Chicago Traffic Stop... What did I just watch?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by visible25, Sep 27, 2015.

1. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

It's good to see folks talking in a thread like this. It's always good to get involved. If nothing else, at least we are looking at each other's points of view.. no matter how crazy we think the other one is!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    pahapoika likes this.
  2. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Wait you missed one... That cruiser shooting in Millis.

What.... Too soon??

BxDetSgt, carodo, Bloodhound and 6 others like this.
  3. visible25

visible25 MassCops Member

Not to toot my own horn, but I couldn't agree more and I'm really glad I decided to post this here. As an aspiring LEO, this thread has been awesome to sit back and watch the developing discussion and points everyone has brought up. Definitely bookmarking this one.

Goose and LA Copper like this.
  4. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

Here is an example of a proper high risk vehicle stop.

If you will notice, the officers are calm and moving slowly and smoothly, all the while remaining safe and tactical. There is one officer giving clear and loud commands, not ten guys all yelling at once. Contrast this to the chaotic, unorganized and unsafe situation in the Chicago video.

5. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, but don't you know there is some atmospheric anomaly on the East coast that renders the PA unable to be heard by bad guys? And worse, they don't even follow the commands sometimes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goose and Joel98 like this.
  6. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

LA, I'm not disagreeing with you that there are not issues with the video. It's has some serious issues that need to be addressed. I am in between you and Sgt. on this one. It looks like a multi agency felony stop, where everyone wings it and has no set guidelines on what to do. What I don't agree with is your tactics where you have a script for what to do and you follow that. Ive seen enough to know there are not scripts for everything, and some good improvise, adapt and overcome is needed. I've also see guys that follow the leader and their training have the deer in headlights look when something goes off the map. I do agree that having training and a set way to do a felony stop is needed with any agency. It just sounds to me that the way you do them is, drilling the routine and training and not relying on guys experience to dictate what should be done. If badguy does A we do B, if he does C we do D. I just think that letting guys experience dictate what to do is more valuable and productive than following the manual. It sounds to me that you are contradicting yourself, you are saying that you watched one of your guys go after an operator after a crash and he got a "butt chewing", for not sitting on the car, I mention that guys should be able to make decisions on the ground and you said "they are" then why would he get chewed out for making a call on what to do? Obviously the way LAPD does felony stops works for you and know you do plenty of them with out serious issues so thats good, no one likes seeing cops in th news. I can see issues with how LAPD does felony stops working on my agency. One more thing, I don't know you and you don't know me. You probably have been on the job longer than me, I really don't give a bakers shit, don't try and big boy me with the "you will get it kid" routine. I will stack my training and experience up with anyone.

7. LA Copper

Say what? That's not what I do and I certainly didn't do that here. I'm sorry if you interpreted that in something I wrote but that's certainly not my intention. You're right, I don't know you, that's one of the reasons why I wouldn't say anything like that. Let's not get carried away here.

Joel98 likes this.
  8. LA Copper

I wouldn't quite say our stops are "scripted" but we do do them in basically the same way. This particular scenario in this video was pretty basic in my opinion. One lone guy sitting in a car that was already stopped. There was no reason to "wing" it in this case.

I just don't understand why it would make any difference if this happened in Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, Boston, Springfield, etc. This looks to me like it could be "anytown" USA and it could still be handled more safely. But hey, to each their own I guess. This was just a discussion on tactics and how I thought we could do it better.

I'd be happy to buy the first round next time I'm home and we could actually "talk" tactics in person. Putting stuff in writing always seems to get lost in the translation.

Joel98 and pahapoika like this.
  9. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

How can you type something like that. It's been a while, but YOU HAVE MET ME!!!!!"

I rest my case.....

Of Sam Adams, emptying it slowly.

10. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Your righr Kliv. How thoughtless of me.

You are one handsome bastard. :cool:

LA Copper and mpd61 like this.
  11. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

HEY MACHARENA!!!

12. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

It is the tans Kliv, our pasty complexions can not match up!!