Civil Service 2017

Discussion in 'Civil Service' started by fedtostate, Oct 24, 2016.

1. visible25

visible25 MassCops Member

Is Wellesley hiring?

2. MiamiVice

MiamiVice MassCops Member

Omg no! I know more former wellesley cops than current. Gps, micro management, no crime so plenty of time to do silly menial tasks. Ya the money is good but hardly worth it.

Some better non CS jobs imho; Seekonk, Franklin, Yarmouth, Westboro, Northboro, Holliston, Hopkinton.

Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

3. Flash107

Flash107 MassCops Member

Thank you for the info! I'll be looking into those towns. Franklin I know has a 15 mile radius.

Wellesley does not give waivers or exceptions for their 15 mile requirement.

4. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

The chief should apologize for that too.

pahapoika, Pvt. Cowboy and Goose like this.
  5. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

Just to be clear, all non-civil service police departments in Mass have a 15 mile residency requirement. Civil service is 10 miles unless the union bargains to increase it.

6. sgtmike1980

sgtmike1980 MassCops Member

From reading the court decision its doesn't seem so cut and dry.

7. Bloodhound

Which court decision?

8. Flash107

Flash107 MassCops Member

Bloodhound, Have you heard of any agency allowing a waiver ?

Or would I have a better chance getting hired on with a college or other surrounding state agency?

9. NegroRotary

NegroRotary Subscribing Member

lol la is too far west

10. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

If you really want a police job, you do what you have to do. At least, that's what I did.

Goose and pahapoika like this.
  11. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

There are many PDs where officers live very significantly beyond the 15 mile limit and their employer doesn't care. I have a relative that lived way beyond the limit for like 20 years. One day, a memo came out from the town saying that everybody had to immediately comply with the 15 limit law or resign.

12. LA Copper

Out this way, our officers live an average of about 30 miles away from the city. Many others live over 50 miles away. Thankfully it doesn't snow around here or the drive would really be a bummer.

Goose, Edmizer1 and pahapoika like this.
  13. Tango_Sierra

Tango_Sierra MassCops Member

5/3 schedule, no thank you....

Pvt. Cowboy likes this.
  14. sgtmike1980

I'm guessing that it could be fought, I mean at least under past practice. The town/city allowed it to happen and all of a sudden they want to enforce it?

15. sgtmike1980

I heard that Officers live as far away as Vegas and fly in for their work week and fly back and get some type of commuter rate. Any truth to that?

16. Sgt Jack

Sgt Jack Subscribing Member

Jeez that's pretty bad. Its not like you can just pick up and move on a moments notice. Wonder if they were looking to target certain people.

17. LA Copper

I've heard that too but can't confirm it. I have however met a couple of guys who live down near San Diego and commute up and another who is up north in Santa Maria and commutes down.

Most of our patrol guys work a 3/12 schedule so that leaves four days off in a row for the commute. Each patrol station has a cot room, a gym, and showers so it's doable.

Goose likes this.
  18. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Subscribing Member

I'm too old for my residency town and am currently full time with a non-CS agency. Any point it taking the test without residency anywhere? I haven't taken a CS test In many years. I've heard you can pick any cities and towns but obviously I'd be with all non residents. Any places ever get to non-residents? Am I am not a vet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

If you're under 35, you can go for MSP.
    Technically, Transit would be an option, but realistically they're 100% Vets for hiring.
    There are occasions when CS towns exhaust their residents lists and the statewide Veterans list, opening up to non-Vet, non-residents (apparently that happened in Adams this year).
    Finally you could try to see if you're residency town will seek a home rule petition allowing you to qualify despite being over the maximum age; the rules for this vary by town, you may want to look into this for your town.
    Overall, it's probably worth the $150 and Saturday morning, but YMMV.
    Personally, I don't have a residency city due to moving during the one year before test day, and I'm not a Vet so no Transit, so I'm leaning toward only taking the MSP test for $100, but I might do municipal as well just in case there's another situation where a town calls non-residents.

20. visible25

I thought for CS you had to have MA residency and then just list the towns you want your scores to be sent to -initially. The way I'm reading your post, you can only apply to departments within your area of living? Maybe I'm still tired and misreading/misunderstanding this, sorry!

21. Bloodhound

You get residency preference if you are eligible (one year of continuous residency in the same city/town up to the test date). Other than that, you are placed on the statewide list. Several years ago, you would select the 3 cities/towns where you wanted your score sent to, but those days are gone.

Goose, woodyd and visible25 like this.
  22. visible25

Ah wow, that clears a LOT up! Thanks - So theoretically one could be picked up by anyone

23. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Ok, so the residency rules are different for non-civil service and civil service police departments.
    Under Chapter 31 Civil Service its 10 miles

"any person who receives an appointment to the police force or fire force of a city or town shall within nine months after his appointment establish his residence within such city or town or at any other place in the commonwealth that is within ten miles of the perimeter of such city or town; provided, however, that a city or town may increase the 10 mile residency limit under a collective bargaining agreement negotiated under chapter 150E"

Under Chapter 41 Section 99A , non civil service its 15 miles

"Section 99A. Any member of the regular police or fire department and fire alarm division of a city or town appointed subsequent to August first, nineteen hundred and seventy-eight shall reside within fifteen miles of the limits of said city or town. Said distance shall be measured from the closest border limits of said city or town in which said member is employed to the closest border limits of the city or town in which said member lives; provided however, if any said city or town by local ordinance or by-law to which the provisions of paragraph (d) of section seven of chapter one hundred and fifty E of the General Laws shall apply, or by collective bargaining agreement shall require the members of a regular police or fire department appointed on or after August first, nineteen hundred and seventy-eight to be residents of such city or town, the provision of such local ordinance, by-law or collective bargaining agreement shall supersede the provision of this section and provided further such local ordinance, by-law or collective bargaining agreement shall apply only to those members of a regular police or fire department appointed subsequent to the adoption of such local ordinance, by-law or collective bargaining agreement."

However both state that if you can negotiate in the contract to extend that range. A couple of bordering PDs have no limits in their contracts now, think one is 25 miles. We still have the 15 mile rule.

24. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

I believe out of state residents are in the same situation as MA residents who don't have residency (either due to moving or living in a non-CS town). You can definitely put in with MSP and Transit, and you'll be on the non-resident list for towns. You will be on the list and could get a card, but being out of state COULD possibly make your background investigation process harder and maybe if you were in a tied group, a more local person might be favored.

Spartan219 likes this.
  25. csmpulsar

csmpulsar New Member

I do not know if this was posted yet how can I prepare myself for this upcoming exam? Practice questions or classes?