Do pit bulls need a law of their own? (All Pit Bull News)

Discussion in 'Hot Topics' started by kwflatbed, May 3, 2007.

1. SOT

SOT Thread Killa

Re: Do pit bulls need a law of their own?

Tell that to the girl that solely owned a pit and who had it in class when it attacked her, pinned her in the bathroom, then ended up attacking police...and was shot to death.

The only thing a pit owning single family member household has over a multi-person household...less to clean up when the dog goes after its owner.

2. kttref

kttref MassCops Member

Cat Bites Dog, Owner Wants Leash Law for Kitties

After her pit bull was attacked by a neighborhood cat, a Sacramento dog owner is calling for an end to free-roaming felines.

Dawn Capp likes cats and dogs and has one of each. Her pets get along with each other. As far as other animals in the neighborhood, that's sometimes a different story.

Problems arose when her pit bull Tauri was in her backyard. An unknown cat came over the fence and bit Tauri on the face. Capp showed News10 the photos to prove it. "Right up there is a big red blotch," she said, pointing to a photo. "The blood was draining,"

The dog's wounds required $100 worth of veterinary care and antibiotics. Tauri is doing well now, and enjoyed a brisk game of Frisbee during News10's visit. However, her owner said it is not right that a wandering cat can be allowed to cause such mischief without any repercussions. "A cat comes into my backyard. When I let my dog go out to go to the bathroom, [it] attacks my dog and gets away scot free," said Capp. "I have no way knowing who the owner is. I get stuck with the vet bill."

"If this had been my dog that had attacked a cat, it would be all over the news," she added. "My dog would be in an animal control shelter now. I'd probably have a vicious dog citation after me."

In the city of Sacramento, a dog found roaming without owner, leash or license can be impounded by animal control. There are no similar regulations for cats. Animal Control's Hector Cazares thinks any attempt to restrict cats would be nearly impossible to enforce. "I just have a sense that the public would be totally opposed to trying to keep cats on leashes," he said.

Cazares says if a cat is being a destructive nuisance, such as digging up the yard to use as a litter box, peeved property owners can trap the animal and bring it to animal control.

Although cats are allowed to roam freely in most American cities and towns, some municipalities have approved "cat confinement," "cat leash," and, in some circumstances, even "trap and kill" ordinances.

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=15280
  3. SOT

SOT Thread Killa

When as many kittens attack, kill, and maim people, horses, other dogs as pits I'll be up for the same laws. One cat does not tens of thousands of vicious pits make.

Same goes for the pit itself...for every good owner and "good" dog...there's hundreds of bad owners and bad dogs...continually breeding the dog for what it was intended...a hunting and killing dog.

Well to do Pit Owner bred dogs for fighting
    SURRY, Va. (AP) -- A property owned by Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick was used as the "main staging area for housing and training the pit bulls involved" in an alleged dogfighting operation, according to court documents.

The papers, filed by federal authorities, give details for the first time about what authorities contend was a long-running dogfighting venture. Vick is not named in the documents.

On Friday, federal agents searched the property for a second time, using a backhoe to dig in an area about 10 feet wide by 20 feet wide. They finished their work at about 4:30 p.m. and declined to answer reporters' questions as they left.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/07/06/vick.ap/index.html?cnn=yes
  4. DeputyFife

DeputyFife Subscribing Member

Beverly pit bulls kill collie

Published: July 11, 2007 12:00 am [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Beverly pit bulls kill collie
    By Bruno Matarazzo Jr. , Staff writer
    Salem News

IPSWICH - Two pit bulls being watched by a local resident are accused of killing a collie, police said.

Police are not releasing any names of the dog's owners or handlers in the incident, which occurred at 1 p.m. today on Safford Street.

Sgt. Justin Daly said two pit bulls got loose from a caretaker, went across the street where a miniature collie was being walked by the owner.

"The pit bulls grabbed the collie, broke the leash from the owner and dragged it across the street," Daly said.

The animal control officer arrived on scene and immediately requested additional assistance from a police unit, Daly said.

By the time police arrived, the collie was dead and the two pit bulls were in the back of the animal control officer's truck.

The two pit bulls are now impounded in a shelter in town.

The dog's death remains under investigation by Ipswich police.

Daly said the person in charge of the pit bulls is not the owner. The pit bulls belong to someone in Beverly, he said.
  5. RCPD33

RCPD33 Subscribing Member

I watched several different news channels throughout the first half of the night that I worked the dispatch console. If you are quoting the newspaper exactly as it reads, they got it wrong, according to what all the tv stations reported (unless they got it wrong too). Now I personally do not like pitbulls in general, but have met a few really good ones. In most cases NOT ALL, they are nothing but another tool, status symbol or weapon for thugs and thug wannabe's alike.

