Falmouth Legislator seeks to license Police Officers

Discussion in 'Academy Information' started by 9X19, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Inspector71

Inspector71 Duke of Campus Police

The debate might be pointless if you can't accept others opinions...First you jump right to the 40 hour mark regarding reserves. (totally ignoring 16 to 36 hour crowd). Then you piss on every one of the reserves who don't go on to full time by the implication they are lazy detail whores. I'm glad you got on full time and now look at a very large group of your brothers and sisters as lame-asses.

2. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

All our reserves work only details, prisoner watch etc. Need a FT academy to work patrol shifts, however our reserves are making $65-90K a year working details, making them very happy.

3. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Doesn't that just make them flag men in a uniform?

PBC FL Cop likes this.
  4. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Id rather have them then a
    Flagman plus they have the 300+ hours plus academy ,for first responder and firearms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

Sooooo.......they're good enough to carry weapons and go hands on medically per MPTC guidelines, but will never gain patrol experience w/o MPOC first? You should establish an FTO Program for them, then when and if they go MPOC, they're ahead of game when they come home.........

6. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

They have option to go to a full time academy if they want it's their option.

7. Pvt. Cowboy

Ok serious question though... Not busting balls.

They can stick around and work details and make bank, but can't do actual police work as a reserve.

As a reserve, they have the option to go through the FT academy, so that gives them the option of now working the road, and doing details.

Since they're still considered a reserve, what would preclude them from jumping ship after they're FT trained to find a FT gig? Just the details?

8. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

We don't pay for their academy they pay their own way. We don't use reserves for patrol because we don't need them to.
    It's a very nice gift to get the opportunity to make money and keep their certification, while giving them a chance to attend a full time academy. I wish I had that option many moons ago.

9. samadam78

samadam78 MassCops Member

Ok this post is going to set some peoples panties on fire but here goes...

If the entire state (including sheriffs) go to a POST system and everyone is made to obtain and maintain the same training standards then these towns west of 495 can contract their law enforcement to sheriffs departments like the rest of the country... With current training standards of the sheriffs departments in mass this is obviously not feasable but if they are trained to the same standards this becomes a possibility.... Now of course this is not necessary in the eastern part of the state but in the western and north western parts it may make sense and would free up some of MSP to more saturated areas....

mpd61 likes this.
  10. Pvt. Cowboy

I have a feeling that the sheriffs departments will be excluded from the post system. Their function being correctional, I think they would be excluded. Don't want too many fishes in the pond...

Again, only a thought.

samadam78 and Edmizer1 like this.
  11. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

The sheriffs are state entities since about 15 years ago when county government was essentially eliminated. We should do what CT did. CT eliminated sheriffs and transferred all corrections to their DOC. Their version of court officers was then given the duties of civil process. Done

mpd61 and samadam78 like this.
  12. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

There are laws on the books to make a regional police department and that makes a lot of sense, combining multiple small departments and therefore eliminate the need of reserves. This might be on the books in the new committee for mptc studying the use of reserves.

samadam78 and PBC FL Cop like this.
  13. samadam78

Ive been saying this for YEARS.... 4 police chiefs making $100k a year with take home cars in a 20sq mile with 20-30k people total is ridiculous

mpd61 and j809 like this.
  14. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Yay !
    We haven't had a good sheriff bashing thread in awhile :p

samadam78, zm88 and j809 like this.
  15. mpd61

FUCK the sheriffs, FUCK SSPO's at state schools, and FUCK regional response rejects!!!!!!!!!!!

Goose and samadam78 like this.
  16. samadam78

What would a discussion be with out mpd's input :D:p

mpd61 likes this.
  17. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Wow take it easy there Woody!! All those three things you hate will be here way after you die!

18. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Working for the clampdown

Never gonna happen. Board of selectmen in ANY town won't give up the power they have in their little fiefdom. Regional dispatch has been tried and it never got off the ground. Too much infighting.
    Don't even get me started on the LEC's....

mpd61 and pahapoika like this.
  19. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Our regional dispatch works great and regional school districts are in operation now in many communities. Police and fire Are next it's the future.

samadam78, mpd61 and PBC FL Cop like this.
  20. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

Regionalization is a great concept and one that works very well when done correctly.

Goose and j809 like this.
  21. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Working for the clampdown

It may be a great concept but remember, we are talking about Massachusetts. It would never be done correctly and would never work well.

Mr Scribbles and mpd61 like this.
  22. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

LOL

23. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Funny thing is that the law exempts civil service departments from joining a regional police department.

mpd61 likes this.
  24. mpd61

It's a conspiracy!!!!

25. samadam78

As more depts leave CS I predict before most of us retire (unless your old,msp, or large city) will work for some form of regional or consolidated PD

j809 likes this.