Civil Service 2017

Discussion in 'Civil Service' started by fedtostate, Oct 24, 2016.

1. fedtostate

fedtostate New Member

Just in case anyone was wondering, Mass.gov has stated that the 2017 police civil service exam will be on March 25, 2017. The Mass.gov twitter account states that the exam will be for Municipal, State, and Transit officers/troopers and that more information will follow shortly. If this has been posted anywhere else I apologize for the repost.
    Civil Service Information

2. Rodrigo

Rodrigo New Member

3. 9C1Impala

9C1Impala MassCops Member

Any one else see the announcement yet? Now they are charging an extra $50 for your scores to count towards both Municipalities/MBTA and State police. Otherwise, its $100 and you pick EITHER Muni's/MBTA or State police. What a bunch of crap :eek:

J.Elway likes this.
  4. Rodrigo

Rodrigo New Member

Yes i got the email too, it sucks

5. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

Wow! So messed up it's kinda funny

6. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

This will be the first year I don't take the exam. Fuck Massachusetts.

NegroRotary, Joel98 and Goose like this.
  7. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

I've only been posting this video for you for YEARS anytime we have a "fuck this state" moment...

pahapoika and LA Copper like this.
  8. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

If New England doesn't work out, I'll be waiting for you out west. We still need good people like you, Hush!

9. AFMike27

AFMike27 MassCops Member

You can take it, but you won't get preference in any cities. Worth taking for State and MBTA especially if you are a vet.

10. Flash107

Flash107 MassCops Member

As an officer from Florida looking to relocate within the next year, cs scares me. I've got experience and some tough certs to get and I hope I can ride those to get on w an agency. Agencies in fla are not civil service except for the promotion process.

As far as the hiring tests by non cs agencies up there and the argument that they need to do that to put an internal employee through the academy, not necessarily. I applied to my current agency when they announced a sponsorship. Along w 6 others I was selected from over 500. I guess the counter argument to that is the agency being in the financial position to sponsor candidates.

But getting rid of cs I feel would allow the agencies to have better picks for qualified candidates rather than picking based off test scores and no idea of the candidates experience or training.

We have some ftos going through the phases now and they may be great on paper but in the field they are a hazard and a liability and completely inept at being a police officer.

Has it ever happened before where a cs agency hired someone bypassing cs?

11. Hush

The problem is, this is still massachusetts. They play games with civil service, and they play just as many games without it.

mtc, sgtmike1980, Goose and 1 other person like this.
  12. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

That is expensive but it's cheap piece of mind years later when you think about what you might have done.

13. Hush

I'm 35, not married, no kids...I'm not trying to get into LE for the money. I'm tired of Massachusetts, the state, the way things are done...not just the hiring process, everything about MA. The most common question I'm asked when applying in NH is if I would leave for a job in MA. My answer is always the same...not for double the salary. I'm number 2 on the CS list in my town, I've been testing for 8 years...I'm done with Massachusetts.

14. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Yeah it does suck.
    Paid $75 for the fire test and another $75 to take the "pre-physical".
    Then mumbles menino reinstituted the age 32 limit and I was all done :(

Of course his kid had no problem getting a job. . . . . . .

Fight the good fight, but like Trump says the game is rigged !

Goose and Hush like this.
  15. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

Is Boston still 32 or was it raised to 40? I know 40 was being discussed as a compromise between 32 and no age limit, not sure if that's still the policy though.

16. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Police is 40 Fire is 32

woodyd and pahapoika like this.
  17. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

That's what I thought. Thanks for the clarification.

18. devenob

devenob 2300

not that iv ever heard of. What CS departments are doing now that i noticed, is hiring guys off the CS list as reserve officers. Then they can pick who they want to hire full time from that pool of reserve officers.

19. Flash107

Flash107 MassCops Member

Thank you for that.

I met a guy from Springfield a couple weeks back who works part time there and does corrections somewhere in ct. He was saying to just take my certs and degrees in on my next visit and see what they say. I have a feeling they'd say "that's nice but the next test is...".

I'm a DRE and I'm hoping that'll let me slide right in somewhere but I'm thinking it won't even penetrate cs

20. Hush

They're voting to legalize drugs here today, so your DRE cert might be useless tomorrow. This is a state with a heroin "epidemic", and not only do we bring OD'd junkies back to life...some chiefs want to give them all amnesty too. You're moving to a funny state.

Joel98 and pahapoika like this.
  21. MiamiVice

MiamiVice MassCops Member

There's no skipping around civil service, and it's resident requirements period. A non civil service town or a campus agency will probably hire you though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

22. sgtmike1980

sgtmike1980 MassCops Member

The DRE cert is not going to be useless if the law passes, that doesn't even make sense.

Joel98 likes this.
  23. Hush

Sarcasm, commentary on the sad state of affairs in this deplorable state. Some burnout will get to have an ounce of weed, but a P-mag can still put someone in prison.

24. Flash107

Flash107 MassCops Member

Welp. It passed. I work w a guy who's from Boston and he's got a buddy that works in seekonk (sp?) and the general mood is negative. It doesn't address the opiate issue and will prob only add to that bigger problem.

I've been looking at non cs towns and also colleges. I figure that way I can get a foot in the door and gain residency somewhere.

How strict are the non cs agencies w their "15 mile radius" requirement? Wellesley seems like a great place to work and make money but I'll be about 35 miles away from them

Joel98 likes this.
  25. Sgt Jack

Sgt Jack Subscribing Member

I worked part time for a non civil service town for 10 years. As far as I know we never had a 15 mile radius rule. Heck half the full timers lived in New Hampshire to include the Chief and he was about 30 miles door to door. So I'd say the short answer is "It depends"

HuskyH-2 and visible25 like this.