According to all the news stations, the dog that was killed was tied up on a back porch, not being walked by it's owner. There were two sisters watching their kids play on a swingset in their yard (which wasn't totally closed in and probably would have prevented the final outcome) when the two dogs came from across the street. They were being kept at the owner's friend's automotive garage while he attended a funeral. They were not tied up at all and walked right out an overhead garage door while it was open. They were attracted to the direction of the children and the little dog nearby by the noises the kids were making most likely. The two sisters saw them approaching, called for and grabbed their kids and ran inside. By the time they got back outside, the two dogs were mauling the little corgi mix dog which was at that point apparently dead.

Yes this is another example of media (in this case the local paper) trying to put their own spin on things and not exactly getting the facts straight, which is wrong in itself. Bottom line, it's yet another pitbull attack no matter how much people want to protect the breed. We can go back and fourth all day on the good and bad, but in most cases, it's bad. Or at least that's how the media potrays it all, however not entirely without merit.
  6. BrickCop

BrickCop Subscribing Member

You anti- Pit Bull types cleraly don't understand the breed. Those Ipswich pits were merely playing with that Corgi; ripping out another dog's throat is their way of saying "let's be friends".
  7. kttref

kttref MassCops Member

Well said! haha
  8. DeputyFife

DeputyFife Subscribing Member

Published: 07/12/2007
    Pit bull ignored beating while killing family's collie
    By Steve Landwehr
    Staff writer

IPSWICH - Bob Carroll tried desperately to save his neighbors' miniature collie from an attacking pit bull Tuesday afternoon, but even bludgeoning the animal with a 4-foot carpenter's level couldn't break its death grip on the little dog.

"I'm still shaking from it," Carroll said yesterday of the experience. "It's an awful, awful thing."
    Dolly, the 12-year-old miniature collie, was killed at around 1 p.m. Tuesday when Sonny B, an unlicensed male pit bull, bolted from a kennel, raced across Safford Street and grabbed the miniature collie, which was leashed to its family's deck. Two young children who were on the deck were quickly ushered inside the house by their grandparents when the dog charged into the yard.
    "They did the right thing, they got the kids out of the way," Ipswich Deputy police Chief Gavin Keenan said.
    Dolly's owner, Sharon French, declined to be interviewed yesterday.
    The pit bull is in the custody of Ipswich Animal Control Officer Matt Antczak and will remain impounded until its fate is determined.
    Carroll, owner of the Trailer Connection on Safford Street, said he had agreed to mind Sonny B at his shop while family friend Mike Stelline, 18, of Beverly attended his great-grandmother's funeral.
    Things turned ugly when he decided to give the pit bull some water. "As soon as I opened the gate, he bolted out," Carroll said. "I almost had a heart attack chasing him."
    With Sonny B was an 8-month-old female pit bull, Nemesis, also unlicensed. Carroll said he was able to close the kennel gate before the younger dog could escape, but Antczak said both dogs got away from Carroll, although only Sonny B was involved in the attack.
    Antczak was called to the scene but was unable to separate the dogs before Dolly was killed. He has charged Carroll with two violations of the town's leash law. Each violation carries a $25 fine.
    There is no telephone listing for Stelline in Beverly, and Ipswich police would not confirm that Stelline owns the pit bulls.
    "There is some confusion about the ownership," Keenan said.
    Under state law, the animal control officer must determine whether the pit bulls are dangerous and then advise the owners of his recommendation, which could include putting the dogs down. If that's Antczak's decision and the owner disagrees, he can petition the selectmen, who would hold a hearing to decide whether they agree with Antczak.

If they do, the owner could still appeal through the courts. The next scheduled selectmen's meeting is July 23.
    Antczak said yesterday he is continuing his investigation.
    "It's just sad all the way around," he said.
    Carroll was befuddled by the pit bulls' behavior.
    "They're people-friendly," he said of the pair. "They'll lap you to death. I guess I never saw that side of them before."

