Quantcast

Facebook Photo Of Plymouth Woman At Tomb Of The Unknowns Sparks Outrage

Discussion in 'Military News' started by kwflatbed, Nov 20, 2012.

1. kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 88K+Poster

[IMG]

BOSTON (CBS) – Two women have been placed on unpaid leave from their jobs after their photo at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia angered thousands of people on Facebook.

Lindsey Stone was visiting the Tomb of the Unknowns last month on a business trip when she posed for a picture next to a sign that reads “silence and respect.”

In the photo, Stone is pretending to yell and she’s showing her middle finger.
    The photo, taken by a co-worker, went viral and sparked thousands of angry comments.

Some of those comments were posted on the Facebook page of their employer, Living Independently Forever, Inc.,(LIFE) a non-profit organization in Hyannis that helps adults with disabilities on Cape Cod.

The uproar forced the organization to post this statement Tuesday afternoon:

“On Nov. 19 at approximately 6 p.m., we became aware that one of our employees had posted an offensive, inappropriate photograph on her personal Facebook page. The photo was taken at a national historic site in October by a fellow employee during a trip to Washington, D.C. attended by 40 residents and eight staff. The photo has since been removed from Facebook, and both employees have been placed on unpaid leave pending the results of an internal investigation.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/11/...woman-at-tomb-of-the-unknowns-sparks-outrage/
  2. Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie

"I do what I want" fail...
    USMCMP5811, zm88, frank and 2 others like this.
  3. GMass Guest

Ohhhhh you dumb fucking cunt.
    USMCMP5811, USAF286, zm88 and 4 others like this.
  4. corsair Supporting Member

No respect :mad:
  5. Mr Scribbles Mr Scribbles44.blogspot.com

Probably voted for Obama too!
    GARDA and Marks72 like this.
  6. corsair Supporting Member

Yep I would not be surprise if there is an Obama/Biden bumper sticker and an Elizabeth Warren bumper sticker in the back of her car.
    frank, grn3charlie, Hush and 3 others like this.
  7. Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie

FIFY.
    USAF286, frank and Marks72 like this.
  8. skeet732 MassCops Member

Please let justice be served here, fire her fat, ugly ass the send her off to Iraq!!!!!!!
    Marks72 likes this.
  9. Marks72 Appreciative Member

Mindless fucking zombies.... It's sickening.
    USMCMP5811 and GARDA like this.
  10. justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :)

she was given a day off:mad:
  11. Delta784 Guest

When you do something to bring attention to yourself, not all that attention is going to be positive.
    USMCMP5811 and adroitcuffs like this.
  12. grn3charlie No! My teeth are real. See?

You are a sad, sad person. Insensitive and disrespectful. Skippy gHates just moved down one in the top three disgusting people because of you.
  13. GARDA Subscribing Member

I say Clockwork Orange her eyeballs while making her repeatedly watch
    "Arlington" by Trace Adkins until she either shits, pisses or vomits on herself.

a-clockwork-orange-malcolm-mcdowell22.jpg

USMCMP5811, PBC FL Cop, OCKS and 2 others like this.
  14. justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :)

anyone want to bet her and her turd friends are laughing about all this:mad:
  15. mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

Dumb Broads!
  16. Delta784 Guest

Oh, I don't think so, not now. Maybe when it was just a FB photo, but now people want to lynch her.
    mtc and lofu like this.
  17. lofu Subscribing Member

Almost worse than the photo is that there are a good number of people defending her on Facebook and comment sections.

If you defend her by using the 1st Amendment, you are an idiot. The Bill of Rights protects you from being prosecuted for free speech but does not prevent you from being held accountable for your actions.

Similar to my previous job. Even though the 2nd Amendment says I can keep and bear arms, my employer expressly prohibited me from carrying at work.
  18. justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :)

An apology from Lindsey Stone:
    "We sincerely apologize for all the pain we have caused by posting the picture we took in Washington DC on Facebook. While posted on a public forum, the picture was intended only for our own amusement. We never meant any disrespect to any of the people nationwide who have served this country and defended our freedom so valiantly. It
    was meant merely as a visual pun, intending to depict the exact opposite of what the sign said, and had absolutely nothing to do with the location it was taken or the people represented there. We never meant to cause any harm or disrespect to anyone, particularly our men and women in uniform. We realize it was in incredibly poor taste, and are deeply sorry for the offense we have caused.

