Quantcast

Baby found in pickup truck after high-speed police chase ends in crash

Discussion in 'National' started by kwflatbed, Mar 14, 2012.

1. kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 88K+Poster

LOS ANGELES – A suspected drunk driver was arrested after leading Los Angeles police on a high-speed chase with a baby inside his pickup truck, authorities said Wednesday.
    The chase ended when one of the California Highway Patrol cars rammed the male suspect's vehicle in a PIT maneuver on the freeway's off-ramp, video of the incident shows.
    After the unnamed suspect exited the vehicle and surrendered to police, officers found the infant inside the truck in a child seat, KTTV reported.
    The baby's condition was not given.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/14/baby-found-in-pickup-truck-after-high-speed-police-chase-ends-in-crash/?intcmp=trending#ixzz1p76h4OcC
  2. corsair Supporting Member

Someone really has to find a way to prevent some people from ever reproducing EVER. There are some really smart folks out there, you might want to find a way to remove the reproductive genes from some major assclowns out there. Like the two parents of the year in the above story. Epic Fail.
    USAF286 likes this.
  3. CJIS MassCops Member

Yeah it is called feeding them to the woodchipper or strapping them onto a log splitter. No reproducing after that. Alas, that may be considered by some as cruel and unusual.
    corsair likes this.
  4. OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

Goes to show how differently LE works out there. Around here, "break it off" would come over the radio a half hour before anyone even would have considered pitting the chased vehicle.
    LA Copper likes this.
  5. LA Copper Subscribing Member

The CHP very rarely breaks it off as was seen in this case. In fact, very few agencies break it off around here, unless of course there is something unusual involved.
  6. niteowl1970 Big In Japan

In Hampshire County I've heard supervisors call off pursuits within 10 seconds of hearing " vehicle failing to stop." This could be at 3PM or 3AM.
  7. LA Copper Subscribing Member

Why is that? Do these departments have an actual pursuit policy? If they're allowed to pursue, why are they called off right away without being evaluated?
  8. niteowl1970 Big In Japan

Both departments I work for have pursuit policies and both pretty much green light a pursuit under reasonable circumstances, possible OUI suspects, people fleeing from the scene, etc.

That being said one of the towns that borders my municipal gig will never pursue if the vehicle failing to stop is heading directly towards the town line. They "advise" our dispatch and ask US to stop and hold for them. Then after our officers initiate a pursuit which recently has always ended up in a foot pursuit, crash, or both they roll up sans lights and sirens.
  9. Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit

Because we have dickless lunatics in charge of the asylums around here.
  10. visible25 MassCops Member

This is the chase, in case anyone wants to see it
  11. cc3915 Masscops Angel

Nice PIT maneuver. Wish they would train and allow troopers to do that here. It would end a lot of pursuits earlier. Of course their way is to call them off, so you never get to the PIT stage. We definitely need a felony evasion law in this state.
    Delta784 and USMCMP5811 like this.
  12. LA Copper Subscribing Member

The Mass State Police doesn't have the PIT maneuver in their arsenal? Seriously? The CHP has had it for many years. Even we are now trained to do it. I can't speak for the CHP but our policy is: only at 35 mph and under and never if we have prior knowledge the supsect is armed.

Maybe someone from the MSP command staff should come out here and talk to the CHP command staff to see how and why the PIT maneuver is a good thing.

In this case the PIT was a good one and at least they didn't run up on the car, however, there were several tactical issues with the end of this stop also.
  13. trueblue MassCops Member

Because no one wants to be on the end of a civil law suit when the suspect kills an innocent driver. It's happened plenty of times around here.
  14. LA Copper Subscribing Member

It's happened plenty of times around here too, which is why our pursuit policy has been re-evaluated a number of times over the years.

We used to pursue "everything" but that has since changed. Now we can only pursue a criminal act. In other words, no "simple" traffic violation such as a red light, speeding, seatbelt, etc. It has to be a crime such as robbery, stolen car, drunk driver, etc.

Departments around here are sued all the time. As long as you have an actual pursuit policy and it is followed during a pursuit, the lawsuit should be won every time. If not, let 'em run and we'll consider it job security and hope to get 'em next time.
    Joel98, cc3915 and trueblue like this.
  15. mtc High Priestess

A) The reporter is an ass. GUESSNG - for he does not know - what's going on - but sending it out there like it's Gospel.

B) What are thoughts on - if the MEDIA didn't break into programming and broadcast these things live - would people end them sooner? Give up? Or are they thinking they're going for some record length pursuit?

