FHP arrest PBSO deputy for failing to stop

Discussion in 'National' started by PBC FL Cop, Feb 18, 2012.

1. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

2. mtc

mtc High Priestess Staff Member

There REALLY needs to be some sort of FHP Follie's thread.

WTF - they pull over unmarked cruisers - not neccessarily late for work, but heading to an active surveilance scene?

WTF is wrong with them?
  3. Inspector71

Inspector71 Duke of Campus Police

It's refreshing to see that this shit happens everywhere and not just Mass...LOL!!!!!!!!!
  4. mtc

I've honestly never heard of a cruiser getting pulled over and officer arrested.. marked or unmarked.

I guess it's where I come from... if you're in the cruiser, you're not "Off" duty.
    fra444 and PBC FL Cop like this.
  5. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

It happens here in MA because I know an officer it happened too. The stop lasted less than a Min. What I gathered happend by the officer that told me was they were late for in-service so they were of course going a bit fast, got pulled over. The late officer that got pulled over said sorry I am running late for in-service. The trooper asked what academy they replied and the trooper simply told them take it easy and that was it. The officer going to in-service was in a Unmarked so it was understandable.
    corsair likes this.
  6. mtc

THAT will happen - but to pull over a cruiser, marked, unmarked, or regardless identified - and arrest the officer operating ? While on the way to a call, incident, or other?
    (OK, besides while drunk and fleeing the banshee-'ho while off duty )

NOT the same thing.
    I think this board would light up if that happened here.
    fra444 and USMCMP5811 like this.
  7. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

"Non-traditional" unmarked police vehicles (SUV's, mini-vans, etc.) are more and more common these days; I've inadvertently stopped unmarked cars from my own and other agencies, and as soon as I knew they were legit, they were on their way with a "Have a safe night" from me.

Also, I'd wager there are more whackers driving "unmarked" CVPI's (spotlight, prisoner cage, visible LED lights, etc.) than legitimate cops these days, so I have no problem stopping them, also.

If a vehicle refuses to stop and flashes blue lights, run the plate. If it comes back to a PD or no record found, and there's no reports of stolen police vehicles, I'm going to assume they're speeding for a legitimate reason, and let it go. It's up to that agency's supervisory staff to make that determination, not me.
    honor12900, corsair, fra444 and 5 others like this.
  8. 263FPD

263FPD Administrator Staff Member

(F)k'n (H)elpless (P)olice

Stupid stupid stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

Did you guys even read the story?

One of Lisboa's supervisors later told sheriff's investigators he instructed Lisboa by radio to "pull the f*** over,'' but that the deputy said he couldn't because he'd been stopped before for speeding and feared a confrontation.

Unmarked Dodge Journey? Late for his 2pm shift at 92 mph? Supervisor confirms there was no active surveillance? Fuck that guy for banging down the highway for 13 minutes and not listening to his boss who told him to stop. I'm gonna agree with the stop, but not the arrest. The deputy rang the trooper's bell but could've ended it by simply stopping.
  10. Deuce

Deuce screw you...

"Looking back on it, I should have just got out of the car and put my hands on my head and called it a day,'' he said. "But I was upset. I couldn't believe this was happening.'' - Lisboa

About sums it up right there. Someone's ego got in the way..
    PBC FL Cop likes this.
  11. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

In March, Lisboa pleaded guilty to misdemeanor reckless driving and was fined $50 plus court costs, a total of $506. The Sheriff's Office suspended him for 30 days without pay and revoked his take-home car for a year.
  12. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

From what I'm seeing from the FHP I don't think I'd stop for them. They seem out of their freaking minds!​
    USMCMP5811 and Delta784 like this.
  13. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

As I said, once I confirm that it's a legit police vehicle, my interest ceases. If the brass of that agency wants to deal with it, then they can deal with it.

Not my concern, and not my responsibility.
    USMCMP5811 and fra444 like this.
  14. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

I once stopped a Honda Accord shitbox back in the mid 90's with a flashing blue light on the dash. I had to hustle to catch up and pull it over. Once I approached, it was a MSP CPAC detective, who I knew so I didn't even need to ID him, who was going to a home invasion up in East Bhumfuk. Whole interaction took less than 30 seconds, and may have taken a minute if I needed to verify his ID, but Florida is a whole 'nother steaming pile I don't care to step in.
    Delta784 likes this.
  15. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

I went down there for the test and PAT for FHP. At the PAT site (a commuity college) there was an academy going on. I happen to be leaving the site and bumped into a few of them, made some small talk, but also got my nuts busted too. The running joke with them was if you can't become a deputy, join the FHP. I sort of scoffed at that. But with FHP being one of the lowest paid agencies in the state, and employing approximately 2000 + troopers (under staffed at that), coupled with a severe turnover rate, I would imagine there are a lot of sour/pissed off troopers. Also, with an agency that size, you're gonna have a few more bad apples and idiots than an agency with only 300 deputies or officers....Just the law of averages there.

PS - my post has nothing to do with this story ( just brought back memories), I wasn't there, so I won't comment, but it seems a little sketchy on both sides.
  16. Herrdoktor

Herrdoktor MassCops Member

I did a drug interdiction class last year taught by two retired FHP who tried to do a little hiring pitch at the end. They quickly stopped talking when realized that two of the guys in his class left FHP years ago and moved to Virginia.

All I have heard for guys coming up from FL is that FHP has horrendous pay, no step increases and the shifts are terrible for your first 5+ years. I can't imagine why anyone would want to work for that agency if they were not from Florida and had family, etc.
  17. Herrdoktor

Also if you guys want to see unmarked speeding vehicles go work near an FBI field office.
    Foxy85 likes this.
  18. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

FHP is actually not one of the lowest paid agencies in the state, their pay in comparable to other police and sheriff's in north Florida and equal or greater than many other FL state agencies, they just have a bad reputation of writing and arresting fellow officers.

