Fatal Crash Snarls Route 128 Traffic

Discussion in 'New England' started by kwflatbed, May 7, 2008.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 91K+Poster

1 Killed In Crash

[​IMG]

BOSTON -- A fatal multi-car crash closed several lanes of Route 128 south in Newton on Wednesday.

The crash -- involving a car and a truck -- happened near the Route 16 exit at about 1:30 p.m. Wednesday.

A NewsCenter 5 photographer at the scene said a man in the car was killed in the crash. The truck driver was not injured. It's unclear if there were any other injuries.
    The right three travel lanes were blocked as crews cleared the scene, and traffic backed up for several miles on Route 128 south to Waltham.

The cause of the crash is under investigation.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

[​IMG]

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/16189722/detail.html#
  2. kwflatbed

BOSTON -- A fatal multi-car crash closed several lanes of Route 128 south in Wellesley on Wednesday, backing up traffic for miles.

The crash -- involving a car and a truck -- happened near the Route 16 exit at about 1 p.m. Wednesday.

Massachusetts State Police said a man was driving a 2008 Toyota Yaris in the right lane of Route 128 south when he lost control of the car, crossing all four lanes before crashing into the median. The car then veered to the right, drove back across the highway and hit a guardrail. The car traveled along the guardrail until it hit a parked 2003 Mack flatbed lumber truck, state police said. The impact with the truck sent the car spinning back into road where it came to rest facing oncoming traffic, police said.
    The truck's driver was outside the vehicle securing a load of lumber at the time of the crash and was not injured.

The driver of the Yaris was pronounced dead at the scene. His name has not been released.

The right three travel lanes were blocked as crews cleared the scene, and traffic backed up for several miles on Route 128.

The cause of the crash is under investigation.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/16189722/detail.html
  3. Nightstalker

Nightstalker MassCops Member

It took me an hour and a half to get from the pike down 3 exits on 128. Anytime anything happens on 128 half the free world goes to shit. What a mess!!!!
  4. Simon

Simon Guest

that pic sent a shiver down my spine !!! WOW
  5. kwflatbed

Man dies after crashing into truck on 128

[​IMG]
    Photo by Mike Adaskaveg
    A trooper looks at the wreckage of a fatal crash on Route 128 in Wellesley yesterday.

A Hingham man was killed yesterday afternoon after his car spun out of control and crashed into a flatbed truck that was stopped alongside Route 128 in Wellesley.
    Charles P. Kachin, 76, was driving a 2008 Toyota Yaris in the right lane of Route 128 south when he lost control, veering across all four southbound lanes before careening into the median.
    He then traveled across the roadway, into the guardrail on the right shoulder of the road and continued against the guard-rail before crashing into the rear of a 2003 Mack flatbed truck carrying lumber, according to state police.
    [​IMG]
    Jeffrey D. Eccles, 27, of Waltham, the driver of the Mack truck, was outside the vehicle securing his load of lumber when the crash occurred. Police said he was not injured.
    Police also said Kachin - who was wearing a seatbelt - was declared dead at the scene.
    For several hours after the accident yesterday afternoon, only the left lane of Route 128 was open, causing massive backups.

http://bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1092611
  6. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Administrator Staff Member

I think at the half hour mark, I would have gotten off the very next exit and circumvented the area.
  7. rg1283

rg1283 MassCops Member

128 is an outdated road. Terms like "active BDL" are used on a daily basis. I avoid 128 unless I am in the company car doing work. I'd rather take the back roads and at least be moving.