Federal Air Marshal

Discussion in 'Federal Employment' started by mpguy, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpguy

mpguy MassCops Member

Job Title: Federal Air Marshal

Department: Department Of Homeland Security

Agency: Transportation Security Administration

Sub Agency: DHS-Transportation Security Administration

Job Announcement Number: FAM-F11-F012

SALARY RANGE:

$39,358.00 - $60,982.00 /yearOPEN PERIOD:

Thursday, March 03, 2011 to Thursday, March 17, 2011SERIES & GRADE:

SV-1801-G/GPOSITION INFORMATION:

Full-Time PermanentPROMOTION POTENTIAL:

GDUTY LOCATIONS:

many vacancies - Throughout the NationWHO MAY BE CONSIDERED:

Government-Wide-Current and former permanent Federal employees. Applications will also be accepted from Veterans' Preference eligibles OR veterans who were honorably discharged from the Armed Forces after completing at least 3 years of continuous active duty. Such applicants will compete under TSA's Merit Promotion procedures for which Veterans' Preference is not a factor in the selection process.

JOB SUMMARY:

NOTE: Federal Air Marshals are federal law enforcement officers as defined in title 5 United States Code.

The mission of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Office of Law Enforcement/Federal Air Marshal Service (OLE/FAMS) is to promote public confidence in the security of our nation's transportation domain. To achieve this mission, OLE/FAMS deploys Federal Air Marshals on U.S. aircraft worldwide; conducts law enforcement operations, protection, response, detection, and assessment activities in airports and other transportation systems; maintains TSA's state of preparedness and coordinates incident management; trains and manages all armed pilots; and coordinates all TSA canine assets.

As federal law enforcement officers, Federal Air Marshals are responsible for policing and securing the nation's transportation systems, protecting U.S. commercial aviation assets in foreign countries, making arrests (with and without arrest warrants), participating in criminal investigations, seeking and executing arrest and search warrants, testifying in court proceedings, conducting interviews and interrogations, representing the U.S. government in foreign countries, and working closely with other U.S. and foreign law enforcement agencies. Federal Air Marshals are deployed worldwide on passenger flights of U.S. carriers to detect, deter, and defeat hostile acts targeting U.S. carriers, airports, crews, and passengers.

Realistic Job Preview: Please click on the link below to view the Federal Air Marshals Realistic Job Preview video.
    http://www.realisticjobpreview.net/fams/

The Realistic Job Preview gives applicants an honest, objective and vivid portrait of what it means to work as a Federal Air Marshal (FAM). Many FAM applicants are not aware of the real requirements of the job. The Realistic Job Preview provides employee testimonies about both the good and the challenging aspects of being a FAM.

Applicants selected for Federal Air Marshal positions must agree to the key requirements listed on the Duties tab.
    Newly selected Federal Air Marshals are assigned to one of the OLE/FAMS 26 field offices based on the operational needs of the Service. As part of the application process, applicants are given the opportunity to indicate their preference of desired locations for initial assignment in rank order by regions:

Northeast Region: Boston, MA; New York, NY; Newark, NJ; Philadelphia, PA; Baltimore, MD; Washington, DC; Pittsburgh, PA.

Southeast Region: Charlotte, NC; Atlanta, GA; Orlando, FL; Tampa, FL; Miami, FL.

North Central Region: Cleveland, OH; Cincinnati, OH; Detroit, MI; Chicago, IL; Minneapolis, MN.

South Central Region: Dallas, TX; Houston, TX.

Western Region: Denver, CO; Las Vegas, NV; Phoenix, AZ; Los Angeles, CA; San Diego, CA; San Francisco, CA; Seattle, WA.

While consideration is given to these preferences, selectees may be assigned to any OLE/FAMS field office. Also, please note that employees may be reassigned to different geographic locations throughout their tenure. Selectees will be required to sign a Mobility Agreement as a condition of employment. After successfully completing two years of continuous service, a Federal Air Marshal may be provided an opportunity to request a voluntary lateral transfer at his or her own expense to another field office as determined by seniority and the needs of the Service.

Salary: $39,358 - $60,982 / per year

USAJOBS - Search Jobs
  2. Irishpride

Irishpride Subscribing Member

Anyone who's interested there is also a posting for FAMS that are not internal/vets. It's the same thing just the "who may be considered" states all US citizens.
  3. mpguy

mpguy MassCops Member

Just beware..... I hear bad things about the FAM. But I also hear it's a GREAT stepping stone
  4. 263FPD

263FPD Administrator Staff Member

I dunno, I met a guy who was a cop before going FAM. He loves it. I met another while flying armed and we talked a bit. He hated it. It is no different then any job. You will not please everyone. As far as it being a stepping stone? I suppose it lets you start vesting in the Federal Retirement System, but that is it. You will still have to do all the usual pre-screaning BS to move within the Federal LE community, I would imagine.
  5. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

I've gone through the process twice, only to get held up at the interview. They're looking for prior military, or prior law enforcement ONLY. That's what I was told as I was walked out... Good group of guys too.

