Boston St. Patrick's Day Parade to be dramatically shortened

Discussion in 'New England' started by kwflatbed, Mar 17, 2017.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 111K+Poster

Route cut roughly in half due to snow and ice conditions

[​IMG] |
    Updated: 10:41 PM EDT Mar 16, 2017

BOSTON —

Officials are cutting the route of the St. Patrick's Day Parade through Southie due to snow and ice conditions.

The decision to shorten the parade was made during a Thursday evening meeting. The new route will limit the parade to marching from Broadway Station down West Broadway and onto East Broadway, ending at Farragut Road, according to the mayor's office.

"This was done for public safety reasons. It would be impossible to remove all the ice and snow along the traditional route in time for the parade on Sunday," the organization wrote in a statement.

The parade is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. on Sunday, March 19. St. Patrick's Day is Friday, March 17.

2. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Not the first time.
    Happy St. Patricks Day
    Erin go Bragh ! :D

3. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

I typed up a long rant 2 or 3 times then just said screw it. They will continue to chip away at out parade until its completely eliminated.

Caribbean fest on the other hand will never be shortened/cancelled. Shootings stabbings homicides, are those not "Public Safety reasons"?

4. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

5. DeltaTango27

DeltaTango27 MassCops Member

Ok they TRIED to shorten it last year and the organizers took it to court and the city lost. I'm certain this year it is because of the snow, etc. I'm sure conditions pending, the parade will be back to normal next year. Besides they UNordered a ton of people when they officially shortened the route so i'm good with that.

6. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Wrong. Prior to the snow they eliminated the Andrew Square portion of the parade.

Snow removal wasn't an option? Bullshit. If PR/DR/Caribbean festivals took place in the winter the route would be spotless. Also what did the article say, something like 500 public drinking citations issued? How many were issued at any one of the above mentioned festivals? Probably not even 10.

felony, woodyd, Goose and 1 other person like this.
  7. Kilvinsky

When you're dealing with stabbings, do you really want to worry about public drinking?

Crazy Otto likes this.
  8. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

In 5 years I have never written one.

Jim my point was they hammer lifelong southie residents who are drinking out of a red cup in front of their own houses. They let them run wild at the festivals with zero enforcement leading to all of the incidents the night of.

Kilvinsky and pahapoika like this.
  9. JD02124

JD02124 Supporting Member

During the saint patricks prade a few years ago I had a cousin step off the stairs once with a beer and bam! She got a ticket. She was off the stairs maybe 3-4 minutes. Zero discretion used. Now during the cearribiean festival with the jumpè thing the night before I donno whats worse that or Helmand province Afghanistan.

10. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

I'd say Helmand....But It is complete bullshit they are so hands off with the Caribbean festival, but hammer St. P's, and I've seen it first hand. Enforce the same, if you do a no tolerance, then enforce both the same. With the violence they have had at the festival, it should be a no brainer. I'd say it's because the St. P's and their attendees dont have the backing of loud and vocal "community activists", who run to the news and blame everything on racist cops who are overenforcing because of the color of thier skin. The local politicians align themselves with the activists at the festival to appear like they care about the community, minimize the problems so they can get votes. Easier to take a citation complaint, then to be called racist on the news for the 500th time.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  11. pahapoika

There was a stabbing like 20 years ago.. Papers made a huge deal out of it. Turned out it was some guy from Quincy who did the stabbing , but the media made it sound like someone from South Boston had done it.
    Of course we never got an apology.
    Most residents get an invitation from somebody that lives on the parade route. Some years it's so damn cold your happy to watch it from the window inside a warm house :cool:

Watched the parade up at the Heights for years and never had a problem. It always starts with some idiot from out of town drinking up on Broadway.

USAF3424 likes this.
  12. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Exactly lol. I love looking at the adresses of those arrested during the parade.

Im a lifelong southie resident and just pissed theyre messing with one of the few traditions we have left (Pahapoika can back me up on this one!)

Danusmc0321 likes this.
  13. pahapoika

Yeah, the old neighborhood is changing.
    Ran into an old friend over at UMass. We went over to Southie for some lunch and saw a Starbucks on L and Broadway :eek:

South Boston was a safe, close-knit town. Think that universal appeal drew the yuppies into the neighborhood. Of course they'll change everything and ruin it.

Sorry for the rant folks, but you had to live there to know what a special place it was.
    USAF3432 knows what I'm talking about :cool:

Goose, felony and USAF3424 like this.
  14. JD02124

Im not gunna lie I do get bent out of shape driving though Southie. Years ago tomorrow would consist of bouncing from to different family members houses. Now I dont have anywhere to park and just about everyone has moved out to the suburbs. I live in Adams Village now and it looks to be heading the same direction with 3-4 new restaurants in my area its only a matter of time until I cant park infront of my house anymore.

USAF3424 and pahapoika like this.
  15. JD02124

Whats worse is Sullivan's is a tourist attraction…

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    felony, USAF3424 and pahapoika like this.
  16. pahapoika

Actually liked "The Landing" better. Used to be right next to the South Boston Yacht Club.

They had the real clams not the strips and a great fish and chip dinner for like 4 bucks. The city put five handicap spots right in front of their place one year and that was the kiss of death for the place. Greek family that ran it for many years finally closed shop.

Suspect it was an inside job the take out Sully's competition. :(

Danusmc0321 and USAF3424 like this.
  17. Kilvinsky

I ALWAYS have a place to park. SUBURBIA, it's all about the parking and someplace to put the fucking snow! ;)

pahapoika likes this.
  18. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Kellys landing, A&A fisheries, the IA...... all great places to grab a bite. None survived. Luckily the seapoint is still here and has the best steak tips around.

pahapoika likes this.
  19. JD02124

Yea the watered down French dressing or whatever it was… was bomb!

USAF3424 and pahapoika like this.
  20. pahapoika

Looks like you're part of town is changing too.
    Just checked Google Maps . Says Sonny's and Gerand's is closed !

USAF3424 likes this.
  21. JD02124

Sonnys is becoming something else… new owners. Gerard's is now "The Landmark" and Hollywood Video is now Lucy's! You get a yuppy! You get a yuppy! Yuppys for everyone!

22. BIG IRISH

BIG IRISH MassCops Member

We used to come in and drink at the old Power House Pub (now Murphy's Law). The old guys there loved us especially when we brought in subs from Bob's Food Store (bribery for being there underage)!!!

Kilvinsky, pahapoika and USAF3424 like this.
  23. pahapoika

Went in there a couple of times when it was the Power House.
    Don't think they had much in there if I remember correctly.
    Maybe a pinball machine in the corner ?

24. Kilvinsky

I drove BY the Power House a couple of times and even then, felt a strange vibe like someone wanted to HIT me.

25. DeltaTango27

DeltaTango27 MassCops Member

Ok sorry I stand corrected, didn't seem that they had shortened it by that much regardless. They should do the same to the Caribbean festival as well so theres no disagreement there. They do want tickets at the St. Patricks parade and perhaps its just crazier during the Caribbean fest so thats why they don't harp on guys for not writing them.

Besides there seems like a very small contingent of REAL southie residents who actually show up for the parade because now its mostly just 18-22 year old idiots from Rockland or some other town looking for an excuse to get hammered at 11am. Complete amateur hour......