Fiery Crash Injures Driver, Damages Bridge

Discussion in 'New England' started by kwflatbed, Feb 19, 2012.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 92K+Poster

[​IMG]

A truck that caught fire and exploded in Fall River Sunday morning has left numerous ramp closures and a bridge with structural damage, according to state police.

Fire crews and state police responded to the scene near the Braga Bridge on Route 79 southbound at 6:05 a.m., where an FLD tractor truck with no trailer was completely engulfed in flames.

Authorities said the smoke from the fire was so intense, a trooper on scene had to stop her cruiser and walk up to the crash scene. That’s where the trooper located the driver, Luis Cotto, 42, of Taunton, laying nearby, unconscious, over the jersey barrier. She dragged him approximately 180 feet away from the fire to safety.

Cotto was transported to Charlton Memorial Hospital where his condition is unknown.

Multiple crews were needed to extinguish the blaze.

Read more: http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/30494307/detail.html#ixzz1mqkJwBuM

2. Hank Moody

Hank Moody Duder Staff Member

Good job Trooper. Maybe now they'll replace that deathtrap bridge

(Enjoy the details boys and girls)

Marks72, corsair and fra444 like this.
  3. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

Snipe they already have a plan that has been bid and scheduled to start in the spring to take the whole thing down. YET they continue the repairs instead of just taking it down....... WTG MASS DOT!!!

4. cc3915

cc3915 Masscops Angel Staff Member

Second one in a year for Allyson. Outstanding job.

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

Marks72 likes this.
  5. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Nice jobs Trooper

6. corsair

corsair Supporting Member

Great job Trooper Powell!

7. mtc

mtc High Priestess Staff Member

The same... nerves of steel on her... luckily for this guy too!

Marks72 likes this.
  8. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

It's a great feeling knowing that there are law enforcement professionals like Trooper Powell willing to give all to rescue a total stranger. Then I read an article in the local liberal rag and see this hack piece.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/02/data_from_salary_database_of_m.html

"The public databases are always popular with readers," said Ed Kubosiak Jr., Editor-in-chief of MassLive.com. "The data can be used to take a closer look at a number of relevant issues, including how compensation for public sector jobs compares to private sector work, relative salaries for men and women, and more."

What private sector jobs compares with what a LEO does ? The comments are pathetic as always and attribute the high salaries to "hack union workers." These people making the comments are the same people who would NEVER perform a selfless act like Trooper Powell has on two occasions and instead would stand just there with their smartphone putting it on video.

The salaries I saw in the piece ( They published names and salaries as usual) Are completely in line with the work LEO's do. The same people that are complaining the loudest are the ones that call you to their house to raise their children for them or referee their piss poor relationship choices. Fuck em..... They don't deserve your respect but you give it to them anyway because you're professionals.

End of rant

9. mtc

Some liberal ass media shitbag should ask Mr Truckdriver if he thinks Tpr Powell is paid enough... :rolleyes:

USMCMP5811, Marks72 and corsair like this.
  10. victoria brown

victoria brown New Member

wow atleast they will be fixing some of that highway its horrible to drive on

11. kwflatbed

A heroic state trooper already honored two years ago for saving a man from a burning car leaped into action again yesterday, pulling an unconscious truck driver from a wall of flaming wreckage in Fall River moments after he crashed his rig into a bridge support.
    Trooper Allyson Powell tossed aside any regard for her own safety when she found 42-year-old Luis Cotto sprawled across a jersey barrier on Route 79 and dragged him 180 feet from an inferno so intense, authorities said, it damaged the bridge’s steel support beams.
    Police said Cotto was driving his 1992 tractor truck, with no trailer, southbound when it struck a barrier on the right side of the highway, veered left onto the curb and rode along a guardrail before slamming into the steel support.
    He also hit a scaffold, used in ongoing repairs, which quickly went up in flames, causing Powell, who was first on the scene, to slam the brakes on her cruiser before running to his rescue.
    No stranger to dangerous situations, Powell was awarded a Carnegie Hero Fund medal after she broke the window of a burning car in Swansea in July 2010 and, with the help of two bystanders, dragged the driver to safety moments before flames engulfed the vehicle.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/re...driver_pulls_victim_from_flaming_truck_wreck/

12. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

Outstanding work Trooper, congrats on being at the right place, at the right time.

13. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Administrator Staff Member

Outstanding job Trooper!

14. kwflatbed

FALL RIVER, Mass. -- The driver of a truck that caught fire and exploded in Fall River Sunday morning said his truck was shot at during a road-rage incident, triggering the inferno.
    Fire crews and state police responded to the scene near the Braga Bridge on Route 79 southbound at 6:05 a.m. Sunday, where an FLD tractor truck with no trailer was completely engulfed in flames.

Truck driver Luis Cotto, 42, of Taunton, said a black four-door Infiniti cut him off and then slowed down in front of him. He flashed his high beams, which he says provoked them, and they stopped. Cotto said the men got out of the car and beat him up when he got out of his truck. Cotto said after he stumbled back to his truck and started driving, they shot at the truck about four times, causing it to explode.

"I feel like I was in hell. Big fire. I couldn't get out. I said, 'God please help me,'" Cotto said.

The state police would not comment on Cotto's account of the incident, and said the crash remains under investigation.

"We are aware that the victim of the crash has made statements to local media about alleged events that he said occurred prior to the crash. At this time, we are not commenting on those statements," State Police spokesman David Procopio said in a statement.

Read more: http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/30499910/detail.html#ixzz1mwvFweFP

15. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

Well thats interesting. Why would you get out of the truck? especially when outnumbered!

mtc likes this.
  16. mtc

Very odd story.... REALLY dumb to get out of any vehicle for a road rager... not quite passing the smell test here.. .

17. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

18. Irishpride

Irishpride Subscribing Member

because everyone thinks they're a tough guy....then somebody pulls a gun.

HuskyH-2 and fra444 like this.
  19. trueblue

trueblue MassCops Member

Road rage? Really Cotto...just admit you fell asleep. It worked fot the Lt Gov. Also, where's the black box info?;)

mtc likes this.
  20. Wolfman

Wolfman "Ultima Ratio Civis" Staff Member

"Shot at the truck and caused it to explode"? You have to be uber-shitting me. A diesel bobtail? Has anybody told this assclown that diesel (for the most part) does not explode, and certainly wouldn't do so by hitting a sidesaddle tank with a pistol round? The flash point of diesel is somewhere around 120 degrees. Someone's been spending wayyyyy too much time watching Jason Statham action movies.

I know, they were shooting magic glow-plug incendiary explosive tip bullets loaded with ammonium nitrate fertilizer. That's the ticket.

ShmitDiesel, pahapoika and mtc like this.
  21. mtc

I'd think the actuall "explosion" would have been the engine itself, no?

22. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Administrator Staff Member

Tell the truth Fra, you were in front of this truck, farted, and that's what caused the ensuing explosion...... :D

23. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

Just to be fair 25% of the population has that ability.

[​IMG]

fra444 and USMCMP5811 like this.
  24. Nuke_TRT

Nuke_TRT Stirrer of the Pot

He saves those to dutch oven Stbrnmedic :eek:

25. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

Ok I know I'm stating the obvious, but there has got to be a lot more to this story. Love the I'm afraid for my safety so don't put my picture on the news, but it's ok to use my name, age and city I live it. Because we all know no one could find him with that info :rolleyes: Geesh I've found people with less than that and a couple internet searches. (No I'm stalking, it's genealogy research.)

26. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

USMCMP I'M INNOCENT I TELL YA!!!! INNOCENT!!!!

MTC, the only explosions I've heard at Car-B-Cues are usually tires. Given the size of tractor tires its gotta be a pretty good BOOM!

mtc and USMCMP5811 like this.