In this case people were wrong on both sides of the badges, the problem is FHP does this on a regular basis. This is not an isolated incident or even a rare encounter between FHP and another LEO.

Many sheriff's offices are actually larger than FHP and while every agency has their 10%, this is the FHP culture. The joke about one not being able to become a cop then become a trooper is a common theme. The problem with FHP is they do not have the type of exposure to real crime on a regular basis like the sheriff's and police do, so many times troopers do fall into the felony traffic enforcement syndrome, where speeding becomes a major crime. The thought of letting a speeder go becomes serious business.

Speeding unmarked police cars are not a new phenomenon, nor are speeding marked cruisers. Run radar on the turnpike or 95 and I will assure you, one will see a trooper or two exceeding the speed limit, I know this is hard to believe but it's true. I guess it comes down to how bad one wants to end speeding in America. Unfortunately, even after all the efforts of FHP, and I know this will shock many of you, but people are still speeding on the Florida highways and getting away with it....But on that day, the 7 troopers who were involved with stopping this deputy from speeding rewarded the State of Florida with over $500.00 in fines for the efforts of all those troopers. Now the cost to the State of Florida for all the overtime, prosecutors, judges and clerks was well worth their efforts....Job well done!!
    fra444 likes this.
  19. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

It wasn't a "stop" per se, but many years ago, I got a call of 2 suspicious males in the parking lot of a 24-hour pharmacy at 3am. It turned out to be 2 Boston PD Internal Affairs (or whatever they call it...."professional standards" or something) Detectives who were obviously working a case. I had lit their car up like the 4th of July when I approached them, which probably blew their "cover" wide open.

Gee....what a shame. :cool:
    fra444, Foxy85, USMCMP5811 and 2 others like this.
  20. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

After many years of intense psychotherapy, I've eventually gotten past it, and have moved on. ;)
  21. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

My goodness, what's up with lack of interagency cooperation... on both sides. Can't we all just get along?

And I won't even mention the tactics, or lack thereof, of the female trooper on the passenger side of the car when the car finally stops.
  22. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

Kind of why VSP also has a reputation for stopping, citing and not extending professional courtesy to any other agency. I suppose if you work near every three-letter agency in the world, plus about a billion DoD personnel it'd be hard to go a whole day without running into a bunch. In this case I don't know anything about the FHP or Florida in general except that it's not on my list of retirement destinations. That's where "discretion" is allowed for officers here in stopping the vehicles. Maybe not so much in FL or VA though.
    USMCMP5811 likes this.
  23. Herrdoktor

VSP's biggest problem is that they fall under the 'if its speeding it must be a crime' mentality because those guys barely get off the interstate.

It also doesn't help that they are grossly understaffed and underpaid with a horrible work schedule (forced OT, no days off for weeks, etc.).

If you get stopped by a county guy in VA the worst you might get is questions about life back home and/or get chastised about trying to keep it under 90 with the simple warning of, 'if a trooper gets you it won't be a warning'.
  24. USM C-4

USM C-4 MassCops Member

Just a couple of comments... the Mississippi Highway Patrol has jurisdiction over offenses committed on highways. Period. If directed by the Governor to assist a county, they assist the sheriff of that county. There are some exceptions, but that's basically it. There are only a couple hundred of them.

Despite that, all the ones I've met have been great people, who would never think of engaging in this sort of thing. Must say I'm glad of it.

We have a 4-lane public road running through campus...dual jurisdiction with University and city PDs. There are 5 large dorms on the north side of the road with 1300 students, all of whom have to cross the street to get to classes, most of their parking lots, etc. The stretch by most of the dorms is a 15 mph zone during school hours (0700-2200 due to night classes) and 35 mph otherwise. The other afternoon I lit up a pickup truck going 40 only to find it was a NET officer from the city (like a street crime unit) responding to a burglary. I didn't know him, but as soon as I walked up and saw the uniform, radio, etc. he was on his way. Like others have said, 30 seconds at the most.

Not to say obvious ass-hattery might not get a ticket, but in nearly 32 years of committing police work it hasn't happened yet.
  25. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

I was enroute to work the other night, running late with a friend covering me until I could get there. I see the obvious front end of a CVPI in my rear-view for several miles of back roads. I'm traveling an average of 8-12 mph over the limit, 35-45 mph limits. When I hit a 30 Mph zone (at 23:15 with no traffic) I dont immediately slow, and the blue lights go on. I pull over, and a marked MSP cruiser pulls along side, (NOT) behind. Immediately he says "Yeah it figures." in a wise ass tone. "What department are you with?" I tell him and that I'm trying to get my buddy out since he's covering for me. He says "You were going a little quick through that 30 back there. See ya later." and he speeds off.

I'm gonna wager that he knew exactly who I was and where I was going considering a glance at matching recent inquiry's will spell it out for him, not to mention he pulled up alongside a vehicle at 23:15 to chat.

Anyway, just kinda irked me. He knew I was on the job, and I wasn't driving crazy. Not sure the point of such a stop.
  26. SPINMASS

SPINMASS Subscribing Member

I have been stopped a few time in my personal vehicle, and have been chasticed for things that I maybe should not have been doing or got fixed on the car, but all in all they always extend proffesional courtesy. I have yet to cite a brother or sister on the job and I don't plan on starting anytime soon.
    fra444 and USMCMP5811 like this.