Civil Service Marks and Testing (Old thread)

Discussion in 'Civil Service' started by fscpd910, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Oh....no, no, no.....seniority at our place is historically based on whatever criteria is favorable to the candidate with the most political connections. I was hired with a lateral (always go to the bottom of their class) who was related by marriage to the then-mayor, and they tried a sneaky move where he suddenly appeared at the top of our class on the seniority list after a couple of months. It turns out they snuck him into city hall the morning of the day we were sworn in, and had him sign the book about 5 hours before everyone else. The rest of my class had to collectively threaten a lawsuit to get it straightened out.

They also pulled a cute move by calculating the sergeant's exam scores in a completely different, bizarre manner than usual in order to place the relative of another political big shot ahead of everyone else.

SgtAndySipowicz and cousteau like this.
  2. cousteau

cousteau MassCops Member

Yeah, Delta is right. He's got some years ahead of me and has seen a lot more crap at the department than I. The BS that goes on behind the scenes there to get someone in the job the admin wants them in is likely criminal, if not at least highly unethical and unfair. It puzzles me how it can still go on unless there are a lot of people in the state house who go along with it. But we know that couldn't happen.

Delta784 likes this.
  3. SgtAndySipowicz

SgtAndySipowicz Supporting Member

I stand corrected, and I now recall another way of doing things that occured a few years back. A large class was sworn in. When it came to shift picks they decided to "pull straws" instead of the way I mentioned etc. Interestingly, one of the recruits was a close relative of a very high ranking officer. From what I have been told this recruit would have been at the bottom if things were done the way I mentioned. That recruit got a much better shift pick via the straw pulling way of picking. We don't have it that bad overall, but the politics in Quincy are like no where else (in my opinion).......PS: maybe Chicago has us beat.......

4. WaterPistola

WaterPistola Subscribing Member

So...only in Massachusetts would they take down the system that tracks applicants in civil service without the new one being ready. https://www.csexam.hrd.state.ma.us/standings/

Oh well the joke's on us, they aren't hiring anyone anyway!

5. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

I noticed that, pretty silly. Cards have gone out though, in a few communities at least.

6. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

Anybody know whats up with SOARIS? it says there streamlining it (usually never a good term) but it says that the list will be held state wide removing limited non-resident locations selection- what in the holy hell does that mean?. Im a disabled vet i am 2 in brockton with residency preference and crossing my fingers for a card am i gonna have to compete with all the other disabled vets on the list now and lose my spot?

7. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

This gem of a thread apparently accidentally got deleted four years ago. I restored it but I'm locking it down since it's so old and there are other newer threads. It's here for posterity. Hope you all enjoyed it.

Johnny Law likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.