Do pit bulls need a law of their own? (All Pit Bull News)

Discussion in 'Hot Topics' started by kwflatbed, May 3, 2007.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 91K+Poster

Idea of breed-specific measure stirs fierce debate

By Raja Mishra, Globe Staff | May 3, 2007

Lawmakers are exploring whether to push for a statewide ban on pit bulls, with some urban legislators saying Massachusetts needs to overhaul dog- control laws to reduce attacks by combative canines.
    The effort is the latest attempt to rein in perhaps the most controversial breed of dog, one that has become synonymous with urban dysfunction but is beloved by thousands of pet owners.
    In the past two months, pit bulls attacked Lynn police officers and mauled a 10-year-old boy in Taunton. Numerous Massachusetts towns have passed an array of local measures, with Canton legislators passing tough regulations this week limiting pit bull ownership.
    Animal rights advocates and some lawmakers said they oppose banning pit bulls or any other breed, argu ing that regulations should target careless and malicious dog owners, rather than their pets.
    "It so happens that pit bulls are the breed favored by those who like to raise dangerous dogs, but they're also great family pets," said Scott Giacoppo, deputy director of advocacy for the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
    Lawmakers on the Joint Committee on Municipalities and Regional Government, which will hold a hearing May 14 on potential new dog-control laws, were divided yesterday on banning pit bulls statewide. But several other proposals under consideration appear to have more support: providing guidelines for cities and towns to banish troublesome dogs; mandating license requirements for certain breeds; requiring training for owners of certain breeds; fining owners of noisy dogs; and seeking stricter leash laws.
    Word of a possible pit bull ban, which leaked earlier this week, has drawn considerable backlash from dog owners, veterinarians, and animal rights activists, who have flooded lawmakers with protests. At the heart of the issue is whether pit bulls -- several breeds of dog that include American pit bull terriers, American Staffordshire terriers, or Staffordshire bull terriers -- are inherently dangerous.
    The dogs were first bred in 17th-century England by crossing terriers and bulldogs and were often used in dog fights because of their strength. They were brought to the United States in the 1800s by Irish immigrants coming to Boston, then subjected to further breeding that gave rise to the American versions.

Full Story: http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/05/03/do_pit_bulls_need_a_law_of_their_own/
  2. REILEYDOG

REILEYDOG MassCops Member

Re: Do pit bulls need a law of their own?

A pit bull law would be about as effective as Massachusetts' wonderful gun control laws. Every citizen of the commonwealth would finally be safe from guns and pit bulls!
  3. DET59

DET59 Former Member

a waste of time and taxpayers dollars to put this on the books
  4. kttref

kttref MassCops Member

That is a waste of time and money. I will say again, "pitbulls" aren't always dangerous. It's the owners who don't know how to handle them that are the problem!
    Skip213 likes this.
  5. DET59

DET59 Former Member

amen kate, bad dogs are a result of bad owners
  6. SOT

SOT Thread Killa

Pitbulls are fighting dogs and hunting dogs. Pure and simple. to that end a law banning them would be a waste of time, who's going to enforce it? What's the threshold etc and so on?

These pitbull apologists are fooling themselves when they blame it purely on the owner. Sure there are a LOT of dumb pitbull owners, prolly most of them are very short on the IQ side of life, but at the end of the day I've seen excellent owners who've been mauled by their own "it's such a nice dog, pittbull".
    You shouldn't have to "know how to handle" a god damn pet. They shouldn't have to be treated like dynamite or radioactive material.
  7. dcs2244

dcs2244 Moderator Staff Member

I disagree SOT. Every person who wants a dog companion needs to ascertain what kind of dog is right for them. Some people just do not have what it takes to live with a pitbull or rottweiler. I'm a rottie guy myself and I know my limitations: that's why I do not have a jack russell. They are a great dog, but they are at "warp 9" 24-7. Rotties are more laid back...but stubborn as a mule. When you say "sit" to a lab, he says "okay" and he sits. When you say "sit" to a rottie, he says "make me.":cool:

Anyway, just as some people should never have pets, certain people should never live with particular breeds...

</IMG>
  8. BPD3352

BPD3352 MassCops Member

People who own pitbulls that bite and attack people are the same people whos 14 year old kids I arrest at 3 am and know and dont care that their kids were out. It all stems from bad parenting. Pitbull or Cocker Spaniel if its brought up right its a good dog!
  9. JeffC

JeffC MassCops Member

Ban them....they serve no purpose other than to kill. Im so goddam sick of selfish people who jeopardize others because they just HAVE to own a dam pitbull.
  10. John J

John J Subscribing Member

That is the most foolish statement I have ever heard. I have owned dogs for 30 years. I have had Pits, Rotties, German Shepherds and Golden Retreivers to name a few. Pits can be one of the most loyal dogs out there. I had a pit from the time I was 9 until I was about 18. That dog would have died for me. Granted some pits that are poorly bred will have aggression issues, but for the most part as long as you spend the time and effort to properly train the dog, it will be fine.
    Banning the entire breed is a door that we do not want to open. Breed Specific Legislation is the wrong way to go. First it is Pitbulls, then what? Probably rotties, dobermans, german shepherds....where will it end.
    You might as well go and join those morons from PETA.
  11. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

To paraphrase SOT, dynamite can be safe when handled correctly, but I'm not going to let my kids play around dynamite.