Pit bulls attack, kill local dog

By Andrea Bulfinch/abulfin@cnc.com
    GateHouse News Service
    Wed Jul 11, 2007, 03:19 PM EDT

Ipswich -
    A fatal attack by two pit bulls on another dog yesterday afternoon is still under investigation by police.
    At 12:51 p.m. police were notified of the attack, which took place on Safford Street. According to Police Chief Gavin Keenan, the two dogs were allegedly under the care of Robert A. Carroll at his 9 B Safford St. business, The Trailer Hitch. The dogs, who were not leashed, left the location and attacked a small collie mix that was confined in its owners yard at 14 Safford St.
    Animal Control Officer Matt Antczak was the first to arrive on the scene where the collie had already been killed.
    "He did a real good job preventing any more mayhem," Keenan said of Antczak's effort to control the situation.
    The owners of the two pit bulls, 8 months and 1 year in age, reside in Beverly. It is undetermined who owns which dog at this point; they are from the same family but have separate owners.
    Antczak said the dogs and their owners will go before the Board of Selectmen, which will determine the fate of the animals. Usually, he said, a dog that kills another is euthanized. The date of their meeting is unknown at this time.
    Antczak said it's important to understand that pit bulls are not necessarily more likely to attack than another breed of dog.
    "Any dog has the tendency to bite and kill," he said.
    He emphasized that leash laws are in place for this reason.
    The pit bulls are being held at the dog pound and will remain there until they go before the selectmen.
  9. Inspector

Inspector Subscribing Member

CARROLLTON, Ga. -- A 5-year-old girl was killed by a dog in Carrollton Thursday, sheriff's deputies said.Tiffany Pauley was reported missing just after 11 a.m. The body was found by neighbors around 1:30 p.m. at a house on Cypress Circle, a few doors down from where Pauley lived, deputies said.Pauley, who suffered from Down syndrome, was attacked by a rottweiler that was chained, deputies said.
    Patricia Cook, the dog owner's mother, said the dog's owner was the one who found the child in the back yard of his house."He is torn up because he found the child out there laying in the back yard," Cook said. "The child didn't have clothes or anything on. The child was just laying there."Animal control officers have taken control of the dog as well as a pit bull and a German shepherd also staying at the home

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any dog can be angry.
  10. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Not any dog is capable of killing a human.
  11. SOT

SOT Thread Killa

A pit I took into custody today.

[​IMG]
  12. DANIPD

DANIPD Subscribing Member

Published: 07/13/2007
    Pit bull ripped dog out of woman's arms before killing it
    [​IMG]
    Kristen Olson/Staff photo - Sharon French and her sister Donna Saulnier hold a photo of their family dog, Dolly Parton, who was killed on Tuesday after two pit bulls attacked her. The family buried Dolly in the backyard, placing a rose over it.

By Steve Landwehr
    Staff writer

IPSWICH - Sharon French is still mourning the loss of her beloved dog, but she's convinced the pit bulls that attacked it Tuesday afternoon really had their sights set on something far more precious.
    "They were coming for the kids," she said.
    In an interview on the deck where her dog, Dolly Parton, was killed, French yesterday vividly described the attack that could result in the pit bulls being put down, a decision their owner says he would fight.
    French and neighbors say the dogs frequently roam free, contradicting the claims of their caretaker, who said their attack Tuesday happened only because they escaped from their cages when he tried to give them water.

French and her sister, Donna Saulnier, share a home on Safford Street in Ipswich. Tuesdays are play dates for French's granddaughter Samantha, 8, and Saulnier's granddaughter Briana, 6.
    The two girls spent the morning in the yard, tossing a Frisbee, swinging on the swing set and playing games. At just before 1 p.m., Saulnier was shocked to see two pit bulls tearing across the street toward her.
    "I screamed, 'Get the kids in the house ... pit bulls,'" Saulnier recalled yesterday. The two women herded the girls to safety, and Saulnier scooped up the family's 12-year-old Welsh corgi-cocker spaniel mix.
    The dog had been sound asleep and was leashed to the deck. Saulnier was trying to get the leash off when one of the pit bulls leapt up and tore the little dog from her arms, drove it to the deck and ripped its throat out. "She was killed instantly," French said. "She never knew what hit her."
    The other pit bull had the corgi by its hind legs, and the two were trying to rip the dog in half, French said.
    "That's something you never, ever want to see," Saulnier said.
    Both of the girls witnessed the attack from inside the house.
    French tried to intercede and grabbed a club to beat the attacking dog, but what happened then frightened her into inaction.
    "He (the pit bull) looked up at me, his face was covered in blood, and he bared his teeth at me and growled," French said. "I was too scared to hit him."
    As traumatizing as the attack was, the sisters agree it could have been worse. They're convinced the pit bulls did not initially target Dolly. She hadn't been barking and in fact had been sleeping for more than an hour.

