Former officer goes from living under bridge to running Boston Marathon

Discussion in 'Just Shootin' The Breeze' started by kwflatbed, Apr 8, 2017.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 109K+Poster

Former officer goes from living under bridge to running Boston Marathon
    [​IMG] |
    Updated: 10:17 AM EDT Apr 8, 2017

Associated Press

BOSTON —
    Whether solo, jogging in a crowd, or lost in the sensation of music thumping through his headphones, Danny Dwyer sees his thorny past, thankful present and unwritten future blend to form the perfect sanctuary.

This is how he trains for this year's Boston Marathon.

Each step is one away from battles with drug addiction that began when he was 8 years old. It's a struggle that's swallowed up a coveted job with the Boston Police Department and an engagement. For four years, he lived under a bridge. Now, he's rededicated his life to helping others who struggle with substance abuse.

"I can give you many low points. That's the thing about addiction," Dwyer says. "If you don't do something about it, the low point you've reached — it'll go lower."

Born in Dorchester, Massachusetts, Dwyer was the youngest of three children. His sister, Barbara, was seven years older and his brother, Billy, was five years older.

His parents divorced when he was about 6, and his mother, Frances, moved with Danny and Billy to Los Angeles.

While she worked several jobs over next two years, her sons became latchkey kids. They often hung out with older kids near their home in a poorer area of town. Those kids introduced him to marijuana.

"It's pretty wild when you think about it," Dwyer said. "To be out until 1 o'clock in the morning, skateboarding on a school night, smoking marijuana. To then being in second grade the next day practicing penmanship."

Continue Here: Former officer goes from living under bridge to running Boston Marathon

2. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Nice to see he's back on the bright !
    There's help out there, you just have to ask.

3. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

I saw this on the news a few days back. If there was ever a story of hope, here it is. I honestly feel bad for all those street bums I deal with and the many I just see, but I also know that giving them change doesn't always do them a real favor. Here's a guy who went from the top, to the bottom and now, through his own initiative, he's back and God Bless him for it.

brk120 likes this.