Pit bulls were bred to fight and kill other dogs. Since dogfighting is illegal, pray tell exactly what is the purpose of owning one these days?
  12. JoninNH

JoninNH MassCops Member

To prevent mail delivery?
  13. screamineagle

screamineagle Masscops Therapist

:L:
  14. REILEYDOG

REILEYDOG MassCops Member

Since dogfighting is illegal, pray tell exactly what is the purpose of owning one these days?[/quote]

So, everybody that owns a lab has to be a duck hunter, and everybody that owns a shepard must have a flock of sheep. Oh, and every Jack Russel owner that I know hunts fox.
  15. SOT

SOT Thread Killa

They are now crack house guard dogs.

I think really the point is, there are certainly dual uses for certain types of dogs. But when the primary purpose of a dog was a fighting dog, and there are no dogs to fight...what is the secondary benefit of the done...probably none.
    Labs, shepards, JR's all are also companion dogs and have been bread as such, to be very subservient to their masters (humans) yet do other things.
    Pit's were barely controllable back int he day and bread for fighting. Not a lot of secondary benefit there.

16. kttref

kttref MassCops Member

My God, you truly are an idiot. Have you EVER been around a pit bull? Because guess what, they are some of the most loyal dogs in the world. You are scared of them and hate them because you don't know them. Granted my pit is a mutt (She's AmStaff, Boston Terrier and we think a little lab), but she's loyal, she's a great watchdog, and she's friendly as all hell. But we have trained her and we watch her. Whenever their are children around or a new situation in general, we keep a close eye on her. So far, the only thing she has problems with are small dogs and cats. But you know what, we're ok with that. Some pit's are great with other dogs and cats...but you truly need to understand the breed and the owner before passing judgement.

So well said. You probably proved my point better than I did.
  17. SOT

SOT Thread Killa

DYN-O-MITE!
    As to understanding the breed, I deal with more pitbulls in a month than you will in your whole life. Your dog has problems with small dogs and cats....and at some point, if not closely guarded, she's going to have a problem with small kids and god help you for thinking you can mitigate generations of breeding by closely watching them.

The sole point is, they (and all domesticated animals) are a product of their breeding FIRST, and a product of their environment a close second. To that end (and why you can't understand this) pitbulls were bred to fight and hunt and kill animals that are much greater in size. Three to four pittbulls can easily kill a horse and they are not afraid of things that are much larger than them...not even humans.

Don't believe me, give a jingle to Dr. Dodman at Tuft's vet school he'll explain to you that certain breeds are prone to aggressiveness and that it just doesn't go away over night or in a couple generations.

Your natural love for your dog is understandable (and that may transfer to the breed), but it doesn't change the fact of the dog use, nor does your emotional approach to the dog mean that you've proven anything. So yeah I guess I'm an idiot for actually looking at the science, the breeding history, and what actual experts in the field say versus saying "I have a good doggie. Waaa Waaa Waaa You guys are mean."

Certainly some people shouldn't have pets, but the same people that shouldn't have pets might also be the people that think that generations of breeding can be mitigated by love and care and closely watching a pet.

The point is it's not what the pet will do when you are closely watching them that is at issue, it is what they will do when you are NOT closely watching them.

Just last week in Lanesboro, pitt bit it's owners son, kid had to go to the hospital, this is the second time in a year the dog was involved in an instance where it bit someone close to it, and last year it killed one of the other dogs it grew up with. "Ohhh it's a good dog", "It's normally so nice" yeah except for the two times it bit it's owners and sent them to the hospital or the one time it killed a companion dog.

Check out Eleanor Sonsini, how many pits there that came from "good homes" but they bit the kids or attacked their owner. Not really "bad dogs", just violent and unpredictable dogs...and that is the problem in a nutshell.

18. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Retrieving dead ducks, herding sheep, and barking at foxes poses no danger to humans. A bred, cultivated instinct to kill poses a great danger to humans.

Any unleashed pit bull that gets anywhere near me or my family will very quickly become a dead pit bull. I have no tolerance for people who choose to own a timebomb, and also subject me to that danger for good measure.
  19. mpdcam

mpdcam MassCops Member

What a dumb statement. Ignorant people talking about things they don't know about. My pit is the best dog I have ever had.

