Court Officer / Associate Court Officer (State wide vacancies )

Discussion in 'Massachusetts Employment' started by Foxy85, Aug 23, 2013.

1. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

I got an email saying that in January, it would be looked at whether an academy would be held for FY 2017. They are easily down about 100+ officers. The last class had 52, but then there was an early retirement package and they lost 50. The director is bringing back per diem court officers-retirees to temporary fill shortages. Just last year he got rid of them because he did not want an older workforce. Go figure

2. JR90

JR90 MassCops Member

Haha I hear ya. They brought back the per diems already months ago, we'll at least in my courthouse, but yeah a lot of courthouses are still really short handed especially mine. All of our transfers got delayed because the postponed the academy thus not being able to fill our spots

3. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

Yeah some courts in my area have plenty of acos at the Security stations, but a lot of them cannot meet the academy standards. The director does not want to use them for CO 1 duties. We are but sure what is going to happen to ACOs.

4. EJS12213

EJS12213 MassCops Member

The current word going around is end of January.

5. Webb

Webb MassCops Member

3 months away lets see.:rolleyes:

6. JR90

JR90 MassCops Member

I second this comment :rolleyes:

7. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

Yeah there has been talk of mid year cuts coming down the road, but hopefully the governor's cuts don't spread to the Judicial Branch. Funding for the trial court goes up by so little each year, while the demand for services is constantly increasing. It has always been the case in my years of working for the Trial Court.

8. Rogergoodwin

Rogergoodwin MassCops Member

There was an early retirement package for group 2 employees? I thought it only applied to group 1.

9. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

It was not really an early retirement package, a retirement incentive of $10,000 to leave and it was for all employees. That package you are talking about was only offered last year for Executive Branch employees only.

JR90 likes this.
  10. J.Elway

J.Elway MassCops Member

I received a email from HR for the January academy first week of November. Now waiting on last email for academy in January. My question is does everyone start at CO1 or can go to CO2 with years of service and 15 years of experience. Would I also be able to transfer all my time over from a the sheriff's dept. Rumors are the academy is structured just like a correctional academy? Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and be safe.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  11. Javert

Javert MassCops Member

State time transfers over in regards to retirement.

Everyone starts at CO I. The only way to speed up to CO II/III is with college/military beginning with your first day.

The CO Academy is now one of only two academies in the Commonweath to have national accreditation. It's honestly about an 80% crash course police academy (crim law, con law, DT, first responder, etc...), 10% corrections (handling prisoners, cell extractions, etc...) and 10% Court specific (court procedures, court doctrine etc...). I believe it's 10 weeks now.

12. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

Had not heard they had bumped it up to ten weeks now.

13. J.Elway

J.Elway MassCops Member

Thanks Javert, but I did here the academy was still 8 weeks.

14. wrangler

wrangler MassCops Member

The Sheriffs Dept retirement is group 4 the court officer is group 2. 20 years from now you will wish you stayed in group 4. The end of the day its all about the pension.

J.Elway and pahapoika like this.
  15. J.Elway

J.Elway MassCops Member

Yes, I understand but longevity wise I end up With a higher salary with trial courts. Which will give me more of the $$. I'm still juggling with how to transfer all my time of service over...

16. Rocko

Rocko New Member

Hey everyone. What's new? Any academy updates??

17. J.Elway

J.Elway MassCops Member

I have not heard or received any email yet. At orientation they said first week of January they will be sending out emails...

18. JR90

JR90 MassCops Member

January 23rd is the start date

19. J.Elway

J.Elway MassCops Member

Yes!!!!

20. Rocko

Rocko New Member

That's great!! I wonder how many actually show up that day! Hopefully everyone makes it.

J.Elway likes this.
  21. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

There maybe another academy in the new year, whether it is just for ACOs only seems to be unknown at this time. We are in upcoming contract negotiations, and there are many unresolved issues management.

22. gobruins

gobruins MassCops Member

So I was offered this job for the May academy. I attended orientation, physical drug screen etc. I was given my courthouse assignment unfortunately I could not take the job due to a previous engagement. I informed HR and they told me to write an email as to why I couldn't attend, which I did. And they said OK there is going to be another in August. Obviously that never happened fast forward to now. I never got an email but know people that did. I called HR and they said I wasn't selected for whatever reason. Anyone have any thoughts am I SOL for good or just an oversight or what. Any comments would be appreciated.

23. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

Your guess is as good as mine. I am an ACO that made it through the process and was suppose to go in August, along with the other ACOs who made it through. There are just handful of us. HR has not told us that were not selected, and the word from management is that they are having us go in the next academy because of staffing. But no date has been scheduled. I have inquired about what happens when the PAT results and physical but no one has an answer. Welcome to the trial court hiring process.

pahapoika and JR90 like this.
  24. wrangler

wrangler MassCops Member

Whens the next test? I might take it cause i'm bored.

25. EJS12213

EJS12213 MassCops Member

Next Academy as in January or May?