Family in law enforcement help?

Discussion in 'Civil Service' started by Cops, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Cops

Cops New Member

I have a large family in law enforcement, mainly with in the MADOC and MSP. I want to go into law enforcement when I get out of highschool but I was wondering how much family in law enforcement helps, As my second cousin is George Hanna(Yes the one that the Mass police medal of honor is named after) and on my mother side my great grand father was also killed on duty, he was Wilfred Gerrior. So My question is would this help me in anyway in getting hired?

I plan when I get out of highschool is to apply to the sheriffs dept and enlist, wilst going to college and when possible taking any of the police academies as well as taking the exams every 2yrs for police,state trooper and corrections. My ultimate goal is to either be a local officer, MBTA officer or a state trooper.

2. Rogergoodwin

Rogergoodwin MassCops Member

I questioned the seriousness of this question wilst I read this.

3. mtc

mtc High Priestess Staff Member

How'd I miss this gem?

If the OP had family on the job the OP wouldn't have these questions.

4. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

Unless your parent was killed or disabled LOD, there is no preference. 402A and 402B do not extend to second cousins or great grandparents.

Your best option is to visit a recruiting station prior to graduating and get Veterans preference. That and keep your nose clean- no BOP, no drug use and a decent driving record is a must.

Joel98, Rogergoodwin and pahapoika like this.
  5. sgtmike1980

sgtmike1980 MassCops Member

Being in a L. E family should not mean anything, its your qualifications, interview skills and that type of stuff is what matters. Don't try to get by on your family name but on what YOU do!

6. felony

felony MassCops Member

It means nothing. Family references and networking help to a certain extent but do not guarantee anyone a job.

7. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Once your on the job completely different story

pahapoika, Bloodhound and HuskyH-2 like this.
  8. Fuzzywuzzy

Fuzzywuzzy MassCops Member

Not really a factor in hiring like it was 100 years ago. Regardless of who is in your family nobody is going to hire someone who is functionally retarded. Unless you are applying to be Chief of Police.

Tuna, Treehouse413 and Joel98 like this.
  9. sgtmike1980

sgtmike1980 MassCops Member

Nor should they, we have enough clowns that got on because of connections.