Firefighter seriously injured at Watertown fire

Discussion in 'New England' started by kwflatbed, Mar 17, 2017.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 111K+Poster

[​IMG] |
    Updated: 10:51 AM EDT Mar 17, 2017

[​IMG]
    |
    Updated: 10:51 AM EDT Mar 17, 2017

WATERTOWN, Mass. —
    A firefighter was seriously injured while responding to a 2-alarm fire in Watertown Friday morning.

Firefighters responded to the scene of a fire in the area of a Merrifield Avenue near Coolidge Square.

WCVB photographer Stanley Forman said a firefighter was seen collapsing at the scene and being taken away for treatment.

No other details were immediately available.

Stay with WCVB for more updates on this story

2. kwflatbed

3. kwflatbed

[​IMG]

Fallen firefighter Joseph Toscano was 20-year veteran, father of five
    [​IMG] |
    Updated: 4:06 PM EDT Mar 17, 2017

[​IMG]
    |
    Updated: 4:06 PM EDT Mar 17, 2017

WATERTOWN, Mass. —
    The Watertown Fire Department is dealing with a tragic loss after a longtime member of the department died Friday while at the scene of a house fire.

Related Content
    Joseph Toscano, 54, of Randolph, was fighting a two-alarm fire in the area of Merrifield Avenue near Grove and Arlington Streets. While at the scene, he suddenly collapsed after he suffered a medical emergency. Toscano was taken to Mount Auburn Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

“If I had to say anything about Joe, I’d say firefighter was number three on his list of accomplishments,” Local 1347 President Rob Mannix said. “He was as good a father as I’ve ever seen, (and) a great husband.”

Toscano is survived by his wife and five children. Mannix said Toscano was a true gentleman who had a heart of gold. “He is going to be missed.”

Toscano worked with the deputy fire chief, Bob Quinn, for 12 years, and Quinn said he was an experienced firefighter, whom he chose to serve as his aide. Quinn said Toscano’s family was devastated when they heard the news.

“I was the hospital when they arrived, and it was devastating when his five kids came into the room with his wife,” Quinn said. “He left this morning to go to work like he did every day. To have this happen, it was pretty devastating.”

Quinn said his last conversation with Toscano involved cooking, as Toscano was the cook in the group. He was going to cook shrimp over pasta for dinner instead of the St. Patrick's Day staple corned beef and cabbage because he didn't like the dish.

Toscano was a member of the department for 20 years.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  4. Tango_Sierra

Tango_Sierra MassCops Member

RIP FF Toscano

5. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

Let the bells ring 5-5-5-5.
    Rest easy.

6. dave7336

dave7336 MassCops Member

Rest in Peace