We collectively can just imagine what Boston Media would be saying during this incident - and then they pull a baby out of the truck? Boston Media would have a FIELD day raking the cops over the coals for endangering Junior - rather than the "ascared" driver.
  16. HistoryHound Supporting Member

We're breaking into your normal programming with live video of a dramatic police chase through the streets of Massachusetts. As you can see police are chasing a white pickup at high speeds for no apparent reason. Now you may recall earlier we reported that a white pick up was seen fleeing the seen of a liquor store robbery where the clerk was severely beaten. We don't know if there is any connection between that robbery and this chase, but we can tell you that the driver would not be fleeing if police weren't chasing him.

We are hearing now that this is in fact the white pickup seen leaving the scene of that robbery. What we are still unsure of is why the police are chasing this vehicle as there is no way to know that the driver is in fact the robber. We have heard from sources that the driver doesn't know what the police want with him and is afraid to stop.

As you can see the police are still chasing this driver who is obviously terrified and being traumatized by the high rates of speed the pursuing officers are driving. If the police would only stop chasing him, we are sure this driver would stop running.

What's happening now? It looks like the police are attempting something called a PIT maneuver. We are being told that this is an attempt by police to stop the fleeing vehicle by ramming into it. Yes, yes that's what they just did.

The police now have the vehicle stopped. They are exiting their cruisers with their service revolvers drawn and ordering this terrified man out of his truck. Wait.... there's also a terrified female passenger getting out of the truck. Clearly the police should have known that they were endangering her life every second of that chase.

It looks like it is over. No, wait! There's a baby in the truck. How could the police have performed such a dangerous maneuver as ramming this truck knowing there was a baby inside. This is horrible. This reporter for one hopes there is a thorough investigation and people are fired. In addition if there are any attorneys out there who would like to represent these victims, please call the station and we will pass on your information.

For WSUX this is Mike Snotwad. We now return you to your regular programming.
    Rock, USMCMP5811, Dazy5 and 2 others like this.
  17. mtc High Priestess

^^ MC Gold right there !! ^^
    USMCMP5811 and HistoryHound like this.
  18. LA Copper Subscribing Member

Massachusetts doesn't have a corner on the market as it relates to negative publicity and lawsuits related to police actions, it happens everywhere. Los Angeles is the second biggest TV market in the country so there's plenty of news folks that follow us around too.

When a pursuit happens, there's usually a helicopter from at least 5 different networks overhead capturing every move. And let's not forget everyone with cell phone cameras that get uploaded to the internet and sent to each news channel.

And as you guys have, we too have our version of the Globe. We have The LA Times, or as I affectionately call it, The Communist Times. They hate us as much if not more than The Globe hates you guys.

As long as you do everything right, and then have a good PIO who knows how to talk to a camera and effectively explain why we did what we did, the story of the big bad police won't last very long, if at all.

LAPD has had a number of controversial incidents over the years and we're still chugging right along so it can be done.
  19. visible25 MassCops Member

I think the reporter doesn't sound like he knows whats going on because they seen so many chases

ALSO I would like to think the MSP have a PIT maneuver, either that or they are VERY good guessers on how to preform one

as seen here:
  20. mtc High Priestess

Oh dear God my eyes are bleeding !! Any clue on proper grammar?

And just because MSP doesn't use/authorize PIT's **OFTEN** - they ARE utilized when the boss says to use it.
    visible25 likes this.
  21. LA Copper Subscribing Member

Believe me, that was not a PIT maneuver. I don't quite know what you'd call it but it was not a PIT maneuver. It certainly was different, that's for sure, not something you'd see out west.

The CHP and us don't always agree on stuff but none of us use a boxing-in technique, it's too dangerous. And I'm still wondering what's up with the unmarked car that comes sliding through the rest of the formation; did anyone ever find out what was up with that?
  22. Rock Undefined

Yes and safe to say he was slightly out of control.
    USMCMP5811 and LA Copper like this.
  23. visible25 MassCops Member

Sorry, I thought that the square formation in the beginning was an attempt at a PIT by MSP. -lack of knowledge there!
    -Also still unsure about that unmarked unit, I found it a tad bit funny the first time I saw it because it was unexpected!

Yeah sorry about the grammar, I was in a bit of a rush and did not have time to check my spelling
  24. gm7988 MassCops Member

reminded me of something from a michael bay movie
  25. trueblue MassCops Member

I thought the MSP did an excellent job. The boxing in of the suspect vehicle worked and the chase didn't last for four hours as some do on the west coast by letting the suspect car lead the way and never making an attempt to stop the vehicle. This puts hundreds of people in danger. (sorry LA). I've been involved in plenty of chases. Pushed suspect cars into trees, ditches, and parked cars. Even took a drivers door off once. My mindset was to stop the movement of his car as soon as I could. I also let some go when I determined the chase was not worth the risk. As for the unmarked...the trooper was probably on a detail and was trying to catch up to the action. He wanted in on the chase and he got it. LA you guys do great work out there I guess we just have a different way of doing things here...good or bad.