Civil Service 2017

Discussion in 'Civil Service' started by fedtostate, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas MassCops Member

In all my time taking civil service tests I've found the guide offered by the civil service department is better than any class I have taken or book I have read. Just read the guide a few times to understand the TYPES of questions you can expect. The rest is up to you.

pahapoika likes this.
  2. csmpulsar

csmpulsar New Member

Thank you!

3. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

I'm sure it's changed drastically since I took it, but a good night's sleep, comfortable clothing and good reading comprehension seem to help testing considerably.

I would take the test Triple and apply for the towns you want ( or what civil service throws at you. ). With your background can't see why somebody wouldn't hire you.

sgtmike1980 likes this.
  4. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Subscribing Member

I heard Plymouth PD got down to non residents on the last test. Just what I heard... not sure if it's true or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pahapoika likes this.
  5. Rufus Teague

Rufus Teague MassCops Member

pahapoika likes this.
  6. wryman

wryman MassCops Member

Looking at the list for Plymouth, they would have been hiring 20+. Hmmm...

7. sgtmike1980

sgtmike1980 MassCops Member

There are some towns that exhaust the resident list, sometimes. I would look at small affluent towns where little Johnny or little Suzie comes from a rich mucky muck family and doesn't want to be a cop. Cohasset and Hull come to mind. I went through this years ago. I was with a non CS town and wanted to get a CS town and lateral to a city, it worked out. I don't know how the CS picks work now, I understand its changed over the years a few times. When I was still playing the CS game you could change your pics. I would change them and see where I was on a list and would send the chief a resume, otherwise your just some name on a list. I ended up getting hired as non resident on a CS town. I was very surprised at the response I got. If a chief knows you are a trained, experienced Police Officer, he/she just might be willing to try and reach you on the list. PM me and I will give you more specific details.

pahapoika likes this.
  8. pahapoika

Plymouth is a big town. Real busy in the summer , cheap housing, the ocean, plenty of details , strong union, etc.

Think you would like it there :cool:

9. wryman

wryman MassCops Member

Civil Service has changed a lot over the years. When applying for the exam, used to choose you resident town + 2 non resident towns. Now it is JUST the town you reside, plus a state wide list. Unless you have 534 CSC pref, the state list is useless. When hiring, they still use the 2x+1 method. If your town is hiring 2 officers, they have to interview or call for the top 5 on the list (or how ever many tied at #5). If they're hiring 5, they call 11, and so on...

10. sgtmike1980

I thought they were going back to the residence town/city and 2 choices?

11. sgtmike1980

I heard that was a place to avoid.

MiamiVice likes this.
  12. pahapoika

Have no firsthand knowledge of Plymouth PD. :cool:

Worked a few details, spoke briefly with some of the officers and on the surface everything seems okay.
    Geographically if you like the ocean it's a pretty good spot and because of the town's size you can usually get a good deal on buying house.

13. MiamiVice

MiamiVice MassCops Member

Also heard that, hostile management, crappy contract etc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

14. sgtmike1980

Yeah, I heard the same.

15. sgtmike1980

Location is great, I used to work on the Cape, miss it everyday. I traded in the Cape life to be a city cop, my career goals have been fulfilled and should keep going the way I plan, but I miss the Cape life a lot!

pahapoika likes this.
  16. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Contract is online doesn't look bad

17. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

Good, cuz I live 13.2 miles away my door to the station...........just sayin;)

18. sgtmike1980

Seeing how its the closet border to the closet border as the crow flies. even the ten miles for CS departments is pretty far. Anyone know of a good distance calculator, maybe something online?

19. MiamiVice

MiamiVice MassCops Member

Cs is your front door to closest border.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

20. wryman

wryman MassCops Member

Civil Circus has changed so many times, it's very possible.

21. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

You can measure distance with Google Maps.

22. NegroRotary

NegroRotary Subscribing Member

How long does it take for the scores to come out?

23. visible25

visible25 MassCops Member

As long as it takes you to realize your username might raise some eyes if it ever comes up in a background

woodyd likes this.
  24. unexpo

unexpo MassCops Member

[​IMG]

Scores have to be emailed to you no later than 60 days after taking the exam. However, like other people have said, it will probably take 6 months for them to come out with a list to see where you're ranked

25. NegroRotary

NegroRotary Subscribing Member

Why would it raise some eyes?