Though USAJobs markets it as an entry-level position, the FAMS do not feel the same.
  6. TacEntry

TacEntry MassCops Member

I currently work with a former FAM, and I've worked with several guys who left to go FAM back right after 9/11. I deployed with a FAM overseas for a year and I went through the Police Academy with a former FAM.

From what I've been told the Con's seem to be:

Boring - you fly alot.
    You're away alot.
    Management at some field offices.
    Unless you get assigned to an FBI Task Force or something, you do very little LE. You're either reading a magazine, trying to stay awake, or you're popping someones grape with a Sig round. There's really not a whole lot inbetween.

The Pro's are:

You're either reading a magazine, trying to stay awake, or you're popping someones grape with a Sig round.
    You're away alot - travel
    Management at some field offices
    Awesome training, all the time. The worst FAMs shooters are better than most "good shooters".
  7. mpguy

mpguy MassCops Member

The reason why i say GREAT stepping stone, is because i met a ton of people in glynco ga moving on to 1811(special agent) positions from FAM. But your all right, any job is was u make of it.
  8. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Do they have OVERTIMEEEEEEEEEEE?

---------- Post added at 16:28 ---------- Previous post was at 16:28 ----------

And I assume no CH90 Air Powers?
  9. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

No Ch. 90...

It would be Ch. 747...
  10. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Administrator Staff Member

And 737 CMR's for flyways.....
  11. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

It's a vital, necessary position, but I can't imagine a more boring job.

Here's a thought....extend HR 218 to airplanes. If I can be trusted to not go berserk and start shooting up a shopping mall outside my state, I think I can be trusted to not either hijack or start shooting-up an airplane.
  12. A133

A133 MassCops Member

You are correct:sleep:
  13. DHSFED

DHSFED MassCops Member

Job is VERY boring, but you get to travel the world and make $$$$$ in per diem. My old partner travels all over to France, Italy, England, China. HR-218 will never be extended, stance of Federal LEO organizations is to keep it a federal right only. Sucks but that is why we become FEDS to have all the power.
  14. quality617

quality617 Subscribing Member

Wait......what?:unsure:
  15. mpguy

mpguy MassCops Member

I dont think he meant to come off like an ass. Or maybe he did... :unsure:
    (thanked him by accident) oooppppsss
  16. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Then you took the job for all the wrong reasons.

BTW....want to compare arrest numbers? How many traffic citations have you written lately?
  17. HousingCop

HousingCop Czar of Cyncism and Satire

Yeah Delta, but how many stewardesses did you bang last week? Just sayin'...... Each job got it's bennies.
  18. 263FPD

263FPD Administrator Staff Member

Ummmm....... Remember him????

[​IMG]

How about the stewardASSes???

[​IMG]

And the female flight attendands??? I have seen more fugly ones then the ones they USED to hire in the 1960's and '70's for their sex appeal.
  19. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Do they have the 37 age limit too?
  20. Herrdoktor

Herrdoktor MassCops Member

This is a great career path for guys who are trying to get a starting point in the Federal system.

The job may be boring, but the pay is pretty damn good (OT/Per diem) and there is a good chance you are going to be placed where you want nationwide. Talking to several Marshals in the D.C. area you are not away from home that much. 3-4 nights away from home a week isn't that bad especially for younger guys.

Also the firearms training is considered some of the best at the Federal level. I have seen Air Marshals easily out shoot retired Army handgun instructors and retired Navy Seals. They really are that good.
  21. federal officer

federal officer MassCops Member

With our grand Government on the verge of shutting down you all may want to reconsider going federal. It happed back in 1998 and for a month. empoyees didn't receive a pay check, nice huh. :stomp:
  22. A133

A133 MassCops Member

Not sure about this. I seem to recall that it was threatened, but can assure you I never missed or received a late pay check in my entire career. Was it limited to certain agencies? It seems like it would have been a huge story and a monumental CF if this happened. How did they make up for the missed month of pay?
  23. federal officer

federal officer MassCops Member

I can assure you it did happen. I can only speak for the Justice depatment. Its a very hot topic around these parts as a few Officers lived through it and tell stories about it. It starting to rear its ugly head again as the Government has been mulling the idea now for months. It was gonna happen a few weeks ago but we got an extension for three weeks. the three week extension got another three week extension. Alot of folks around here are really worried about it as most americans live paycheck to paycheck and it will really hurt. Back in 1995 when it last happened Congress approved to back pay everyone when the shut down was over. People did get there money but for that one month nothing was sent out.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_federal_government_shutdown_of_1995]United States federal government shutdown of 1995 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
  24. mpguy

mpguy MassCops Member

All federal Law Enforcement types are exempt from the furlough. Or so i've heard. It's nothing to worry about though. They will pay you, but you'll just have to wait for that check over a period of time. Times like this are what tax returns are for.... just in case......
  25. uspresident1

uspresident1 MassCops Member

If you take a job as a FAM you have to ENJOY FLYING. You can't have a " I don't mind flying" mindset, you have to enjoy it. Your flying usually 4 or 5 times a week, sometimes jumping on and off a plane 3 times. Up and down, up and down will do a number on my ears. I wish I could fly that often because I would be a FAM in a heartbeart but it's just not for me. The money is great and the training is great but you really have to be made for this job.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.