Bomb squad called to station By David Riley/ Daily News Staff Monday, July 24, 2006 FRANKLIN -- The Franklin Police Department has found itself under siege in the past few days, between hackers taking over the official Web site Friday and a bomb scare Saturday night. A 44-year-old Franklin man faces a slew of charges after he allegedly dropped a suspicious package in the Franklin Police Station's lobby late Saturday night, causing officers to evacuate the building. Daniel E. Kosmenko, of 57 Oak St., was arrested after a brief chase that led into Bellingham and then back into Franklin, ending at McDonald's on East Central Street, according to police. At about 11:05 p.m., Kosmenko allegedly entered the police station, dropped the package and then fled in his car, police said. According to police logs on the incident, police first evacuated the front lobby and dispatcher area shortly after the package was dropped, and rerouted all 911 emergency calls to the Medway Police Department. The station was ordered completely evacuated at about 11:45 p.m., according to police logs. A state police bomb squad arrived on the scene at about 12:13 a.m. and the station was deemed safe by 1:08 a.m., according to police. Franklin Police initially took Kosmenko to the Medway Police Department, but brought him to Franklin after getting the OK to re-enter their building, according to police. Kosmenko is charged with assault, throwing or placing explosives, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace and threatening to commit a crime, police said. After fleeing the station, he also faces charges for failing to stop for police, operating to endanger, speeding and a marked lanes violation, police said. Franklin firefighters also were called to the scene as backup for the state police bomb squad. On Friday, hackers took over the department's Web site, posting anti-American and anti-Israeli sentiments, including graphic photos of what appeared to be the bodies of dead children. Posted under the banner "Owned by Red Devil and All Other Arab Hackers," the photographs included a close-up of the face of 6-year-old girl the hackers claimed was killed by Israeli troops. Franklin Police said the hacking occurred Friday afternoon. By 7:30 p.m. Saturday, the images had been removed and the site was back to normal. No one was available yesterday at the police station to comment on the the bomb threat.