Detail rates

Discussion in 'Association & Union Business' started by woodyd, Jan 12, 2017.

1. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

Bloodhound and pahapoika like this.
  2. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

Harvard!?!? Crickets

3. felony

felony MassCops Member

I am assuming minimum rate is a town detail rate (DPW/HIGHWAY/ School etc.) the other is a private rate or possibly a private rate, on a holiday, with a strike or alcohol. I noticed a few towns with an inaccurate rate listed.

woodyd likes this.
  4. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

Agreed it's not the best info source (we are talking about Mass DOT here...), but it's a starting point. I noticed that the "max" rate is always 1.5 times the minimum, which is not always accurate. I know of depts that have double time for strikes, and at least one that's double time on Sunday. Not to mention different rates for patrol/supvs, night rate etc. It's possible that MassDOT won't pay more than 1.5 base rate, I know for instance they've been reluctant to hire a Sgt even when they hire 4 or more Patrolmen and the contract requires a supervisor.

felony and pahapoika like this.
  5. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

My old dept was told that they only pay the lower rate, so supervisors had to take the patrolman rate. However many still put in for the supervisor rate and still apparently got it

pahapoika and woodyd like this.
  6. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Too low, can't even make the cut. Many of those rates are wrong , I have actual figures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpd61 and woodyd like this.
  7. cbrad159

cbrad159 New Member

I know my dept, just went up to $62.50 for private details and is OT rate on city jobs.

woodyd likes this.
  8. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

You'll make a good selectman someday!!! LOL!:p

9. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Never Woody !!

mpd61 likes this.
  10. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

If it's from MassDot, I would bet it's ALL wrong. Those folks add and subtract using an abacus which has only 3 beads. The only agency in the state where the computer spell check actually can't spell. Half their file cabinets contain actual metal files. The other half, the shavings. They're convinced it's U.S. MALE and feel Mailman is redundant, and that word 'redundant' is believed to be from an exotic foreign language like Canadian.

11. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

One of those rates includes hourly rate plus admin fee of 10 percent even though mass dot never gets charged admin fee.

12. samadam78

samadam78 MassCops Member

Definitely not up to date ours is off by $6 on min rate and like $30 on max

13. felony

felony MassCops Member

When in negotiations for a higher detail rate, you get stuck with your comps and some surrounding towns anyway. I think we have a mega matrix flow chart with surrounding town detail rates somewhere.

14. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

mpd?

15. cbrad159

cbrad159 New Member

Yup!

RodneyFarva likes this.
  16. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

That's awesome for now in regards to your private details but as the rates go higher and higher we are eventually going to price ourselves out of the market. I kind of wish this would happen because in a fair world it would make it so that the towns would have to start giving us 10-20K raises to compensate for the loss of income. But in reality I know we would just get boned and get told to deal with it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Kilvinsky likes this.
  17. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

I see what you're saying but realistically I think it's a long way from details being priced out. Remember that the detail rate (what the Officer gets plus the town's 10%) is the "fully loaded" cost. The client pays exactly that amount.
    With flagmen, sure the hourly pay rate might be lower, but that's just the start. The flagmen will be union, so add in union health insurance, retirement, sick/vacation/personal, workmen's comp, unemployment insurance, administrative overhead for the company providing the flagmen, plus of course the company's profit margin, and I think you'd find that a flagman with a GED and a pulse would cost as much or more than a highly trained, competent Police Officer.

18. DeltaTango27

DeltaTango27 MassCops Member

Town of Gosnold 17.50????? good god time for a new union rep! To the above that's totally correct when Deval attempted to put flagmen in for details it winded up costing just about the same.

BlackandBlue and woodyd like this.
  19. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

I totally agree with what you. I'm saying that we can have good detail rates, let's just not get insane with it.

Although when I hear what some of the machine operators/laborers are making ($70-80 an hr) I guess I don't feel too bad about what we charge.

Goose, Kilvinsky and woodyd like this.
  20. MiamiVice

MiamiVice MassCops Member

Cuttyhunk island, no PD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

BlackandBlue likes this.
  21. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

22. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

whats up bud?

23. cbrad159

cbrad159 New Member

Nothing man, just figured I read a lot of this stuff might throw out my thoughts once and while.