Quantcast

Famed crime boss James 'Whitey' Bulger arrested in Santa Monica [Merged Threads]

Discussion in 'New England' started by cc3915, Jun 23, 2011.

1. cc3915 Masscops Angel

[IMG]

Looks like Whitey still has fans in Boston.
  2. HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

Thats pretty funny
  3. cc3915 Masscops Angel

FBI needs to allow others in to restore confidence

For the past 23 years, Whitey Bulger was the FBI’s worst nightmare
    Now he’s their prisoner.
    It was hard to find anyone in the Boston Police Department, the State Police, or the US Drug Enforcement Administration who truly believed the FBI wanted to find Bulger. He was the FBI’s prized, if highly overrated, snitch, and he had murdered many while the FBI protected him and compromised other investigations that other law enforcement agencies mounted against Bulger.

Bulger used to have the FBI in his pocket; now all he has in that pocket is the potential for revenge, should he choose to exact it. He has told friends — indeed he has even told corrupt FBI agents — that the FBI reneged on their deal to let him run his venal little empire as long as he fed them crumbs on the competition.

FBI needs to allow others in to restore confidence - The Boston Globe
  4. pahapoika Subscribing Member

truly amazed he's alive.

thought he was fed into a wood chipper a long time ago.

with the goods he has on allot of people in this town thought those affected parties would have taken care of such a liability.

getting the chair would be justice. sadly he'll live out his years in club fed as a f**king celebrity.
  5. Hush Moderator

Whitey is a bad guy, not doubt about it, but he could not have succeeded as long as he did without help from law enforcement. As evil as he is, he could have been stopped. I wouldnt mind seeing him take a deal, if it meant all those crooked cops and FBI agents would rot in prison. Connolly is the worst one of the bunch, at first I thought he was just ambitious and would do anything to take down the Italian mob, but the more that comes out shows he was nothing more than a crooked cop with his hand out, in bed with the Bulger gang. Give Whitey a deal, hell let him live out his years free if it means giving up EVERYONE involved. That will never happen, because it will mean trading his brother's skin for his own. At least strip Billy of his pension(s)!
  6. mtc High Priestess

I think serious forensic investigations need to be done with regards to lil'Billy's involvement in funding, and keeping his brother's location secret.

And I also firmly believe that plenty of FBI and other law enforcement hierarchy knew where he was, all along.

And that they're awful uncomfortable, today.

He wanted to come home to Boston - at this time - one has to ask why - it's NOT like he's going to be convicted and imprisoned elsewhere inconvenient to his family. I think he's got a short amount of time left and he's going to "beg God's forgiveness" and croak before any jury is panelled.

Or Grieg's family didn't want to put up with the media snooping around - what did THEY know of their whereabouts?

I find it completely improbable that these two have had zero contact with any of their family in 16 years.
  7. LA Copper Subscribing Member

He couldn't stay away any longer. What with the Sox winning the World Series, the Celtics winning the championship, the Patriots winning the Superbowl, and now the Bruins winning the Stanley Cup, he must have figured the stars are all aligned perfectly for him to win his big court case. What could go wrong?
  8. HistoryHound Supporting Member

Mark Wahlberg On Bulger: Hopefully There

We all knew it wouldn't be long before Hollywood chimed in.

(On a seperate note, maybe someone could explain to WBZ that paragraphs should be one sentence long.)
  9. kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 89K+Poster

10. soxrock75 BOOM!

They also got Wahlberg's part wrong - he played SSGT. Dignam who actually quit the MSP because he hated how the Rats in the movie got away with it. He ends up shooting the crooked MSP Rat (Matt Damon) in the final scene............
  11. USM C-4 MassCops Member

Maybe, maybe not.

BUT... Oklahoma and Florida both want him for death-penalty cases, and at least the OK DA has announced he will seek the needle for Whitey. Wonder what his chances will be in a state court in Tulsa?

I'm guessing he better hurry up and die from old age because in a few years Oklahoma is likely to strap him to a gurney.
  12. kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 89K+Poster

Whitey’s new life as a Unit G-man

[IMG]
    Photo by Patrick Whittemore
    MOBSTER’S NEW DIGS: Plymouth County Correctional Facility is
    where murderer James ‘Whitey’ Bulger will be housed during his
    stay in Massachusetts.

James “Whitey” Bulger’s world is now an 8-by-12-foot cell in Unit G, the maximum security section of the Plymouth County Correctional Facility, where inmates are locked up for 23 hours a day.
    Built in 1994, the 1,600-inmate hoosegow on Long Pond Road — the largest prison facility under one roof in Massachusetts — houses a mix of county, state and federal prisoners, including accused terrorists and tax cheats.
    Plymouth officials said U.S. Marshals have gagged them from talking about their most- famous inmate.

