CPAC

Discussion in 'State Police' started by bos155, Jul 15, 2009.

1. bos155

bos155 New Member

Hi I'm a college student who will be working my internship with the state police CPAC unit and had a few questions if you all don't mind. First let me say that I have full intentions on applying to become a Trooper in the future as soon as I can and that I'm pretty positive this is what I want to do. I have seen a few posts on here about CPAC and didn't know if people were sarcastically saying that it is somewhat of a students chance of being recognized or if it isn't that big a deal. I want to say that I have every intention of making a good impression and working my hardest but I just wanted to know if the state police would look at a 20 year old seriously. (I know you have to be 21, I mean if I graduate they would want to pick me up if I made a good impression.)
    The reason I ask is because, as it is obvious, I did not take the last exam because I am not of age. Also from what I see on these boards the state police are years away from calling up that class. I will obviously try my hardest to make a good impression, and just wanted to know how seriously would they be taking me. I have an incredible GPA, great physical shape and speak Spanish.

If anyone could give some insight as to some things that I might expect or things they might expect from me I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks.
  2. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

Lots of dead people.
  3. mtc

mtc High Priestess Staff Member

Fixed it for ya!

Seriously kid - you'll have an excruciatingly long wait just to get ON.... then years of proving yourself, interview for the unit, etc.

There won't be another test for 10years, My advice is to look elsewhere for a police job, be open to moving across the country, and keep your ear to the ground if MSP is where you want to retire from.

{I thought you had to be 18 to take the test anyway?}
  4. jettsixx

jettsixx Had enough

Go south, they are always looking for police, besides I dont think MA is going to be here much longer.
  5. bos155

bos155 New Member

Well thanks for the honest opinions, wasn't what I was hoping for but it gives me a wider view of things. As for mtc... I believe they actually changed the age for the testing just a year or two ago. According to the website it's 21 now.
  6. MM1799

MM1799 Subscribing Member

Are you asking what CPAC would expect from you as an intern or what you should expect should you become a Trooper assigned to CPAC?
  7. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

Funny, I was looking up some info for this kid and found this website...I wonder if they know what their product names mean in the LE field...
    CPAC Managed Services
  8. capesgt

capesgt MassCops Member

The use of the term CPAC is no longer used by the State Police. Many years ago when the CPAC Units were first established the letters stood for Crime Prevention and Control. These CPAC Unit were and still are state troopers assigned to the various District Attorneys Offices. The first CPAC Unit to be established was the Cape and Islands by the late DA Phil Rollins. Over the years the State Police has expanded the number of officers assigned to various detective functions and the now the units are State Police Detectives- Cape and Islands DA's Office or State Police Detectives- Bristol DA's Office etc. Many people still refer to these units as CPAC but just as many people never knew what the letters CPAC stood for and that was one reason for the change. However, for some of us that have been around for too long.... we still call it CPAC.
  9. L4G81

L4G81 MassCops Member

OK - and I don't mean to sound like an ass here, but, if you are going to be having an alleged internship with MSP Det. Unit then why don't you ask MSP Unit when you INTERN with them????????????????????????

10. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

You've been watching The Departed way too many times kid
  11. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

The "State Police Detectives" - Plymouth County DA's Office former XO (what a long title eh?) really managed to wrongfully prosecute and end multiple careers at Massasoit P.D. and skate out of it.
    #-o
    But give the "man" credit, He did apologize to the Sgt who's career he ended. Not even the Colonel could save that mess. The Civil case will probably be decided in a few more years.
    :uc:
  12. Mikey682

Mikey682 Subscribing Member

"Yes Sir/Ma'am, No Sir/ Ma'am"..."I've finished this assignment, whats next"...."I'll make that coffee run...." Do the bitch work without complaining, and treat everyone in the office as if they are future references...and don't think they won't be asking the janitor what he thought of you, either! Dress in a shirt and tie, and lose any/all cool kid hair gel/jewelry.

These things, minus obvious ass kissing will eventually make for good references when and if your number gets called. It did for me!!
  13. mtc

Do you REALLY think he dreamed it all up just to phuck with them or do you think he was told to?

When dealing with an administration that creates issues just to phuck with the rank and file... you have to question where the order comes from.
  14. Rock14

Rock14 New Member

I've interned for two different CPAC units and had a great experience with both. Got to see a lot of good stuff and learned a ton. Which office will you be working with and what college do you go to?
  15. TRPDiesel

TRPDiesel MassCops Member

Mikey,

Your more of a ballbuster then an ass kissing type. Was it something you grew out of?
  16. jmestano

jmestano MassCops Member

I had a great internship experience with the Boston Police. Just don't expect an internship to turn into a law enforcement job, because it isn't going to get you extra points during the application process.

However, it could certainly be a good thing when you go for interviews, especially if an officer offers to be a reference. Also, you'll get to see what day-to-day work around a police station is like. Some interns I met were surprised to find that gun battles and car chases are not a daily occurrence.
  17. mtc

Yeah, chillin' around a police station IS rather boring! Especially when you get to run ONE thing all night!
  18. jmestano

jmestano MassCops Member

In my case, it was the copy machine. :D
  19. capesgt

capesgt MassCops Member

I have had a number of interns from colleges all over New England at our State Police office. I remember taking two of them (one female, one male) to an autopsy at the ME's Office in Boston. The female asked a million questions and almost wanted to help with the cutting. The male, well he just stood by and didn't say much. On the way back to the Cape he was very quiet. When we pulled back in the office parking lot and the female stepped out I asked him if everything was all right. He just looked at me and said "maybe I should think about being a fireman instead!" The next day I told them both we were going out to an unattended death and he called me aside and asked if I needed anything photocopied or filed as he was going to stay at the office, the female... she was waiting at the cruiser for me to come out of the office. Internships can be a very valuable learning experience for college students.
  20. sean37

sean37 MassCops Member

bos, your half way there. when you interview though, listen up. this worked for a guy i know. dont dress up though.... they want you to stand out. go into the interview with a white don johnson jacket and sandals and say "hey, i dont have time for this, wheres my gun and badge". thats the fast track to undercover work.
  21. Mad-Dog24

Mad-Dog24 MassCops Member

can I get an internship with the Oriental Rug Theft Squad, maybe the Tactical Child Seat Installation Team ????????????????
  22. Rock

Rock Undefined

Send me your resume and 3 references. I need someone to suck the farts out of my seat cushions and I can't wait for the 80th.
  23. sean37

sean37 MassCops Member

speakin of, anyone know when the 80th starts? sorry, couldnt resist rock.
  24. Rock

Rock Undefined

I'm not sure but I think someone started a thread on that. :rolleyes:
  25. firefighter39

firefighter39 Subscribing Member

Didn't the DA's at one time "hire" there own investigators from city/town PD's as investigators?