Dying man pickets Spirit Airlines over refund policy

Discussion in 'National' started by HistoryHound, Apr 26, 2012.

1. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

http://www.tampabay.com/news/dying-man-pickets-spirit-airlines-over-refund-policy/1226671

This is disgraceful. I understand they have a policy and they do it to keep fares low, but how about using a little common sense and having some compassion. I'm Mr. Meekins would much rather take the trip he planned on taking to see his daughter. The idiots at Spirit should use discretion and common sense and understand that this is an extraordinary circumstance. I really hope that they find themselves in a situation where someone could use a little discretion and give them a break, but instead sticks hard and fast to the letter of the law.
    cc3915 and LGriffin like this.
  2. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 90K+Poster

3. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

I've never even heard of this airline till now. I think I will be avoiding them.
  4. kwflatbed

5. kwflatbed

• [​IMG]
    Dying Vietnam veteran Jerry Meekins is getting his money back from Spirit Airlines' tightfisted boss after all.
    After a week of criticism from veterans around the nation, Spirit CEO Ben Baldanza issued a statement Friday afternoon saying he would personally refund Meekins' $197 airfare, and that the discount carrier would make a $5,000 donation to the Wounded Warrior Project.
    "He called me personally, and I'm going to take him at his word," Meekins told FoxNews.com. "He was apologetic and said he'd made a mistake."
    The move was a sharp reversal for Baldanza, who as recently as Thursday had stubbornly refused to refund the cancer-stricken Marine's money, even though Meekins' doctor told him he could not fly.
    "Sometimes we make mistakes," Baldanza said. "In my statements regarding Mr. Meekins’ request for a refund, I failed to explain why our policy on refunds makes Spirit Airlines the only affordable choice for so many travelers, and I did not demonstrate the respect or the compassion that I should have, given his medical condition and his service to our country.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/04/spirit-caves-airline-boss-refunds-dying-vet-fare/?test=latestnews#ixzz1tzuQDviM
    7costanza, HistoryHound and LGriffin like this.
  6. lofu

lofu Subscribing Member

And the free market does exactly what it's supposed to do yet again. Just like BOA and Susan G. Komen this is another example of the Govt staying out of business and the market working out the problem.
  7. Marks72

Marks72 Appreciative Member

The guy's a fucking snake. Reason for refund.... losing millions do to bad publicity, and shareholder/partner pressure. Not because he suddenly feels for Meekins. Typical corporate POS.
  8. LawMan3

LawMan3 Moderator Staff Member

Well, I guess this means I'm not getting my $168 back that I bought a voucher with. F'n sleazeballs.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20120505/NEWS/105059980/1116

WORCESTER — The defunct charter service Direct Air filed its required financial statements in U.S. Bankruptcy Court this week, revealing for the first time a detailed picture of the fiscal mess that drove the company out of business.

Direct Air reported just $229,030 in assets including the value of a surety bond held by the company compared to a whopping $46.5 million owed to creditors — largely passengers left holding unusable tickets.
    “That means the unsecured, non-priority creditors aren't going to get a dime as a general matter,” said Worcester bankruptcy lawyer James P. Ehrhard, who is not involved in the case.
  9. sdb29

sdb29 MassCops Member

I flew on Spirit once. The aircraft was older than I am and parts of the cabin had been painted with a brush.
    Never again.
    Delta784 likes this.
  10. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Business Management 101: If you think advertising is expensive, try bad publicity.

That actually is from Business 101, I took it as an open elective.
  11. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

I believe that's presented right before "a happy customer will tell their friends, an unhappy customer will tell everyone they've ever met."