Full Story:
    Whitey’s new life as a Unit G-man - BostonHerald.com

[IMG]
    Bulger offers new
    details to authorities

A chatty James “Whitey’’ Bulger provided FBI agents with intriguing details about his life on the run after his arrest last week, boasting that he routinely slipped into Mexico to buy medicine for a heart condition, according to a law enforcement official. (By Shelley Murphy, Globe Staff)
    More Bulger coverage
  13. cc3915 Masscops Angel

Feds: Whitey Bulger visited Boston ‘armed to the teeth’

Accused serial killing mobster James J. “Whitey” Bulger sang like a canary on his plane ride home from Santa Monica to Boston, telling agents he traveled to Tijuana to buy medicine, hit Las Vegas to play the slots and back to the Hub “armed to the teeth” to settle an old score, according to newly filed government documents.
    Bulger, who’s facing 19 murder charges and two possible death penalty cases in two states, waived his Miranda rights during the plane ride home and made the shocking disclosures, federal agents say.
    The documents don’t say when Bulger returned to Boston or what mode of transportation he used. The papers do, though, say Bulger returned to Boston “in disguise” on “several occasions” while he was on the lam.

The mobster also had two cell phones and said he traveled to San Diego, court documents say.

Feds: Whitey Bulger visited Boston ‘armed to the teeth’ - BostonHerald.com
  14. HistoryHound Supporting Member

And yet, we're supposed to believe that Billy had no idea where Whitey was and had zero contact with him.
  15. kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 89K+Poster

Bulger Back In Court Tuesday; Greig Hires Lawyer
    Lawyers On Both Sides Have Monday Deadline To Argue Issue

BOSTON -- Reputed Boston mob boss James "Whitey" Bulger will be back in federal court on Tuesday for a hearing on whether he will pay for his own attorney while his legal case unfolds, or whether he's too poor to afford legal counsel, leaving taxpayers to foot the bill. Federal Judge Mark Wolf scheduled the hearing for 2 p.m. Tuesday at the Moakley Courthouse in Boston. On Monday, it was announced that Catherine Greig, Bulger's longtime girlfriend who was on the run with him for 16 years, would be represented by prominent defense attorney Kevin Reddington, with James Herbert serving as co-counsel. It was not immediately known how Greig would be paying for Reddington's services.
    Federal prosecutors and Bulger's temporary court-appointed lawyer have until the end of the day on Monday to submit arguments on whether Bulger should be declared indigent and assigned a public defender. "If Mr. Bulger had the money to hire counsel (which he does not), the government would presumably also try to seize any retainer that Mr. Bulger paid to hire counsel," Bulger's court-appointed attorney Peter Krupp wrote in court documents.

PDF: Court Order

The government is expected to fight any such move.

Read more: Bulger Back In Court Tuesday; Greig Hires Lawyer - Whitey Bulger Extended Coverage News Story - WCVB Boston
  16. LA Copper Subscribing Member

I'd be willing to bet that if the feds were really looking for Whitey, they would have had Billy's phone(s) tapped for quite a while. If they were really looking..
  17. Delta784 Guest

Which surely Whitey and Billy and knew, so I doubt Whitey would call his brother's home phone.
  18. mtc High Priestess

I think they have Billy's tracks covered nicely - and I do NOT think Whitey is going to rat on the lil'corrupt midget (oh - I mean his brother!)
  19. OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

Keep in mind, at common law (and in Massachusetts) accessory after the fact doesn't apply to family members. Not that I think Billy should get a free pass, but if he was your brother, would you have outed him nor given him any aid or comfort if he asked for it? Just sayin'...
  20. 7costanza Supporting Member

The only difference I see between the 2 brothers is the price of their suit.
  21. Hush Moderator

When Whitey first split the feds put a pen register on Billys phone. Unfortunately a woman at the phone company told her father (a bookie) who passed the info on to Kevin Weeks...and that was the end of that.
  22. Delta784 Guest

If he had killed 19 people? He'd be on his own.....
  23. mtc High Priestess

Imagine what Billy Bulger profited from Whitey's racketeering.... even if by name association alone....
  24. cc3915 Masscops Angel

Whitey Bulger granted taxpayer-funded lawyer

A federal judge declared James “Whitey” Bulger indigent today and assigned Boston defense lawyer J.W. Carney as his attorney.
    Also today, a federal judge today refused to bend to Bulger’s request to keep his 1994 racketeering case open and backed prosecutors who want to move directly to trying the Southie mobster for 19 alleged murders.
    U.S. District Court Judge Mark Wolf ruled that prosecutors were within their rights to dismiss the case. He rejected a claim by Bulger’s lawyer that prosecutors were “judge shopping.”

“It’s in the interest of justice” to dismiss the earlier case, Wolf said. The judge also took exception to the slap prosecutors are “judge shopping” saying Bulger ran from the indictment in the first place.

Whitey Bulger granted taxpayer-funded lawyer - BostonHerald.com
  25. Delta784 Guest

Re: Whitey Bulger granted taxpayer-funded lawyer

Not exactly your typical public defender.....how much is this going to cost us?