My mother's Shitzu bit my neice in the face. He got her pretty good too. Does this mean we are going to ban them too? The public and the media lve to gang up on pits, becaue shitheads in Dorchester and Roxbury have them. How come you never hear about other breeds biting people? Not as exciting in the news, thats why!
  20. screamineagle

screamineagle Masscops Therapist

as I have stated in previous threads, I am not a fan of pits. I strongly feel that as a responsible pet owner, it is MY resposibility to control my pet AT ALL TIMES. I have a pure bred east german shepherd. THey were originally bred to patrol the berlin wall. My dog is absolutely fantastic with EVERYONE, especially children. But this does not mean that I take my eyes off him for one second when kids are around. He is very well trained, answering to both voice and hand signals. THe ONLY problem we have had with him was when someone made a quick move towards my 5 year old daughter, and they received a warning growl. No lunging, no snapping, no attack, just a "you'd better rethink what your doing near my little girl" growl. When we have company over, Tucker is by my side and under control at all times. Doesnt matter if it is my kids friends or my father visiting.

When we went to insure our home, the insurance company gave us a "bad dog" list. it was dobies, rotties, pits, german shepherds, huskies, akitas dalmatians and "terriers". Yes, Terriers. They made no distinction between the different breeds of terriers, it just stated terriers.
  21. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 91K+Poster

Survivor of mauling sticks up for pit bulls
    By Colneth Smiley Jr.
    Friday, May 4, 2007 - Updated: 04:39 AM EST

Samantha Gaylord survived a vicious mauling by her own pit bull, fearing the dog would kill her, before cops managed to kill it.
    But even with 30 stitches, nerve damage and possible disfigurement, she is against the idea of a statewide ban now being mulled by lawmakers stunned by the viciousness of pit bull attacks.
    “I don’t think this isolated incident should make it that all dogs are horrible,” said Gaylord, a Harvard student, who survived 10 minutes of a ferocious attack from her 2-year-old pit bull, Leo, in her Haverhill home Tuesday.
    “I think it’s all about how your dog was raised,” said Gaylord, who speculates the attack was triggered by “a brain dysfunction or a tumor.”

[​IMG]

Samantha Gaylord of Haverhill displays the puncture wounds and stitches in her leg where her 2-year-old pit bull, Leo, attacked her. (Staff photo by Patrick Whittemore)

She had scheduled a dog trainer to evaluate Leo after he showed signs of aggression a month ago. During that evaluation, on Tuesday, Leo attacked, ripping flesh from her side, arm and calf.

“I was in complete shock,” said Gaylord, who raised Leo from a pup and escaped the assault by fighting him off and hiding in the bathroom - in a pool of her own blood - while the trainer ran and called for help.

“My dog was no longer my dog,” she said. “He was crazed. He kept on ramming his head through the door. I thought if he got in, he would kill me.”

The attack ended when a Haverhill cop killed the dog with a shotgun blast to the head through a French door pane.

“It doesn’t matter what breed the dog is, it’s better to teach people how to be more responsible,” said Mike Citro of Baystate K-9 Training in Middleton.

Citro, a trainer and breeder for 18 years, said the proposed ban would “only add more burden to the justice system, and cause more problems for the police. It’ll be like Prohibition.”

“Banning the breed will make the problem bigger. Teach the owner to control their dog, train the dog, and make it an asset to the neighborhood, rather than a liability,” he said.

Meanwhile, Gaylord said, “I kind of blamed myself.” She’s waiting for an autopsy to reveal if Leo had any medical problems.

“I never abused him, I loved my dog. I just don’t know why he did this.”

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=198493
  22. dcs2244

dcs2244 Moderator Staff Member

I did a quick search at ASK.com regarding dog bites: fatal and not fatal. The top three breeds for fatal dog-bites were Pitbulls, Rottweilers and German Shepards.

The statistics detailed "bites-per-breed" and did not adjust the stats for the relative size of the breeds population, i.e. number of breed specific dogs per general dog population.

If there are are more "bites-per-breed" it makes sense to ask how large the population of each breed is as a percentage of the general dog population. "Pitbulls" may have been bread for fighting...Rottweilers, as one of the original breeds were not: they were bread as cattle herders. So, too German Shepards were bread as sheep herders.

Anyway, what we need to know to discuss this topic intelligently is "bites per breed as a function of representation in the general dog population."

Turn to.
    :D
    </IMG>
  23. John J

John J Subscribing Member

So you will just kill some poor dog that accidently ran out the front door and happened to walk by you? You would kill it just because it is a pit? Another group did something similar but toward humans, you might remember them they were called NAZI'S.

There are more injuries caused by lawnmowers and snowblowers each year than caused by pits. So should we ban all lawn equipment? How about cars? Motorcycles? Airplanes? ............
  24. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Absolutely, positively, without a nanosecond of hesitation. My children aren't going to be disfigured because some selfish a-hole wants to let his hell hound run loose. I'm simply not taking that chance.

Dogs are not human.

Dogs are not inanimate objects.

Whoops!!! There goes the old "it's how they're raised argument!
  25. JoninNH

JoninNH MassCops Member

I stand with Delta.