Boston Police Cadet Program

Discussion in 'Getting on the job?' started by sf1530, Aug 5, 2015.

1. NegroRotary

NegroRotary Subscribing Member

Got it!!! lol

DeltaTango27 likes this.
  2. DeltaTango27

DeltaTango27 MassCops Member

I don't need to work doubles everyday to make me a better police officer. I learn more about gang kids by interacting with them on the street doing simple pro active police work on the street. Hey if you are getting the that kind of information from gang kids at the front desk (if and when they actually walk in) then I'm assuming your are not in patrol or in some type of gang related unit within your department, which would give a rapport with these kids. Besides working details is better for a variety of reasons as mentioned above but to include less stress, better for family life, etc.

I welcome the opportunity to perform the duties that come along with details, because its simple and allows you to put food on the table, a little safer, and hey might even give me a bit more energy to actually do police work during my actual shift.

woodyd and USAF3424 like this.
  3. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Exactly what I was trying to get at.

DeltaTango27 and woodyd like this.
  4. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

I wasn't referring to "working doubles," I was talking about simply working overtime on your regular shift.

I was also referring to an officer who has less than five years on the job and is working the front desk and the booking desk and not out on the street doing pro active police work as you said. If you're on the street then you're already doing the things I mentioned.

I am currently in patrol (and have worked patrol for over 20 years and you're correct, I did work a gang unit for several years as well.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  5. felony

felony MassCops Member

Ugh my agency is like yours. Does Boston force officers in on days off? I can deal with a force, but I absolutely hate getting forced in on days off. Working the lobby, dealing with all the fraudulent credit card issues and identity theft, the occasional restraining order violation and walk in indecent a&b complaint. I would much rather work details than OT. Two reasons, one is your outside with zero responsibilities and two is zero reports.

woodyd likes this.
  6. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

As a Sgt with 27 yrs on the LAPD i think LA Copper is well versed in "police work" ;)

From my humble observation it comes down to money out here. Some officers make more in O/T and some with details.

7. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

Day off force is rough. My place doesn't force on days off, only officers currently on duty can be forced over to the next shift. I don't mind ot, I work last halves so it's a change of pace on days. Only thing that sucks is getting forced on the last day on, then having to fight traffic leaving the city at 1530.

8. DeltaTango27

Yes they do force on days off but it's a rarity because there's a lot of people they have to go through on the list before they get to people on days off.

felony likes this.
  9. sf1530

sf1530 MassCops Member

Does anyone have any information on when the application process will start and/or when the exam will be? Thanks.

10. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Brief Job Description (essential functions of the job):

The Boston Police Cadet Program is an on-the-job training program for Boston's youth seeking a career in law enforcement. The Program is a minimum of a two-year commitment. Cadets rotate throughout the Department in various assignments and shifts, including Headquarters, District Stations, and other specialized units throughout the City. Primary responsibilities include: routine clerical and administrative duties, answering phones, data entry, traffic duty, utilizing Department vehicles, barrier work, and related duties as required.

Qualifications:

Applicants must meet all of the itemized criteria below in order to be eligible:

Be between 18 and 24 years of age.
    Be a United States citizen.
    Reside in the City of Boston and have maintained consecutive residency for the last 5 years.
    Be a high school graduate or possess an equivalency certificate.
    Possess an active, valid Massachusetts Driver's license.
    Meet the same physical fitness standards required of Boston Police Recruits.
    Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on detail as required by the job.

In addition, candidates must pass a qualifying examination. If selected for appointment, candidates must pass an extensive screening process including: hair drug testing, a pre-employment physical, an extensive criminal background check, and a rigorous 8 week cadet training program (both academic and physical in nature) at the Boston Police Academy.

The anticipated hire date will be April, 2016. Applicants are responsible for maintaining an active mailing address, email address, and phone number as communications will be sent out during the process.

THE DEADLINE TO APPLY ONLINE FOR THIS POSITION IS NOVEMBER 1, 2015.

BOSTON RESIDENCY REQUIRED AND MUST HAVE MAINTAINED CONSECUTIVE RESIDENCY FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS

Terms:

Union/Salary Plan/Grade: BPC/BPC-1
    Hours Per Week: 35

Please refer to the Salary Information section on the Boston Career Center site for more information on compensation. For each Salary Plan, salaries are listed by Grade and Step.

Looks like you need to have 5 years residency to get on.

11. sf1530

sf1530 MassCops Member

Thank you SO much for letting me know it went up. I just applied and tomorrow I am going to network as much as I can and try and make some magic happen. This fall I am interning with the department and maybe that will help. I know it is going to be tough, but we'll see what happens. Seriously, you have been so much help and I am very grateful.

mpd61 likes this.
  12. The617Viet

The617Viet Red Striper

Thanks for the alert. I applied as well. Guess no questions can be asked this time, but its safe to assume they are unarmed.

mpd61 likes this.
  13. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Nice to see it's back.

14. Mr Scribbles

Mr Scribbles Mr Scribbles44.blogspot.com

As long as MAMLEO isn't vetting the list
    And it will be interesting to see how many bosses who fled the city years ago manage to sneak their kids in.
    Oh, sorry did I say that out loud...

Goose, pahapoika and zm88 like this.
  15. DeltaTango27

Yes totally unarmed. I'm sure this has been covered but duties usually are front desk/booking and may include meter maid duties. If they treat cadets the same as before than once they put their time in, they are guaranteed a spot in the next upcoming academy. If they fail.......back to the top for the next one..........and the next...........and the next.

USAF3424 likes this.
  16. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

Do you happen to know if Boston still requires just one year for CS residency preference, or did that get increased to 3 yrs, as Councilor Flaherty wanted to do? It's just that I... know some guy who might be considering moving into the city before April to get the residency preference on the 2017 test and wants to know if the year will be enough.

17. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Nah, that never happens :p

Mr Scribbles and Goose like this.
  18. sf1530

sf1530 MassCops Member

I have a couple questions. First, does anyone know of a good way to prepare for the exam. Also, when I go to the exam, should I wear a suit and tie? Thank you everyone for all of the help you provide to some of us newcomers.

19. The617Viet

The617Viet Red Striper

I wore a tux to my civil service exam this year (not kidding, had a wedding after)

sf1530 and Goose like this.
  20. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

The exam is an absolute joke. Its pass/fail. I'm not trying to discourage anyone but they are going to hand pick who they want.

21. Deontae21

Deontae21 MassCops Member

Hey you all, was trying to find some info on what exactly the salary is. I'll be graduating College soon and was thinking aboit applying to this position. Does anyone know what salary grade bpc1 means? Like how much a week? And will I be able to live off of that?
    Thanks for your help

22. The617Viet

The617Viet Red Striper

Unless its 50k a year, you wont make ends meet living in Boston

pahapoika and USAF3424 like this.
  23. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Its less than $20/hr. Make it work any way you can because after 2 years you get absolute preference.

pahapoika likes this.
  24. sf1530

sf1530 MassCops Member

I'm pretty sure its going to be about 24k. Not much at all but its only 2 years.

25. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

That was the salary 10 years ago. And it could be longer than 2 years if they dont hire a recruit class in that time period.