Civil Service

Discussion in 'Civil Service' started by Dee, May 12, 2016.

1. Dee

Dee MassCops Member

I read a article in the Paper that says Grafton MA voted at town meeting to get out of Civil Service, this seems to be happening more and more.

2. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

New law takes effect July 1 allowing towns to bypass homerule petitions to get out of
    Civil service. Selectmen, mayor local government can do it without a home rule petition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. MiamiVice

MiamiVice MassCops Member

Ummmm No. The "municipal modernization bill" which could potentially allow that is currently in committee at the state house.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

felony and Edmizer1 like this.
  4. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

The only thing I heard is that unions want something in there that says the towns have to negotiate with the union. The way it is now, the towns don't have to.

5. MiamiVice

MiamiVice MassCops Member

6. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

As a major change in working conditions, yes they do.

7. Rogergoodwin

Rogergoodwin MassCops Member

This change wouldn't affect collective bargaining at all, it would just give the city more autonomy in making decisions, as opposed to following civil service rules.

8. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

I respectfully disagree.
    Section 241 of the municipal modernization bill, H.3907, permits municipalities to exempt positions from Civil Service through a vote of the governing body instead of through special legislation, as is currently required.
    Right now they have to file a home rule petition that has to be approved by the legislature and they have to negotiate with the union. Hence , a lot of police
    Departments got something for it , like full Quinn for everyone and big raises. If this goes through its voted at the local level without having to go through the legislature.

9. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

Again, it would still require first bargaining with the union. Then the governing body of the city/town approves it. The legislation eliminates the extra final step of having the legislature give the final approval through home rule petition.

10. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Yes Currently but once this passes it does not. Same as health insurance reforms were instituted without collective bargaining. Nothing in the future form says anything about approaching unions.

11. felony

felony MassCops Member

Ugh, it looks like the state wants to eliminate CS all together. Of course every town administrator/Mayor, will have a special town meeting to vote the PD out of CS. Then put pressure on the Chief, to hire who they want and tie up Union attorneys, with discipline matters. This also allows the town to eliminate lateral transfers or at least force the officer to go to a non-CS community.

Police Unions are voting out of Civil Service for education incentive or partial Quinn. Many who are on now, are already grandfathered on and don't care if they lose CS protections for new hires.

12. Treehouse413

Treehouse413 MassCops Member

I get the good and bad of CS trust me I've been living it for 17 years. My only issue is what happens to those of us who came in under the system and now you have a mix of others who aren't part of the system .

felony likes this.