Quantcast

Framingham State University Police Officer I

Discussion in 'Massachusetts Employment' started by 51st MPOC#110, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Delta784 Guest

The last I saw (several years ago), Brown University PD had amber lights on their vehicles, and were not armed. Has that changed?
  2. kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 88K+Poster

http://www.brown.edu/Administration/Public_Safety/about/
    The Police and Law Enforcement Division, which is our largest division,is primarily responsible for the safety and security of the entire campus community. This division consists of 80 members who are responsible for crime deterrence, crime investigation, dignitary protection, emergency response and handling routine calls for service. Our police and security officers patrol Brown's campus by foot, bicycle and vehicle 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
    The division's sworn police officers are required to attend a state certified police academy and are also licensed as RI Special State Police Officers. All sworn officers are authorized to enforce state statutes and University rules and regulations. All of our sworn police officers are armed.
    Security officers are also authorized to enforce University rules and regulations.
    Delta784 likes this.
  3. samadam78 MassCops Member

Ya brown is armed and they have blues but i know they have a providence detail with them on weekend nights and are not expected to do much police work without providence in the mix
    Delta784 likes this.
  4. Delta784 Guest

I know I'm preaching to the converted, but why bother with a police department if they can't do anything without another police agency being present?
  5. samadam78 MassCops Member

yup he went there lol! This should lead to an enlightened conversation about members opinions of college administrations.
  6. samadam78 MassCops Member

Its just the way it is in RI though. The state doesn't support any college law enforcement at all.
  7. Delta784 Guest

I'll sum it up;

[IMG]
    samadam78 likes this.
  8. samadam78 MassCops Member

That is of course your educated opinion
  9. mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

"It’s ultimately up to Framingham State’s Board of Trustees to grant that request, said school spokesman Dan Magazu. There is no timeline for that process at this point, he added."

I'm not gonna hold my breath!
  10. Delta784 Guest

Hey, if Brandeis armed their campus police, then ANYTHING is possible.
  11. mtc High Priestess

I wouldn't want to argue against Delta's educated version of opinion... nor his experienced version....
    USMCMP5811 and Delta784 like this.
  12. samadam78 MassCops Member

not arguing at all i didn't say it wasn't a valued opinion
  13. Kilvinsky Will Work for Beer

You ARE still alive!
  14. Kilvinsky Will Work for Beer

I didn't get the first one at all but figured it was a negative dig. The last one was idiotic. The others I just sort of read without really reading them so I was luckier than you, no headache.
  15. Kilvinsky Will Work for Beer

My former father-in-law was a Brown alum. Back in 1982 he got a copy of "The Brown Alumi Journal" and there was an article about the Brown University Police. GREAT article. I've still got it somewhere and have made copies over the years. The article makes it plain and clear that these guys are real cops and the writer rode along for a couple of nights as well as the usual interviews. The subject of firearms was addressed. The only anti gun statements came from the Chief IN THAT he was saying he understood the administrations reluctance, YET felt that in time his officers should be armed. (I think it's been several years since they started carrying) So, he played it very diplomatically yet made his case. His number 2, a gentleman named Glen Normile made a stronger case for guns. I know he eventually left to head up Wheaton College in Norton but after that, ????? The chief's name escapes me at the moment but he seemed pretty squared away in the article.

RI does have a law that would allow private colleges to have a PD but other than Brown (and RISD? REALLY?) none have taken advantage. Plus the state law covering state campus PDs does allow for firearms so long as the institution's directors vote for it.

The foundations are there it's just that RI academics are too busy with thier mellow tunes, beads and headshops to see the light.
  16. 263FPD Administrator

Sounds to me like the University administration does not consider their Campus Officers to be mature enough to make their own sessions or they don't trust them. The idea of bringing in a Providence police detail in on weekends basically says "we know you are out if your league. Here's a real cop to help you out with your typical college weekend in campus.".

Why bother even having a police force in campus? Very sad indeed, but that is what you get in some campus environments.

I am guessing that Brown PD has. A steady turnover rate
  17. samadam78 MassCops Member

how is this process moving along? Did they start interviews for the new job posting?
  18. 51st MPOC#110 MassCops Member

They have the candidate picked up, know is a matter of time until they get him on board. They will be starting the process for the next CPO, also another dispatcher position just got posted.
  19. Macop Subscribing Member

Are they armed yet.
  20. 51st MPOC#110 MassCops Member

21. 51st MPOC#110 MassCops Member

Things started to move in to the right direction at FSUPD… Good Luck!!!:)
  22. Foxy85 MassCops Member

They still letting guys work under SSPO waiver? A fellow I went to in-service with said he used to work there under waiver....
  23. 51st MPOC#110 MassCops Member

Yes, they are 2 right now working with waivers and not sure if the new hire is academy trained..
  24. 51st MPOC#110 MassCops Member

25. Kilvinsky Will Work for Beer

Temp positions always confound me. "I need a paycheck to feed my family" "We'll give you one, but only for a short time." I guess it's like the Summer Cops on the Cape and such. Experience and some pay. Holiday Help at the mall.