Court Officer / Associate Court Officer (State wide vacancies )

Discussion in 'Massachusetts Employment' started by Foxy85, Aug 23, 2013.

1. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

Possibly May no date has been set, but there is a lot of uncertainty as we are in contract negotiations about what the plans are for ACOs

2. Rocko

Rocko New Member

Looks like no January academy??

3. Rocko

Rocko New Member

Anybody have any news??

4. JR90

JR90 MassCops Member

Academy starts next Monday

5. J.Elway

J.Elway MassCops Member

Academy starts Monday.

6. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

I guess they are looking to have another academy in May, as this class in January still does not get us up to the staffing levels we need. If you made it through the process your application is still being considered. The governor said that the revenue forecast looks better for this coming fiscal year which is a good thing for the courts.

J.Elway likes this.
  7. J.Elway

J.Elway MassCops Member

Does anyone know why is it mandatory to stay the first two weeks of the academy? Also what should be the expectation of the academy...

8. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

It is a bit unusual since other academies like the sheriff's office don't have that type of mandatory stay. It was optional for the court officers to stay who took the job a few years back. It is difficult for many people who have families to do that type of academy. They originally wanted to have it all mandatory stay. It does get very costly to run that type of academy.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  9. J.Elway

J.Elway MassCops Member

Yes! It is that is were I'm coming from the sheriff's office..is concept the same as the sheriff's academy?

10. EJS12213

EJS12213 MassCops Member

It's so they can run you nonstop from early morning to late night.

Kenny likes this.
  11. EJS12213

EJS12213 MassCops Member

I guess it depends on the sheriff Dept. I've talked to a few guys that came from different sheriff's and they all said it was harder than there sheriff academy.

12. cal1nu

cal1nu MassCops Member

Does anyone know the time limit for the Physical Abilities Test (PAT)? The email says it's a timed event but doesn't give the time limit according to your age and gender like the Cooper Test. I'm going to wear my stop watch, so how are we going to know if we pass or not? Take their word for it?

13. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

It is more of a fitness level test versus the Cooper test which is more of a standard. HR just tells you by email that you passed it a few days later. Good idea to bring the stop watch as I would have liked to know what time I got.

14. Javert

Javert MassCops Member

Any boots on the ground with an update? Rumor around Boston is this is one sorry lot. (30% gone already can't be right..right?)

If so, looks like The Hill is forcing us to take every obease sign holder and check writer whose failed at life again.

pahapoika likes this.
  15. EJS12213

EJS12213 MassCops Member

That sounds about right. I believe they started day one with less people that was supposed to be there. I think the class was supposed to be mid to high 60's. Somewhere around low to mid 50"s showed up.
    The courts still making the same mistakes 6 Academys in. They know they are going to lose people but they don't put the extra bodied in to make up for it.

16. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Because there is mandatory cooking classes for the judges they will serve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuzzywuzzy, pahapoika, Goose and 2 others like this.
  17. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

Interesting, no surprise there! Not the first time this has happened here! Same tug of war between the Trial court and the legislature. They found out the original hiring plan that they sold to the legislature three years ago did not happen here.

18. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

You left out the 24 hours of "massage" classeso_O

pahapoika and j809 like this.
  19. wrangler

wrangler MassCops Member

Somethings never ever change no matter what. LOL

20. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

They want to sort out who's pitching and who's catching.

j809 likes this.
  21. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

What a joke,why do they need an academy? Unbelievable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

24 Hours of Emulsifying and Deodorizing (laundry)
    40 Hours of Hygiene and appearance
    66 Hours of Keyring management

Fuzzywuzzy, Goose and j809 like this.
  23. Rocko

Rocko New Member

The academy is 8 weeks long. You go home every Friday for the weekend even the first two mandatory weeks. Some guys that lived close to the academy could go home every night after the days work. They just want you to stay Monday through Friday the first two weeks.

24. fjd1075

fjd1075 MassCops Member

From reading the previous posts seems like that kind of stay is a little unnecessary and a waste of resources. Considering the state sheriff's departments academies are just as long in duration and can get the adequate amount training they need without that kind of stay.

25. Javert

Javert MassCops Member

Staying is mandatory because we need some sort of a para military feel off the bat. The next 6 weeks is optional however it's not a waste of resources. A kid from the cape would go broke if food and lodgeing wasn't provided.

J.Elway likes this.