Facebook Photo Of Plymouth Woman At Tomb Of The Unknowns Sparks Outrage

Discussion in 'Military News' started by kwflatbed, Nov 20, 2012.

1. k12kop

k12kop MassCops Member

If she really wanted to impress someone she could have tried to assault one of the tomb's guards........And then post the picture's of the sentry's response.

2. right.as.rain

right.as.rain MassCops Member

But she was on a work-related trip, and her supervisor was the one who took the photo. I think that makes it worthy of losing her job.
    Sent from my wicked smaht DROID RAZR

lofu likes this.
  3. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

Not sure about their union status which may mandate "Just Cause" but there are three "causes" to fire someone in Mass, "Good cause", "Bad Cause", and "No Cause". These allow an employer to fire anyone for any reason whatsoever, except for an "illegal" cause (race, color, national origin).

4. lofu

lofu Subscribing Member

I think my point got lost in translation. I have not called for her death, nor deportation. I do think she should be fired. My point is that she has every right to do what she did, her employer also has every right to shit can her.

I've read comments on FB and online saying "she should sue her employer. She has 1st Amendment right to do that." That's who I was calling idiots.

Hush likes this.
  5. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

When I saw it, it didn't seem to me that they intended it to be an to insult those laid to rest there, as the apology later echoed. Stupid! stupid! stupid! thing to do, but It didn't come off as intentionally anti-soldier or some kind of statement.

A guess they learned a few lessons the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pvt. Cowboy likes this.
  6. LGriffin

LGriffin Mother Führer

They were both fired.

7. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

1. Being silly or expressing yourself is O.K.
    2. Doing it while on the clock, responsible to provide services to adults with special needs, would seem to be the only issue here.

So there you have it simply. She acted a certain way while employed and accompanied with persons under her guidance, who arguably could be influenced or impressed by said actions. Employer deems it unprofessional conduct and feels it harms the company image, AND potentially the clients receiving services? See ya later. Even the best public-sector job, with a strong union backing you there would be a suspension at least.

lofu likes this.
  8. lofu

lofu Subscribing Member

Even if she mean it in an ironic way and not a disrespectful way, I wouldn't want someone that stupid working for me.

right.as.rain and HuskyH-2 like this.
  9. Coopstah

Coopstah MassCops Member

She went into this knowing what she was going to do and looking for attention, guess what - she got it , and it backfired in her face.I believe thats the ONLY reason she did it.

10. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

We work with some people who have done more stupid things than this.

TopCop24 likes this.
  11. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Those people are idiots, because most street lawyers don't even know that Constitutional protections only apply to governmental action.

lofu likes this.
  12. Coopstah

Coopstah MassCops Member

In your profession i'm sure you have had your share of people who have stepped on their D*cks, but i am sure we have not heard the last of this lindsey broad, she may end up all over the friggin talk show circuit as a result.

13. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 92K+Poster

Woman loses job over post on Facebook

Lindsey Stone — the Plymouth woman taking an online beating for posting a photo of herself flipping the bird at Arlington National Cemetery on Facebook — has lost her job.
    “Lindsey resigned and we accepted her resignation,” LIFE Inc. CEO Diane Enochs told the Herald last night.
    LIFE Inc. of Hyannis — a Cape Cod nonprofit that helps adults with special needs — announced last night

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/co...book_poster_out_of_sight/srvc=home&position=1

14. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

15. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

I think the lesson here is that if youre going to act retarded (doesnt matter the intent) and post it on the internet that you are risking your reputation,job and possibly your life. If Shes smart she'll close her fb account and stay off social web sites. Maybe some will learn from her mistake

Hush and lofu like this.
  16. skeet732

skeet732 MassCops Member

This is NOT a 1st Amendment issue, this is a "rude and disrespectful behavior" issue. Parent to child:" you are at (fill in the blank) now behave yourself"! We have all said these words, apparently her parents didn't say them often enough. She was at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, not some bar! For heaven's sake, have some respect and manners.

17. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

JAP, that photo is both funny and disturbing at the same time. I didn't know you wore a banana hammock

justanotherparatrooper and frank like this.
  18. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

Just because I can legally wipe my ass with Old Glory doesnt mean I would or that their wouldn't be serious consequences. Instead of losing her job she should have to volunteer at Walter Reed and speak at schools about The Tomb,the meaning behind it and the individuals that are their 24/7/365.

19. TopCop24

TopCop24 Working in the land of misfit toys

Exactly...and JAP your reputation went straight down the drain with me for using the word "retarded" to describe her actions.

20. justanotherparatrooper

The key word being "act".She is not retarded and I did not call her retarded, I used many other names for her. Why I happen to choose that word at the time?Frankly, Ive forgotten but do not regret it.
    I do not know your specific reasons for finding that offensive but Im guessing you either have or have close to you someone with learning dissabilities. I do know atleast two members on here that have children with special needs and I have dozens of friends that have children with special needs.I'll speak to the one that I know personally ... myself. I have a son that was developmentally challenged. He was born with Cerebral Palsy that affects his lower extremities.. I was blessed that it did not affect his ability to think, reason or speak. I was involved with Special Olympics in NH for over15 years. Ive heardother people with "challenged kids" use the word retarded in the same un-pc way,just not infront of their child. To me its the context and intent that makes a word offensive.
    The other member on here is a friend of mine who loves his kids deeply, I dont think he is offended by what I said but if he is I applogize to both him and you.
    charlie

frank, OCKS, Nuke_TRT and 2 others like this.