Does Mass ACCEPT California Academies? For example LAPD, LASD, etc?

Discussion in 'Massachusetts Employment' started by MTA2010, Jan 11, 2012.

1. MTA2010

MTA2010 MassCops Member

If I graduate from a police academy in California and want to transfer to say Boston PD, Quincy, Cambridge or any city/town in Massachusetts will they accept it? Basically can I lateral?

2. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

I know some out of state ones they will take however you would still need to take part of the MA academy that covers laws relative to MA.

3. MTA2010

MTA2010 MassCops Member

Thanks for your reply. I assumed I would have to take classes that deal with Mass laws but wasn't sure if I would have to do the whole entire academy all over again. Thanks again.

4. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

MTA, where in California do you work? I'm here too.

5. MTA2010

MTA2010 MassCops Member

I have yet to start the academy. Born and raised in MA and would like to eventually lateral back to mass in the near future. Was curious if they accepted a california academy which is 26 weeks long,

LA Copper which agency are you with, you can PM if you'd like.

6. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

7. Macop

Macop Subscribing Member

The best advice, STAY in CA, or dont come to MASS!

MTA2010 likes this.
  8. MTA2010

MTA2010 MassCops Member

I'm pretty familiar with the process, I took the civil service exam back in April and scored a 99 but I am still like number 8,382 to get on Boston or any of the other places I put down on the application lol.

9. cousteau

cousteau MassCops Member

Keep in mind this is Massachusetts. A haven for political egos and corruption. If you want any chance of getting an exemption letter, you will have to start kissing some serious ass and stroking some egos; or other things. So what I'm saying is it is not worth selling your soul to work here. I was lucky in my opinion to get my job. In a city where "who you know" makes a world of difference, I had no political hook, and I am not a veteran. Obviously I made the grade and was in the right place at the right time, which I am grateful for. Make sure you look around. If you work in one place for a while, transferring elsewhere will often start you at ground zero, especially if you move to another state. Good luck. It may take some time.

10. MTA2010

MTA2010 MassCops Member

I understand. I am one of those that doesn't know anyone or have a hookup. I also understand Mass is one of the hardest states to become a police officer in. I tried testing in NH, VT, RI and non civil service towns only to get beat by others who were former police officers or are already academy trained. I understand why they would go down that route. I just like Boston, I like the area I grew up in and would like to have my career here eventually. Thanks for your help.

11. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Boston is a wasted pick unless you're a resident, or at least a veteran. Change your picks to very small, affluent municipalities, especially those which hire permanent-intermittent positions.....around here (greater Boston), Cohasset comes to mind. The rationale is that people who grow up in those types of communities tend to have higher aspirations that to be a cop, which thins-out the resident competition.

MTA2010 likes this.
  12. FordMustang

FordMustang MassCops Member

An academy alone will not get you a waiver from the MPTC. They require an equivalent academy and I believe 3 years of experience. I know first hand. I applied for a waiver with my out of state academy (Florida 790 hours long). MPTC said the academy and my training was sufficient, but that I lacked the years of experience (only had 2) required for the waiver.

Your academy should waiver you to get SSPO powers, but working as a SSPO won't contribute to the experience requirement either, once again I know first hand because I tried to get waivered again after working as a SSPO for an additional 2 years.

MTA2010 likes this.
  13. LA Copper

You'll need to complete the academy and then complete your probation in order to obtain your Basic POST certificate. It won't count unless you do both.

As for who I work for, check out my screen name, it's pretty easy to figure out.

14. lofu

lofu Subscribing Member

Haven't quite made detective at your California Agency, have you?

MTA2010 and Delta784 like this.
  15. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

[quote="LA Copper, post: 650147, member: 1514"
    As for who I work for, check out my screen name, it's pretty easy to figure out.[/quote]

http://www.losalamitospolice.org/ ??

16. MTA2010

MTA2010 MassCops Member

Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate it.

17. LA Copper

Exactly!, Y'all got it!

LECSniper likes this.
  18. cousteau

cousteau MassCops Member

There was a regional exam I took quite a while back which covered several communities in southern NH and ME. It was given at Macintosh College. I think that was in Dover, NH. It was around the time I was taking civil service in MA. After accepting my current position in MA, I began to get offers from several decent towns/cities in NH to further the selection process. I think it may have been called the ALERT test. Look into that.

19. gm7988

gm7988 MassCops Member

20. cousteau

cousteau MassCops Member

Looks the same. Different name and place years ago.

21. MTA2010

MTA2010 MassCops Member

Thanks cousteau. gm7988 is right, same idea but the exam is now taken at great bay community college. That was a great exam, I got called by several NH cities and towns to come in and take the written and physical agility tests from that one exam alone when I took it last year.

22. gm7988

gm7988 MassCops Member

wait you take that written and get called in by a pd to take another written? that doesn't make sense.

23. MTA2010

MTA2010 MassCops Member

Not exactly, what I should have said was that some of the departments that I got called in to do PAT's for, some required essays to complete before taking your PAT.

gm7988 likes this.
  24. gm7988

gm7988 MassCops Member

makes more sense.

25. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

Yes, MA does accept CA academies, and the equivalency process is pretty smooth and easy. I just did it myself...I had several years at a big city PD in CA and came back to MA for family. They accepted my CA academy with no problems. So to answer the OP's question, yes you can do it.