DOJ Federal Corrections Officer

Discussion in 'Federal Agencies' started by FutureBosnianOfficer, Oct 15, 2015.

1. FutureBosnianOfficer

FutureBosnianOfficer MassCops Member

I was wondering if anyone has any info on the DOJ corrections position? Is it better or worse than the MA DOC? Just put in my application so wanted to see what I would be in for if extended the position?

2. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

Wow! mildly vague and ambiguous question... The Bureau of Prisons Corrections Officer position is arguably "better" than the Commonwealth DOC in one narrow focus; Career diversity. You are covered under federal L.E. retirement (6C) pay into social security and TSP, and can tranfer all over the United States! When you make GL-07 grade, you then can transfer easier over to other fed agencies into 7/9/11 positions. Their academy is in Glynco, GA and only three short weeks. Other than that they are both professional CO positions with union protections.........Then again, what the hell do I know?o_O

Tuna likes this.
  3. FutureBosnianOfficer

FutureBosnianOfficer MassCops Member

Haha sorry! I didn't know how or what to ask because I have so many questions in my head so the vague questions was best. But thank you very much, I haven't heard much about them other than the job description so just wanted to see what the experts know.

Woulds be a nice starter job that gets my foot in the door then transfer over. We shall see how it goes!

4. ecpd402

ecpd402 Subscribing Member

people I talked to that are now in us marshal or other fed law enforcement started at the FBP. some are still there and enjoy it minus the suit uniform they wear. yes its a blazer and slacks

5. TacEntry

TacEntry MassCops Member

The white shirt/maroon tie/gray polyester slacks/ blazer went away as the primary CO uniform back around 2007.

BOP CO's wear a much better light blue police style shirt with embroidered seal and American flag as well as navy 5.11 type pants. There is an optional light blue short and long sleeve polo.

Goose and mpd61 like this.
  6. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Working for the clampdown

HATS! What about the hats?

Goose and zm88 like this.
  7. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Only talked with the guys out of Devens a couple times, but the pay was not that great if i remember and they have non union part-timers taking away their O/T

Would not recomend a corrections career, but Mass. DOC is group 4 and the pay is better. So if you still had aspirations of getting on the Fire/PD locally it might make a better choice.

Goose and mpd61 like this.
  8. mpd61

Federal 6C retirement IS the golden goose (compared to even Group 4 state) Only if you're certain you won't leave Mass and certain you'll be able to get on a Group 4 retirement gig, would I agree with your assertions. Still don't know why you think the pay is not that great either...

9. pahapoika

We were comparing hourly wage. At the time DOC was close to $30.

Thought we had them beat by a few dollars. Then again anything right now is good compared to the private sector :eek: ( unless maybe a union tradesmen )

10. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Conveys Chapter 90 authoritayy....

11. ecpd402

ecpd402 Subscribing Member

no one asked about badges ????

12. pahapoika

I don't think C/O's get badges anymore. Think it's all embroidered now on your shirt.

13. mrcooley

mrcooley New Member

AZ DOC get metal badges.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

14. mrcooley

mrcooley New Member

Does anyone know how long it may take for an offer for employment to be extended to a potential candidate for BOP after the panel interview?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

15. The617Viet

The617Viet Red Striper

I applied in 2013 along with TSA. TSA Hired me, and I still have yet to hear from BOP

16. Patr8726

Patr8726 MassCops Member

mpd61 is right, it puts you into the best federal retirement system. What he forgot to mention is that it gives you "status" in applying to other jobs only open to current feds, like a lot of the VA hospital & DOD police jobs you see. Work there 3 years and you have that status for life. Little known fact, when fed jobs are open to "status candidates" only, veteran's preference doesn't count, so you can play on a level field.

Pay at Devens ranges between $43,000-$62,000 for an officer (with 2 years in, your base pay is $52,000). With promotions you can make more than that. Plus 10% night diff and 25% Sunday diff. Plenty of OT available at most places too.

Better than DOC? The retirement is much more portable, you have statutory arrest authority so you have LEOSA. It's still corrections though. Expect to spend every day sitting in a housing unit. Management leaves a LOT to be desired. But hey, you can just apply directly to them whenever you want. No civil service waiting list for jobs, but you still have federal civil service job protections.

17. Jamescosta

Jamescosta MassCops Member

With the new contract, it looks like CO's in the doc will max out at around 87-89k in 2016. Not bad coin.

18. Patr8726

Patr8726 MassCops Member

I didn't realize DOC paid that well. A maxed out Lieutenant in the BOP has a base pay of $83k.

19. Jamescosta

Why is 6c the golden goose? I'm not that familiar with the federal retirement system but I was under the impression they received 1.7% of their salary per year of service, while group 4 is 2.5%. That's a significant difference, but maybe SS makes up the difference?

20. Jamescosta

Well that would be after the 2%, 3.75%, and 3.75% raises until July of 2016 take effect. It probably includes shift dif/education as well.

21. Patr8726

Patr8726 MassCops Member

FERS is, you can also contribute to the TSP. It's like a 401k with much much lower maintenance fees. But 6c is gold because most special agent jobs (and many other fed LE jobs) have a max hiring age of 37, mandatory retirement at 57, because you need 20 years 6c. You can retire with 25 years of service at any age, or 20 years at age 50. A 6c position "stops the clock." Your max hiring age is 37 + the number of years you were in a covered 6c position. The competition for most of the desirable 6c covered positions is ungodly, and can take a lot of time to get into one. Something about working bankers hours and making $130,000 a year is desirable. Getting into a 6c position buys you time to get another one down the road though. So if you do 3 years with BOP fresh out of college, your max hiring age for any other 6c position is 40 instead of 37. That matters when you're chasing down an 1811 special agent position somewhere in your 30's.

mpd61 and FutureBosnianOfficer like this.
  22. mpd61

makes up more than the difference.........Just like Patr8726 said. Fed6C + SocSec smokes Group 4

23. Patr8726

Patr8726 MassCops Member

Correct. Under 6c rules when you retire you get FERS annuity, TSP, and a Social Security Supplement. If you manage your money right, it's a nice payout. Considering that the agency matches the 1st 5% of what you contribute to the TSP, you can really get that number high. The difference is that most retirement systems consist of the pension only, under FERS it's 3 tier.

Something I forgot to mention about BOP specifically, you can't hold any other LE related employment while an employee of BOP. No auxiliary, reserve, PT gig, even unpaid. For those who want to get out of corrections, that's a big disadvantage. I know with DOC you can work something on the side.

24. TacEntry

TacEntry MassCops Member

BOP is pretty tough to promote beyond the Journeyman Officer (GL-7) unless you are willing to move. The step increases are okay - but they slow down after approx 5 years.

If you are willing to move - there are about 120 Federal Prisons of varying security levels nationwide. That is usually the fastest way to GL-9 and GL-11 (both LT positions) as an officer. There are also non-custody (maintenance, medical, education etc) jobs in the BOP that pay higher- but are all under the same 6c retirement.

mpd61 likes this.
  25. Patr8726

Patr8726 MassCops Member

Most people of any job description in BOP move for every single grade increase/promotion. Many even move to get a more desirable position that doesn't pay more, but has a better schedule, etc. Sometimes BOP will finance all the expenses associated with moving, sometimes not.

Overall I don't think it's a terrible place to get a foot in the door. But it's far from a dream job in LE.

pahapoika likes this.