"There's no way they could see her from over there," French said. "No one will ever convince me they weren't coming to rip those kids apart," and Dolly was just unlucky enough to be out on the deck. "They wanted to kill something."
    After killing Dolly, the pit bull picked her up in his mouth and carried her back across the street. He stood over the dead animal, blood dripping from his face, daring anyone to take the dog from him, French said.
    Ipswich Animal Control Officer Matt Antczak arrived at the scene and immediately called for police backup, fearing the dogs might have to be shot. However, he was able to use a long pole with a noose on the end of it to finally wrestle both dogs into his truck.
    "They don't pay him enough money," French said.
    Out of control
    The pit bulls, Sonny B, 7 years old, and Nemesis, 8 months, are owned by Michael Stelline Jr. of Beverly. He gave the dogs to his former employer, Bob Carroll, on Tuesday so he could attend his great-grandmother's funeral. He blamed Carroll yesterday for the entire incident.
    Carroll said Wednesday the dogs bolted from a kennel when he opened the door to give them water. But Stelline said Carroll was explicitly told not to let the dogs out of their crates under any circumstance and had actually opened the door to let them out to be chained to a run.
    "He should have listened to what I told him," Stelline, 18, said. "None of this would have happened."
    Stelline said neither of his dogs had ever been involved in an attack before.
    According to witnesses, Carroll had actually allowed the dogs to run free all day. Butch Taves, who owns an auto repair shop in the same building as Carroll, told police Tuesday he had seen the dogs several times that morning. Amber Hammett, who works in a company located above Carroll's The Trailer Connection, said she saw the dogs roaming, as well.
    What's more, Hammett said Stelline had the dogs over several times in the past week and a half, and she never saw them on a leash.
    Stelline denied the dogs were ever at Carroll's shop without a leash, but Hammett said she became very concerned about the free-ranging dogs because she has a 4-year-old she sometimes brings to work.
    A former pit bull owner herself, she has strong opinions about the breed.
    "They're very aggressive, dangerous dogs," Hammett said. "They have to be leashed at all times."

Carroll claims that he chased after the dogs as soon as they escaped, but Hammett said he was working inside his shop and didn't even know what was going on until someone ran in and told him.
    Saulnier and French also contradicted Carroll's claim he was right behind the dogs. While the attack was underway, Saulnier ran into the street to try to get Carroll's attention.
    "I screamed, 'Bob! Your dogs are killing my sister's dog!' at least five times," Saulnier said.
    "He was not right behind those two pit bulls," French said.
    Carroll said yesterday he thought one of the dogs ran behind his shop after escaping, and he followed in that direction before being called to the scene of the attack.
    "I did everything I could to help that dog," Carroll said.
    Crime and punishment
    The pit bulls will remain caged and in Antczak's custody until he determines their fate. He could order the dogs euthanized, and if he does, Stelline said he'll appeal the decision.
    Asked if he had any concern the dogs might stage another attack someday, Stelline was adamant.
    "No. They're under my control whenever they're with me and when I leave them, they're in their cages." He repeated that as far as he is concerned, Carroll has sole responsibility for the tragedy.
    French and Saulnier plan to insist the dogs be put down.
    "These two dogs are no good," French said.
    A hearing before the town's selectmen is tentatively scheduled July 23.
    Dolly was buried behind a shed in her backyard under a small pile of dirt, a flower - now wilting - placed atop it by Saulnier's granddaughter.
    Both little girls are still shaken. French said her granddaughter, Samantha, is afraid to come back to visit and, when she does, doesn't want to go outside.
    "She told her dad she had a dream that the bad killer dog was coming to kill her just like he killed Dolly," French said.
    Stelline could be charged with violating a town bylaw that punishes owners whose dogs kill either a deer or a domestic animal. There is a $100 fine for the offense. Carroll has already been charged with violating the town's leash law and will have to pay a $50 fine.
    That's hardly punishment enough for French.
    "He should be charged with child endangerment," she said.
    There was some consolation for French yesterday.

Most Tuesdays, she baby-sits her 10-month-old granddaughter. She would have been in a bassinet at the foot of the steps on the deck, French said.
    "We could never have gotten to her in time."
  13. kttref

kttref MassCops Member

What the hell is that thing????? Trust me that ain't no pit!!!!

This is a pit:
    [​IMG]
  14. BrickCop

BrickCop Subscribing Member

Just when you think the Pit Bull horror stories couldn't possibly get any worse...

