Falmouth Legislator seeks to license Police Officers

Discussion in 'Academy Information' started by 9X19, Apr 7, 2016.

1. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

But the sheriff's department already is a regional agency :D

2. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

A vast RIGHT WING conspiracy. Ask Hilliary about that stuff, she's the expert.

3. tallwill88

tallwill88 MassCops Member

A POST system in Massachusetts would never work. The first is that there are too many law enforcement officers in this state. In Connecticut, where I used to work, there were 3.6 million citizens but about 6,000 sworn police officers. In Massachusetts, there are 6.6 million residents but more 19,000 sworn law enforcement officers. In Massachusetts, there are Sheriffs, Reserve Officers, Full-time Officers, SSPO's, etc. There are simply too many fish in the pond here for a POST system to ever be effective.

Police Departments in Connecticut must also qualify for POST certification. This means that POST must approve their need for a police department. For example, there are only two private colleges who have police departments in Connecticut. Others have applied and have been turned down, because based upon the current function of their Department of Public Safety or security department, POST has believed that upgrading their status would be unnecessary since they don't do police work. (Yale PD has been grandfathered since its 125 years old) All police officers in Connecticut (campus, hospital, municipal, environmental) are "POST-certified", which allows them to move freely to departments throughout the state without having to go to other academies.

POST also approves critical changes to police and updates to policy. For example, in the past, Windsor Locks has attempted to take jurisdiction from CSP and input town officers at Bradley. In order to do this, they would need approval from POST, who in turn, shot them down. Another example is the recent attempt of UCONN PD to take over law enforcement duties from the Town of Mansfield. (The Town of Mansfield is a constabulary, meaning they hire POST-certified "constables" to work under the Resident State Trooper, who is the chief law enforcement officer within the town.) I do not know the status of this
    but UCONN hasn't taken over jurisdiction of the town yet. POST has yet to allow it to happen.

I write all of this to show you how powerful this agency is. I don't even think the MPTC has even close to that amount of power in Massachusetts. There is too much politics in Mass to give any agency that much power.

4. USM C-4

USM C-4 MassCops Member

It doesn't have to be that way.

After 25 years of policing in Massachusetts I retired and moved to Mississippi. Where I un-retired to play at coppery at a state university. My application went to the Board on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Training (BLEOST) along with a copy of my MCJTC (then, now it's MPTC) recruit academy diploma. If you are newly-hired, BLEOST will categorize you as either Certified, or Refresher-eligible, or a Trainee.

BLEOST called MCJTC and got a copy of my academy syllabus and confirmed I graduated, then advised my department I needed to attend a "refresher" academy to update my hard skills (defensive tactics, officer survival, firearms, driving, etc.) and Mississippi criminal and traffic law. When I finished they awarded me a certificate... well, actually they sent it to my department.

If I leave, my department has to send my certificate back to BLEOST, along with a certification as to my departure status. Was I leaving in good standing, was I under investigation, etc. As long as I am leaving in good standing, I can go to work anywhere else (municipal, county, state) except Highway Patrol. Some larger cities might require a "lateral academy" that covers their particular procedures, but most will not.

Questions of jurisdiction, authority, etc. are not within the purview of the Board. They are established by state law or other regulation. For example, our authority comes from a state law authorizing state universities to hire a police force. The board acts like a clearinghouse, to give departments a place to check that an applicant is trained and certified, ready to hire. That makes the officer more employable. It also provides a way to eliminate the bad apples.

Is it perfect? Not at all. But, it does allow for officers to work pretty much anywhere in the state once certified.

5. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

It can work look at California

felony, USM C-4 and mpd61 like this.
  6. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

I did and almost became permanently blind!!!! WTF!?!?:eek:

BxDetSgt and Goose like this.
  7. 9X19

9X19 MassCops Member

It's only a matter of time until POST comes. Everything seems to sweep east from west for some reason. Its that way for a lot of things and I don't know why seeing as we have some of the finest colleges in the world. Look at para-medicine for example. Finally Massachusetts has become a Nationally registered EMS state, it took years but it came.

samadam78 likes this.