Boston Police Cadet Program

Discussion in 'Getting on the job?' started by sf1530, Aug 5, 2015.

1. felony

felony MassCops Member

They may have gotten above a 95 but that doesn't mean they don't have a criminal record, bad driving history, poor employment history, bad credit, lied during background etc. They will probably drop down to you soon.

Mr Scribbles likes this.
  2. Mr Scribbles

Mr Scribbles Mr Scribbles44.blogspot.com

All I know is what I've heard, and from a reliable source. Like one of the other posters (felony) explained, driving history, criminal records, drug testing etc have all impacted the list of candidates. I was told by same reliable source that class will be put on, but is delayed and more cards will be sent out by CS, to make up for those eliminated for whatever reasons...
    (and yes, my source passes the two pronged test for informants). As for the cadets, it's almost the same scenario. Funny, the class excluded any cops' relatives, many of whom would have been prime candidates including one of my little pencils, BUT in order to keep up appearance and placate certain organizations and groups, they were dumped.

felony and USAF3424 like this.
  3. Mr Scribbles

It's not just Boston, a friend from a smaller town/department told me they had 2 slots open. In the past there would have been 200 applicants, the got 50, and 12 showed up to "sign the book"
    Who would want a job that everyone else in the world knows how to do better than you (trained LEO)?
    Where politicians have too much influence, every other municipal agency dumps their problems on you, the media ALWAYS portrays you poorly, and academia second guesses your decisions. Throw in the phony reverends and other community groups that baselessly claim racism and police brutality and you can plainly see why most people balk at this "job".
    Any fire department want a grumpy 50 something? I can cook, and have a fairly decent though warped sense of humor...

felony, Crazy Otto, USAF3424 and 2 others like this.
  4. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Up here in freedomland, some of the bigger departments are having the same problem. Nashua used to get 250+ to test. Now they're down to 40-50 that show up.

Kinda funny. I try my balls off at a point in time where the applicant pool is FILLED. Now that I've "retired" from applying, candidate pool is empty.

felony, USAF3424 and pahapoika like this.
  5. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Score of 99 on the Boston PD, 100 on Boston fire ( the job I wanted )
    Life long city resident
    Clean background ( at least for the DOC :cool: )
    And...... zilch , nada, nothing !
    Wasn't just me. Worked with the sons of state troopers ,Boston cops , firefighters, etc.

USAF3424 likes this.
  6. Pvt. Cowboy

Those sparkies in Boston have it made pretty well.

USAF3424 and pahapoika like this.
  7. JD02124

JD02124 Supporting Member

A friend of mine thats been on for 3 years is leaving for fire. I would assume hes not the only one.

Mr Scribbles, USAF3424 and pahapoika like this.
  8. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Were losing 5-10 to each fire class. If you go from police to fire your 10 year residency requirement starts over. Guys dont care and are willing to make the jump no problem. More $$, less headaches, better schedule.

Mr Scribbles and felony like this.
  9. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Thought all your sons were on the job? Everytime I pass by your last name in FBR you guys take up the whole drop down box haha.

Mr Scribbles likes this.
  10. felony

felony MassCops Member

I always think the same thing. When I was trying to get on, it was cut throat. Now, 10 years later, they are giving the job away. Do you have a pulse? Clean criminal record? You're HIRED!

11. JD02124

I know a few recent graduates that when I found out they were on I almost shit a kidney. Not saying im an all star just saying its that bad.

Mr Scribbles likes this.
  12. Pvt. Cowboy

The hiring process has needed an overhaul BADLY.

Look, for my current position now, I had a phone screening, a live interview, a Gallup test, another interview, a meeting with a potential co-worker, and then 6 smaller interviews at HQ in one day.

Conversely, as an example, the last class for the MSP had ZERO interviews. They didn't interview candidates on a panel.

Mr Scribbles likes this.
  13. trueblue

trueblue MassCops Member

I don't believe Boston PD does a formal interview either....

14. JD02124

Nope!

15. Pvt. Cowboy

What the flying shit... ??

Absolutely baffling.

16. JD02124

With that being said they do interview your neighbors minimal of three. Every supervisor and reference you give. After taking the written pysch you have a one on one with a psychologist. Also want past 5 years of tax returns state and federal. past 3 years of work attendance notorized. I feel like that whole process is one big interview. Those that want it get it done. Those that dont want it…dont.

pahapoika likes this.
  17. Mr Scribbles

My boys were living at home through the process, and while not a formal interview, they detectives did sit down and "talk" to each of them (as well as Mrs Scribbles and me) during the home visit.
    Just a funny: at one point they asked about proving my kid lived here- since he wasn't on the utilities, mortgage, lease etc (who was on their parents' utilities when they lived at home??) I offered to dig out the family photo album and provide several pics of my kids playing in the yard, pool, out front etc. Got a forced laugh from the detectives and an elbow from Mrs Scribbles. Hey silly question (in my mind) silly answer.

USAF3424 likes this.
  18. DeltaTango27

DeltaTango27 MassCops Member

Heard a lot of candidates failed the drug test.....shocker

JD02124 likes this.
  19. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Guess it's not quite legal yet :D

20. JD02124

Take that hippies!

21. JD02124

Hopefully that eliminates them for BPD in the future.

22. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Nope. If you have juice your all set. Read some of the recent civil service bypass appeals......

Mr Scribbles likes this.
  23. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

I believe these guys are starting the academy nov 5

24. xxgolfxx

xxgolfxx MassCops Member

On a Saturday?

25. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Whatever the monday is closest to that date