Lockport, NY, July 10, 2007) - - We want to warn you that our top story is both bizarre and deeply disturbing. Police are investigating an apparent sexual attack by a family pit bull on a two-year-old boy in Lockport. The boy is at Women and Children's Hospital. News 4's Lorey Schultz reports.
    This two-year-old pit bull shows no signs of aggression, but it did on Sunday when it apparently sodomized a Lockport toddler.
    Residents who live in the neighborhood where it happened are still talking about it.
    One neighbor said, "You hear about dogs attacking children in horror films, but as far as in this community, it's never happened."
    Police say the boy was sexually assaulted in his Washburn Street home by his family's two-year-old pit bull, who had been with them since it was a puppy.
    Lockport Police Detective Captain Larry Eggert said, "A little boy was home with his family, and the family pit bull actually sodomized the boy."
    Eggert told us the boy's family members and neighbors had to beat the dog to get it off the child.
    Schultz: How serious are the child's injuries?
    Eggert: He's had some surgeries to repair some pretty significant damage.
    Animal advocates agree that this case is an unusual one. While pit bulls are notorious for being aggressive, they say it's not always true.
    Al Chille is executive director of the SPCA in Niagara County.
    Chille said, "I, personally, am against this idea of outlawing any specific breed of animal."
    Schultz: What would trigger a family pet dog to attack like this?
    Chille: One doesn't know, really. ... There could be some quirk in the brain of the dog. ... It could be the smell of the diaper or something. I don't know.
    Police are bringing in a behavioral expert to help determine what triggered the sexual assault.
    The boy's family wants the dog destroyed, but nothing will be done until the investigation is completed.
    Chille said, "The intent, apparently, wasn't to hurt the child. ... My understanding is the child had no bites on him at all. ... I guess the message is be respectful of a dog, until you absolutely know the animal."
    [​IMG]
  15. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Three words that should NEVER go together.

Gee.....where have we heard that before?

"My pit bull is different, he's been loved his whole life, we raised him from a puppy, he'd never hurt anyone, he's always playing with my children"......blah, blah, blah.

Mr. Chille....it's a fucking pit bull. That's what they do.

Much easier solution....take dog and 12-gauge shotgun out to rear of animal shelter. Only the shotgun comes back.

Anyone else notice that as these horrific stories keep coming out in this thread, the pit bull apologists are suddenly silent?
  16. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 91K+Poster

17. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 91K+Poster

Dog Attack Seriously Injures Woman In Revere

(WBZ) REVERE A woman is suffering from serious injuries after she was attacked by a rottweiler on her way to work early Saturday morning.

According to police in Revere, the woman was walking near 33 Sagamore Street when the attack occurred. Police say when they arrived on the scene, they were forced to kill the dog.

Although the woman's injuries are serious, officials say they are not life-threatening.

http://wbztv.com/topstories/local_story_195112717.html

Two Rottweilers attack Revere woman

[​IMG]
    REVERE, Mass. - Police were forced to kill a Rottweiler when it wouldn't let go of a woman.
    A police officer came across a woman on Sagamore Street being attacked by two Rottweilers. The dogs continued their attack even with the police presence around them.
    It forced the officer to shoot one of the Rottweilers to death.
    A neighbor also tried unsuccessfully to help the woman.
    The woman was rushed to the hospital with serious bite wounds. The second dog involved in the attack is locked up in a kennel behind its owner's home.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO57366/
  18. jettsixx

jettsixx Had enough

The only reason I havent posted any thing is because Its just not worth trying to educate closed minded people its just too frustrating. Does anyone wonder why a child with down syndrome is wandering around the neighborhood unsupervised where were the parents? I believe that article said the Rottie was chained up in his own yard. I personally feel the dog owner was irresponsible also. I dont believe a dog should be just chained up in the back yard and forgotten about. Dogs need excercise and discipline. when they are just chained up and left they store up all that energy until one day it just explodes. They should be walked and excersised every day.
  19. kttref

kttref MassCops Member

Yeah...I've given up on supporting my cause. I know my dog rules...but I treat her like a dog...because that is what she is. Difference is, we are responsible dog owners, not asses.
  20. screamineagle

screamineagle Masscops Therapist

lets not ban all dogs, just Kates. hehe :mrgreen:
  21. Home Wood

Home Wood MassCops Member

I see problematic pit bulls in the hands of thugs and pit bulls as loving house pets in the hands of caring and responsible people. Thugs get them for a status symbol and nothing more and other people get them for the love of the breed. Go to any bad part of town and the choice of dog is a pit bull or pit bull mix, 9 out of 10. I like pit bulls, but maybe to own one you should have to have a permit. You would have to apply and get a house inspection done or something before you could own one. Then again, laws and locks are for honest people.
  22. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

Does anyone wonder why a child with down syndrome is wandering around the neighborhood unsupervised where were the parents?
    ...anyone doubt that the mother(yes, Im assuming) was busy with important things like chatting/texting on her cellphone or sleeping
  23. kttref

kttref MassCops Member

You love to fight with me, don't you??? :argue:
  24. screamineagle

screamineagle Masscops Therapist

is it that obvious? lmao
  25. kttref

kttref MassCops Member

Yes...it is dear....