Boston Police Cadet Program

Discussion in 'Getting on the job?' started by sf1530, Aug 5, 2015.

1. sf1530

sf1530 MassCops Member

Has anyone heard any specifics about the Boston Police Cadet Program? Anything like how many people they are taking, when the test will be, or anything like that. Thanks for the help.

2. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Rumor is it is going to be 75% minorities. If your white your going to need a huge dime. Seriously don't get your hopes up the test is pass/fail, its an absolute joke. They need to hire more police officers (not political hacks to get the super coffee) so we can stop getting ordered every friday, saturday, sunday.

3. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

That's hilarious ! :rolleyes:

i knew marty was a menio clone :(

USAF3424 likes this.
  4. sf1530

sf1530 MassCops Member

That's what I thought. Unfortunately I am on the pale side.

Joel98 and pahapoika like this.
  5. bok

bok MassCops Member

The Boston Police Cadet Program is an appointment position and is not subject to Consent Decree as we know it; Beecher v. Castro decision. In so, the Cadet Program being an appointed position, the appointing authority would be acted upon through the current BPD Commissioner's pen; acting on behalf of a Mayor's cadet candidate choices. The Cadet Program was dissolved under the Menino administration due to budgetary issues to prevent police officer layoffs. This program historically has been the venue of nepotistic politics guided by the Mayor's Office, City Councilors and other politicos....
    good luck to all, you are going to need it.

6. Mr Scribbles

Mr Scribbles Mr Scribbles44.blogspot.com

You must work in a loaded district. We're getting ordered 7 days a week. Staffing: 146 2010. Current staffing 84. Most stations have that many on ONE SHIFT...YET the Crystal Palace does nothing but take for the "Specialized Units", and WHERE do they take from? See above numbers. Is this the proper forum? Maybe I'll post in "Things that really piss me off":mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Joel98 and USAF3424 like this.
  7. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Same district as you my friend. Last halfs so were not getting it as bad as the day/first half guys.

Mr Scribbles likes this.
  8. sf1530

sf1530 MassCops Member

Also, does anyone know if it is a good learning experience. Do you get to go out in the field and gain real life experience, or is it more clerical work. Thanks.

9. The617Viet

The617Viet Red Striper

Being a minority myself, I do not like the fact that they will make it mostly minority. Political correctness really kills everything. I remember some Guyanese kid whining about how he wants the police to be less white and more colored. I'd rather CS look at my skills and service first before my skin color.

PPD54 and PBC FL Cop like this.
  10. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Clerical work. If you get assigned to a district you would get experience writing 1.1s. However you could land a cute position like the academy or HQ. The cadets use to cross people in heavy foot traffic areas as well. I wouldn't worry about the experience. After your 2 years as a cadet you get absolute preference meaning score above a 70 and you will get hired before anyone else.

11. sf1530

sf1530 MassCops Member

That's true. That preference is amazing. Praying every night for some good fortune. Thanks for all of the help.

12. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 Supporting Member

This was probably 20 years ago but I remember the Boston Globe did a story on the cadet program after a certain group was hired. The listed each cadet hired and their relationship to a high ranking city official.

USAF3424, pahapoika and Goose like this.
  13. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

I thought that the contract established Area F, to allow "specialized" guys to get district OT, and hopefully reduce ordering within the districts.
    One thing that they could do to reduce ordered OT (though I'm sure the BPPA will NEVER go for this) would be to open up details to Transit, Housing, Suffolk Sheriff's deputies, and campus guys (most of whom are also Deputies)- of course with the provision that BPD would get first preference for details. This way some of the guys currently working details could pick up voluntary OT instead, and the details would still get filled.

PPD54 and pahapoika like this.
  14. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

That would do absolutely nothing to reduce ordered OT. Are you saying guys would just stop doing details and take OT so outside agencies could do them? Never happen. First half guys are always going to try and get a day detail to protect themselves from getting ordered for a last. If the OT is there when they call 2 days out, its your choice whether you pick up a detail or take the overtime.

You do get an Area F guy on OT every so often. We had a K9 guy as a service car the other night. Most specialized guys and detectives in the districts are on an "extended investigation" or "investigative ot" which prevents them from getting ordered.

Goose and Mr Scribbles like this.
  15. pahapoika

+1
    Opening up the detail list would take care of all those jobs that go unfilled everyday. ;)

woodyd likes this.
  16. Mr Scribbles

Mr Scribbles Mr Scribbles44.blogspot.com

A thought, but three things will trump it:
    • LIABILITY
    • JURISDICTION
    • GREED

woodyd and pahapoika like this.
  17. pahapoika

10-4
    But if you guys ever change your mind I'm sure something like a simple mutual aid agreement would mean guys coming in to help out. ;)

woodyd likes this.
  18. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

I thought that OT rates were higher than detail, so people would prefer OT and take that over details. But the not being able to get ordered part makes sense.

pahapoika likes this.
  19. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

It is but there are still plenty of guys that prefer details over overtime, myself included.

20. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Variety is the spice of life my friend.

21. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Working for the clampdown

My job uses sheriffs, locals, park rangers, Wackenhut security and anyone else we can get our hands on to staff the unfilled details and we still can't fill them.

pahapoika likes this.
  22. pahapoika

The sheriff's department covers quite a few details on the south shore.

And you're right they basically grab anybody they can.

I worked with harbormaster on a bridge job last year.

Great kid and was happy to have the help ;)

23. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Guess I see things a bit differently. I would much prefer doing police work on overtime than standing over or around a hole in the ground in the heat or the cold. After all, isn't that what we signed up for and took that oath for?

PBC FL Cop, BxDetSgt and NegroRotary like this.
  24. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Not doing much police work from the front desk or the booking desk which is exactly where a guy with less than five years on ends up. I would much rather stand around a hole in the ground than write 10-15 rediculous police reports for 8 hours straight. Every homeless person in Boston ends up in the lobby of District 4 at some point in their travels.

25. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

I'm sorry your system is like that and I'm glad ours isn't. However, you'll still learn more about writing thorough reports, conducting proper interviews, and how to talk to people, much better at the desk than standing over a hole.

At the booking desk you can ask questions of the suspects and learn a few things. Stuff like: what their tattoos mean; which gang doesn't get along with which gang; where the hypes hide their dope; where they shoot it and how much; how to talk to bad guys without getting into a use of force, etc.

You're looking at it the wrong way if you think standing over a hole is better than learning about being a police officer and maybe even having the opportunity to help someone, even if it's at the front desk.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015