AR-15 platform rifle, your thoughts, BEFORE they become "illegal"

Discussion in 'Firepower!!!' started by Johnny Law, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

There's a reason why all my rifles wear Troy TRX Extreme rails or Alpha Rails, Troy BUIS, Troy VFG's, Troy professional grade sling adaptors and Troy slings....they're the best! I already have one of their uppers on one of my guns, and plan on buying another in the near future!

2. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

...named your firstborn son Troy...

3. Goose

Goose The list is long, but distinguished. Staff Member

He'll be mil-spec when he pops out.

Sent from my POS using Tapatalk 2

Q5-TPR, Johnny Law and Dan Stark like this.
  4. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Depends....if its just for the range, then get whatever. Any kind of Duty use should be AIMPOINT at minimum, with EOTECH running a distant second. Most red-dots on the market are cheap Chinese clones of the Aimpoint exterior design, with none of the technology or reliability.
    Best entry level red-dot for duty use is the Aimpoint PRO (Patrol Rifle Optic) an updated version of the original CompM2.
    Good news is they're bomb proof....bad news is they're around $450 but LE discounts are available. There is a trainer who starts every class by dropping his rifle onto the optic, hasnt failed or lost zero yet.

LGriffin and frank like this.
  5. Goose

That's funny, I saw him throw it 20 yards downrange at the last class of his I went to. When I asked him if he paid for it, he said he pays for all of his shit.

Hush likes this.
  6. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

Aside from son 1 being born on Christmas Eve many moons ago, this is on track to be the best Christmas since I was a lad!!!! I'm ready to expode! Just got off the phone with Mrs. Law, who just met with her Troy Industries contact. We have a standing invite to tour the facilities and talk weapons! I really feel like I won the lottery, even just to see how they do their magic. For me this is awesome, I'm sure for Mrs. Law not so much, but what a huge development.

Like Ricky Bobby says, "I'm harder than a diamond in an ice storm"

Dan Stark and kwflatbed like this.
  7. corsair

corsair Supporting Member

[​IMG]

You might want to forward this chart to your friends and family for a few gift ideas this Christmas. Merry Christmas to all.

Joel98 and Johnny Law like this.
  8. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 92K+Poster

5 Guns to buy before a potential ban

9. LawMan3

LawMan3 Moderator Staff Member

10. sgthoskins

sgthoskins Teufelhunden

Spikes makes a decent rifle. I agree with Killjoy on not getting a cheap optic. Your life could depend on it some day. If you want to go cheap make sure your back up irons are zeroed.

11. Goose

I have a .22LR Spike's upper and I'm happy with it. One of my buddies also just purchased a Spike's M4.

12. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

I have an Olympic Arms lower, Bravo Company A3 upper, and KBTactical lower parts kit. I think I'm going to stop now and see how things shake out.....barrels and bolts are outta sight right now! Pretty darn frightening!

13. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

I was in the market for an upper...now I gotta wait. Was at a store in Pelham, one of the owners was buying mags online, cheap. Listing kept popping up for 100 at a time, like 5 bucks apiece. Its a surplus store owner outside Ft. Benning. Said he has trash cans of mags, dumping them because he's afraid of anemergency outright ban. Stamped, so no-go in lowly MA.

14. Goose

Yup...my wife was a little upset that I bought a new lower six weeks ago. However, my timing was impeccable. :)

Sent from my POS using Tapatalk 2

15. Johnny Law

So after 181 weeks of being jerked off by Smith&Wesson, I've had about enough. Either today or tomorrow, I'm expecting The Competitive AR-15 Builder's Guide to show up via UPS. I'll just build my own, hopefully save some cash, and have plenty left over for a decent optic. Maybe I'll have enough left over for a new Glock too, hahahahaha.

16. Dan Stark

Dan Stark Tears of a Clown

:(

Sorry bro. I can help with build. Have all the tools and crap at job armory: armourers wrench, upper and lower vice blocks, etc

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Johnny Law likes this.
  17. Johnny Law

That was a mistake, it's actually 187 days, it only feels like 181 weeks!!!

18. Johnny Law

I'll probably take you up on that Dan, thanks!

Dan Stark likes this.
  19. Goose

Heck, you will save money since you only pay the 12% FET on the lower receiver that way...then you can assemble it as you wish. Beginners can easily put together a rifle with simple tools (buffer tube wrench, roll pin punches, and a small hammer) and buy a complete upper receiver assembly already assembled.

Johnny Law likes this.
  20. Johnny Law

The whole purpose at the time this thread was posted was to get a quality rifle as expeditiously as possible (after six months, THAT's a laugh) because I had zero experience with assembling one. Now, it's time to stop fucking around and get this right, so I'm going to learn myself.

21. Dan Stark

We can build the upper too. Pretty simple.

22. Hank Moody

Hank Moody Duder Staff Member

A) I thought you went with that "guy" and bought one?
    B) Not sure what you are looking for. I sent a friend two weeks ago to Four Seasons. They have PLENTY of ARs in stock. Pretty sure he grabbed a S&W ORC.

USMCMP5811 likes this.
  23. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

I built mine on the advice of a long time member here. Couldn't have been happier that I did, now I know how to fix things I otherwise wouldn't have has any clue about.

Disclaimer: I still fire springs across the room on occasion by accident.

LawMan3, pahapoika, frank and 2 others like this.
  24. Hank Moody

Hank Moody Duder Staff Member

You and SF have a lot in common. hahahaha

Pvt. Cowboy, Hush and Dan Stark like this.
  25. Dan Stark

NASA consults with me when they want to launch something extra far.

pahapoika, Hank Moody and Pvt. Cowboy like this.