies, and Wanna-be's

Discussion in 'Just Shootin' The Breeze' started by Delta784, Feb 11, 2012.

1. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

We do four months on days, four on PMs, and four on graveyards. We switch FTOs every two or three months. Variety is the spice of life.

2. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

it's time to embrace the madness

i always hum a little tune during the day.

elvis, chirstmas carols, mozart, etc

people ask, why you so happy ?

just a mild case of mental illness boys. :cool: .

3. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

I recall riding with a veteran officer one evening. I had come to work, still new at this department (though I did have a few years of work under my belt from other places). The guy is told, "Ok, he rides with you." He didn't look happy one bit. We get out to the cruiser and off we go. He spent the first 15-20 minutes ranting about, "I dont WANT to be an f-ing training officer! I didn't ASK to be an f-ing training officer. I'm SICK of being stuck with the f-ing new guys....." etc. WAY TO MAKE A GUY FEEL LOVED.

After he did his shtick and we sat in near silence for a few minutes. We started a conversation and within 1/2 an hour, we were friends and have remained so ever since even after his retirement.

It was a combination of his being BRUTALLY truthful, AND simply testing me to see how I'd react. Interesting tactic. However if a guy who signed up to be an FTO does it, he looks like a total idiot. I don't think any have, but I can imagine a couple who might.

4. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

While I was union president I temporarily resigned as an FTO, because I can't say "This guys sucks, get rid of him" as an FTO, then represent him as union president at his termination hearing.

While I was president, I was asked to take a n00b on his very first night out of the academy because his FTO called in sick, and there was no one else working who was certified as an FTO that didn't already have a n00b with them. I agreed to do it, with the caveat that he was essentially a ride-along and would do absolutely nothing except watch me and jump in if I was really in the shit.

It was a somewhat awkward night, with me constantly telling him to not touch the radio/computer, and to say nothing while I serviced a call.

Kilvinsky likes this.
  5. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

Is he still on the job ?

6. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

He is.

7. Kilvinsky

Just don't tell us he's new a lieutenant or something like that.

Delta784 likes this.
  8. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

No, and I will hopefully be happily retired (9 years, 3 months, and 13 days to go, but who's counting?) before he makes rank.

mtc likes this.
  9. lofu

lofu Subscribing Member

PM? I'm curious

10. Kilvinsky

This is a FOUR YEAR OLD thread. I was perusing the various threads and re-found it. I reactivated it for the sake of all those NOOBS here who never saw it for one reason or another. It's very entertaining AND informative and so very true.

Saddest part is, many of the commentators are no longer members here and there is a world of experience, logic, recognition of bullshit here. These are some folks I have the UTMOST respect for. Read through this if you're trying to get on, are on and new, are on and maybe will recognize the issues after years of dragging yourself through heaps of bullshit, horseshit and bureaucratic/administrative insanity.

Where I work, one post I made about where I work, is still very true, but now, we have fewer marked vehicles and MORE unmarked vehicles. It never ends, it just gets worse.

Enjoy! :D

kdk240, kwflatbed, Goose and 2 others like this.
  11. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Looks like Delta's clock is now 5 years :cool:

kdk240, visible25, Kilvinsky and 3 others like this.
  12. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

Daltry and Townsend said it best..." meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Goose and pahapoika like this.