We also sincerely apologize to LIFE, Inc. It is an amazing organization that provides invaluable services to adults with learning and developmental disabilities. We are beyond remorseful that our actions have caused them such undue public scrutiny. The disrespect implied by our picture has nothing at all to do with LIFE’s mission statement or values. We regret having caused any suffering to the staff members, residents, families and friends.

Again, we very sincerely apologize to everyone who took offense to the photo. We realize that it was an ignorant and distasteful thing for us to do, but we truly meant no harm. We are deeply sorry."
    Bitch is just sorry she was caught, apparently in her world its ok to disrespect fallen heroes
    Coopstah likes this.
  19. niteowl1970 Big In Japan

Colleges and universities around the country are producing thousands of Lindsey Stones every year. Many don't mature past 16 and instead of helping them become productive members of society Their professors tell them "if it feels good do it" and to fight any kind of authority until the day they die. Academically they strive for a C because hard work would interfere with their social schedules. Then if they actually graduate they're unprepared and unable to work in a competitive job market. This woman is 30 years old and lives with her parents probably not by choice and I'm sure she still owns a beer pong table and celebrates thirsty Thursday religiously every week.
    corsair likes this.
  20. Deuce screw you...

"While posted on a public forum, the picture was intended only for our own amusement"

Wait, what?

She's like the majority of Americans; selfish, clueless and lacks common-sense.. This dumb bitch should take it upon herself and volunteer at the Soldiers' Home...
    USMCMP5811, bok, frank and 1 other person like this.
  21. OCKS Subscribing Member

What she did, but mostly in the place she did it was wrong, but it doesn't call for a person losing their job. Members of masscops have got in the shit for stuff they posted here. We wouldn't want to get fired for stuff we leave here.
    Harley387 and bok like this.
  22. 7costanza Supporting Member

This (stupidity) is a national epidemic and much much worse than we could fathom. She will get a job at MSNBC and a speaking spot at the next DNC, this is NOT an isolated incident. The party of tolerance and acceptance needs a fucking beatdown....not figuratively....literally.
  23. Delta784 Guest

I guess I'm an idiot, because I fully support her right to be an ignorant jackass.

"Free speech is meant to protect unpopular speech. Popular speech, by definition, needs no protection" - Neal Boortz

I really wish some people who have weighed in on this would take a deep breath, relax, and re-read what they've said. I've seen comments ranging from calling for her deportation to an unknown foreign country, to having her drawn and quartered on the Boston Common.

The service members buried in Arlington didn't make the ultimate sacrifice so the government could take punitive actions against those who say or do something they don't agree with. That's the height of totalitarianism, bordering on a dictatorship.

I'll fight to the death to protect the rights of people who choose to take an unpopular stand on an issue, be it this idiot, or the Westboro Church whackos. When we start to judge what types of free speech are acceptable and what types are not, we pervert the 1st Amendment.
  24. Hush Moderator

She's got a right to take and post all the stupid pictures she wants. She doesn't have the right to be employed, if her employer doesn't like being linked to all that negative publicity. 1st Amendment protects government suppression of free speech, not the protection from negative consequences as a result of that speech. Having her get fired would not be an overreaction, people get dismissed for far less. It would teach her and others a valuable lesson that just because you have the freedoms, doesn't mean you have to exercise them stupidly. Shitcan her douche ass, one more on the unemployment dole won't make a difference.
    USMCMP5811, lofu and HousingCop like this.
  25. Delta784 Guest

If her employer wants to fire her and the photographer, they're fully within their rights to do so. Likewise, people are free to express their displeasure/disgust concerning the picture. However, the majority of comments I've seen are either government action (deportation) or vigilante (death by torture) in nature.

That's just wrong, no matter how you look at it. I didn't wear the uniform of this country so someone could be deported or executed for posing for an ignorant picture.
    USMCMP5811, adroitcuffs, Hush and 2 others like this.